Note to New Members ×

Beef...

shintowin

I am generally very happy with all that goes on here at the BOL site but I have developed a slight beef with some of the folks here on the classified section. In the past few weeks I've had several people contact me about items I have for sale, saying that they want to buy it, asking for my PayPal info. After I respond and subsequently tell other interested parties that the item is most likely spoken for, I never hear back from the original party who committed to buy it in the first place.

Please, to the best of your abilities, don't agree to buy something and then disappear into the shadows -- it makes selling stuff that much more difficult and keeps others who might be interested from good buying opportunities. And thanks to those who put their money where their mouths (or keyboards) are!

I was the first to reply to your last listing for the Prior asking how you would like to be paid and offered my zip code and you e-mailed me with:

I've got several people in line so let me know if you still want it. Thanks, Jeff jeff at colecomgroup dot com.

Seemed to me that for some reason you did not want to sell it to me and because I do not know you I did not want to take a chance in dealing with you. If you would have sent the information I had asked for the Prior would be sold. Kipp

</pre>

The only way around your beef is to include your paypal address in your original post and state that the first person to paypal you with the money will get the goods. It has worked well for me in the past. It's fair to all parties.

+1 to the idea, but it sucks when you and seller are using different currencies. As a buyer you lose out BIGTIME when you send a payment and it gets rejected, you get the currency conversion losses both ways. Cry as much as you want about it being a virtual-only transaction, you still get nailed by PayPal. Been there, done that, lost a healthy chunk of money into the PayPal void.

If you tell people that the first person that pays will get the item, only serious buyers will contact you for your PayPal address. Once they contact you, give them a fixed (and small) time frame to send the money before you move on to the 2nd person in line.

+1 to the idea, but it sucks when you and seller are using different currencies

I didn't know paypal did this, but it doesn't surprise me. I had a similar experience with visa. I was in LA for my buddies wedding. While I was there I bought a Zune 80 at best buy. It wouldn't turn on or work. I returned it and was refunded. Three weeks later, when I looked at my credit card statement, I was out $36 between the purchase and refund. I'm used to being taken out to dinner before I get fu**ed like that. I was pissed. Thanks for letting me know paypal will rape you the same way.

later,

Dave R.

My post wasn't really about anyone specific (except maybe the guy who said he was going to buy my Suzukas a few days ago) -- more so of the general attitude of some buyers -- so I don't understand some of these responses.

Ace: Was there something I was selling that you were interested in? I'm not sure what your response means -- I'd be happy to sell to you.

I Lovett: That was my follow up email to you after I sent you the payment info -- I had not heard back from you and I was checking to see if you still wanted the board.

Sorry to have ruffled some feathers here -- I guess I'll just try some of the posted suggestions and keep my mouth shut.