Note to New Members ×

KLX 250S or DRZ400?

bobdea

that's what it's coming down to...

Anyone play with either?

What about the honda CRF 230L? I'm a little wary of this one because it's air cooled and that's a potential issue on trails here that I might not make it out of second and I'll be snapping on the throttle all the time.

I'd LOVE something more sporty like CRF 450R and set it up with a with a light and mirror kit to make it road legal but price is a big part of the equation.

I almost pulled the trigger on a killer deal on a buell blast but man, I've been itching to ride trails in the worst way.

Is there really such a thing as a "killer deal" on a be last? :rolleyes:

I haven't ridden either one of those, but I will say a dual sport is the way to go. I just bought an 08 KLR and I love that thing. Its so great to be able to just jump off the pavement and hit any dirt road of trail you feel like. I had an SV650 before that which is a great bike in its own right, the KLR is just so much more versatile.

Of your two choices I'd give some thought to how you plan on riding. More road to get to the dirt, longer trips, DRZ, bigger tank and a physically bigger bike. More playing in the dirt, short pavement hops, KLX because of the lighter weight and smaller tank. Its a tough choice for sure. I'd like to have a KLX to go with my KLR if you are buying though. :ices_ange

if money wasn't an issue, then I'd say KTM 530 EXC-R.... a buddy just got one and its awesome.

Is there really such a thing as a "killer deal" on a be last? :rolleyes:

I haven't ridden either one of those, but I will say a dual sport is the way to go. I just bought an 08 KLR and I love that thing. Its so great to be able to just jump off the pavement and hit any dirt road of trail you feel like. I had an SV650 before that which is a great bike in its own right, the KLR is just so much more versatile.

Of your two choices I'd give some thought to how you plan on riding. More road to get to the dirt, longer trips, DRZ, bigger tank and a physically bigger bike. More playing in the dirt, short pavement hops, KLX because of the lighter weight and smaller tank. Its a tough choice for sure. I'd like to have a KLX to go with my KLR if you are buying though. :ices_ange

if money wasn't an issue, then I'd say KTM 530 EXC-R.... a buddy just got one and its awesome.

yeah, KTM makes some nice stuff, pricey bastards though and why I didn't even consider it. the small BMWs are nice too until you write the check (though I say that without ever being on one)

The Buell, girlfriend of a rich guy dumped it and decided she's all set with riding after experiencing road rash and a broken ankle. the bike came out with only superficial wounds other than a dented rim. So they made the offer which was hard to turn down but the bike to me would be sorta useless. I'd rather have either a cruiser that's small and comfy to ride or a dual sport.

What you illustrated is what I'm torn about, the DRZ certainly would be nice on the tar but I feel like I'd have a hard time throwing it around, I had the issue even with a WR 426. but then the KLX might leave me wanting more power.

the KLX is a fair bit cheaper and I'd probably be safer with that...

I was seriously considering a friggin' scooter for awhile then when I ripped around on a quad the other day and I remembered how much I like the dirt and getting hurt.

I would think the KLX would be way too small for you. At your size I would go with the DRZ.

the KLX sits a little lower but for trail riding that's alright, will suck suck suck on tar though..

decisions

I've been riding the bike all day, pretty mellow but it does everything I want.

pretty nice ride, I still am slow, been awhile since I've ridden

the thing is fun though, glad I didn't get anything bigger because this bike is still pretty big, just not super powerful.

Ahh, too late to chime in. I was gonna recommend Husqvarna WR250 or KTM XC-W 250 -- both two strokes. but nevertheless, congratulations with the bike. :biggthump

two strokes are not road legal.....

if they were I'd be like a pig in ****, it would be awesome.

ahh, well, your best bet for road legal two strokes would be those old bikes that have been grandfathered in.

that's my understanding of the issue, it can only be with old bikes and even then it was PITA when they were new because you had to basically beg someone at the registry and then whoever inspects it same process applies now.

two strokes are unreliable anyway, better off with what I have in all respects

Nice choice Bob! Dual sport is definately the way to go! :biggthump

I hear that 09 Kawi 250 rips.

My KTM 450 EXC Franken-bike has been awesome so far. It rips in the dirt and I've gotten it up to 80mph on the street and it still wanted more. Just put some DOT D606 Dunlops on it yesterday (90% dirt 10% street) and will test those tomorrow. Can't say I was impressed with them at 70mph on the interstate, but I won't be on the interstate that often anyways. Also put a Trail Tech Vapor on mine last week as I needed a Speedo/Odo in NM. Now that I got my DOT tires I'm heading to the DMV on Monday to get the tag.

My CBR 1000RR has been quite neglected over the past few weeks. :nono:

that happens, once you get a taste for dirt it's really hard to buy something that won't go in it

the KLX does not rip, but it's not slow either. in a ideal world I'd have MX bike setup with lights and a smaller sprocket but that **** gets pricey quick. Price is what settled it really.

The KLX was the most bang for the buck I could find.

Just bought a skid plate for it and I am gonna get my tags on monday as well I THINK.

is this guy lying?

I'm not sure which state he is in, but it is legal in many states to make any bike street legal. Typically a mirror, brake light actuated by both brake levers, DOT tires, head light/tail light and a horn (a bulb horn is acceptible) are what is needed. These are what's required in Colorado and many times the bike doesn't even get inspected when applying for the title (dependent by Sheriffs department that inspects).

I'm sure some states will have issues one way or another in regards to sound and emissions, I think that the AMA web page describes the requirements of each state

I'm not sure which state he is in, but it is legal in many states to make any bike street legal. Typically a mirror, brake light actuated by both brake levers, DOT tires, head light/tail light and a horn (a bulb horn is acceptible) are what is needed. These are what's required in Colorado and many times the bike doesn't even get inspected when applying for the title (dependent by Sheriffs department that inspects).

I'm sure some states will have issues one way or another in regards to sound and emissions, I think that the AMA web page describes the requirements of each state

True that, but did you noticed that guy say it was made by Ducati ? Im like "..."