Note to New Members ×

Vacuum Bagging Pumps?? Anyone know about

boarderboy

these?

Going to build two longboard decks using Roarockit's hand pump as a learner project but next want to build my son a 120 cm V-Lam snowboard for X-mas.

Tempted to buy West Systems' venturi valve that enables a decent vacuum using a traditional compressor, which I have. However, I understand dedicated vacuum bagging pumps ustilize a diaphragm design that's much more efficient.

The venturi rig will set me back $100 plus; a diaphragm pump probably $200 plus. Ultimately hope to laminate a 170 cm all-mountain carver for myself using native poplar that's now air drying in my backyard prior to kiln drying.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

If your core is pre-cambered you are not fighting any mechanical forces. All you need to do is get the air out and keep the laminate flat.

I've never seen a snowboard done like that, but there are references to in online.

Coilers are made this way, I don't know what sort of a pump he uses though.

Drop by a scrap metal yard and pickup an old fridge compressor. By using the inlet/suction side of this pump you'll be able to generate plenty of vacuum (provided the vanes aren't worn out).

You'll need to have a reservoir as well 'cause you won't want to leave the pump running constantly. Use an old compressor tank. If everything is sealed properly... you won't need to worry about running the pump to maintain the vacuum.

On second thought... you could obtain the same result with tex1230's idea. Use a reservoir and simply keep pumping!

Only question is how far to the right I'd have to travel to collect! Pretty far from my leftward perch, I'd imagine...

Thanks to everyone for the input. Here's a link to Roarockit's take on various means of generating a vacuum.

http://thinairpress.blogsome.com/vacuum-pressure/

According to them, most electric vacuum pumps generate somewhere in the range of 13 psi. They claim 13 psi for their hand pump (for low-volume bags) as well. One independent reviewer said it takes a hell of a lot of pumping to get complete evacuation. I'll find out...

Thanks to all again.

Hope to post a pic of my first build sometime next week.