Note to New Members ×

Hanging in Chicago

Surf Quebec

As a native of chicago(wishing i was there now), ill give you a list of interesting things to do.

since youre in the loop, ill try and keep it focused around there

-michigan ave

-water tower place

-museum of science and industry

-shedd aquarium

-check out a bulls or blackhawks game at the united center

-navy pier(weather permitting)

-go to the top of the sears tower or john hancock

-bears game if theyre in town

-tour of wrigley field.

-watch second city

as for food and bars

-chicago deep dish pizza is a must( lou malnatis,uno's and due's are my favs)

-smoque bbq its on the north side though

-theres tons of bars in wrigleyville(murphys, the billygoat ect..)

-most resturants are fine

-buddy guys legends

I dont spend a lot of time in the loop. i like being on the north side more.

Chicago's the best city in the world if you make the most of it. have a good time there, theres a ton of things to do.

Hit the Hidden Shamrock on Halsted (2723 N. Halsted) for bar things-

http://www.thehiddenshamrock.com/

For blues Buddy's is great, but Kingston Mines is in the same neighborhood as the Shamrock. The neighborhoods much better around Kingston...

http://www.kingstonmines.com/

Plenty of others all over the area.

Enjoy your trip!!!

As a native of chicago(wishing i was there now), ill give you a list of interesting things to do.

-bears game if theyre in town

Holy smokes the Titans are playing at Soldier Field on Nov 9th. This would be a classic football game to see, even (or maybe especially ) for the unitiated. Dress warm it's Chicago in the fall.

The Tennessee Titans are the only undefeated team in the NFL right now and are kind of old school with a strong running game.

Bears are 4-3 with Kyle Orton getting better with every game. I think they can win this division if they stay healthy. Wow. Should be good.

My favorite big city.I was born in Evanston and used to visit my grandparents in Winetka each year until they moved to San Diego,another great town.I realized years later that even though both cities have changed considerably over the years,Chicago is still Chicago and San Diego is nothing like the place I loved to visit in my teens.When my boys are a little older, Chicago will be high on my list of cultural destinations.Right behind Disneyland ,psych:)

Since you are 'in the loop', don't miss the world's largest chrome jellybean and the Chicago Art Museum right there. There are numerous architecture tours on land and boat. If you are a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright... Oak Park has many examples of his work in addition to his early home and studio. The skating rink at millenium park probably won't be open yet.

I've been to Chicago about twice a year for the last 5 years. Shedds Aquarium is awesome and the museum of scinece and industry for touristy fun. For more local entertainment go to "The Redhedded Piano Bar", Geno's Pizza stomps Unos, Wendella Sightseeing Boats will show you a side of Chicago you don't get from walking the streets (405 N Wabash Ave, Chicago, IL 60611 (312) 337-1446), and finally Ed Debevic's. Ed Debevics is a casual dinner with a most friendly and hospitible staff. Actually I'm kidding, the staff will rip you new one. Check out the reveiw. http://centerstage.net/restaurants/ed-debevics.html

Most of the suggestions made here are good but they fall into what I'd call the typical tourist category - which is fine if that's what you're looking for or if this is your first time here. But if you're interested in more off-the beaten-path, or hidden gems around town, both near/in the Loop or just a short cab ride away - email me through my profile and I can set you up with a list, depending on what your tastes/interests are. In addition, I own a few establishments downtown and I can hook you up with some freebies (food/cocktails/tickets). Chicago is by far the best city, without question!:biggthump

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I am late with the reply, had to go to work for a few days. We had a great time in Chicago, went to the sears tower (awesome at sunset but there is a stupid movie you have to watch so budget some time if you are trying to hit sunset) and some good pizza. We tried a couple and liked Lou Malnati's best. The concierge suggested the lounge at the John Hancock building instead of the Sears tower (make sure you go to the lounge and then the lift is free os something like that), he felt the view was better. Maybe nextime for me on that one as we only had a bit of time. We went to the Sears tower because I felt obliged as an ironworker to go to the crown jewel for our trade.

If you care, there is a Bath and Body Works in the train station. It seems women everywhere love that crap so it might be good for gifts or something. Maybe you like it, I'm not going to judge, but I don't like it. Nope, not me.

I hope you don't have to park down town, it is like $30+ per day but there are lots everywhere.

The fountain is under repair, The Art Institute is under construction and you can spend all the money you want on the miracle mile so have fun.

How come no one mentioned going to our hidden jewel, Villa Olivia, and it's rockin 150 ft. of vertical :confused::confused::confused:

Other than that, it seems like everyone mentioned most anything worth mentioning with one glaring omission: GET A CHICAGO STYLE HOT DOG! Seriously, this is one of the greatest foods ever concocted. There are numerous hot dog shops down in the loop... I'm sure the concierge can point you in the right direction... Just make sure that wherever you go, you get a VIENNA BEEF brand hot dog.... :cool:

How come no one mentioned going to our hidden jewel, Villa Olivia, and it's rockin 150 ft. of vertical :confused::confused::confused:

Other than that, it seems like everyone mentioned most anything worth mentioning with one glaring omission: GET A CHICAGO STYLE HOT DOG! Seriously, this is one of the greatest foods ever concocted. There are numerous hot dog shops down in the loop... I'm sure the concierge can point you in the right direction... Just make sure that wherever you go, you get a VIENNA BEEF brand hot dog.... :cool:

dude, its all about wilmot, alpine valley and grand geneva