Note to New Members ×

Ken... wall-e?

Jack M

Yo Ken.... so... no disrespect, but is wall-e <i>supposed</i> to be an homage to Short Circuit...?

Heh, those are jokes that we might have made around our friends at the office a while ago, but only after having looked around very, very carefully to make sure only the right people were within earshot ;) Don't want to commit career suicide or anything!

I think Short Circuit is one of those things that is aided by faulty childhood memories (like the Voltron cartoon). I remember thinking Short Circuit was great but I hear that if you go back and watch it now as an adult, it's just like the worst thing ever committed to film. Except for Batman and Robin and Alien 4. Re: Ally Sheedy - I just watched The Breakfast Club recently. That movie still holds up really well!

I actually still haven't seen Wall-e yet - I worked on it a long time ago and saw stuff back then, but it was all very unfinished stuff. We had our big cast/crew screening and wrap party a few weeks ago but I kind of forgot about it. I'm going to get to see it this weekend though.

But I hear it is really awesome (from jaded coworkers that have given previous Pixar movies that they've worked on bad reviews, so it's not 100% biased ;) ). It's supposed to have enough emotional oomph to make you really care about inhuman metal robots, and enough sci-fi yumminess to give all the geeks like me nerdgasms.

Neil: yeah Ben Burtt did the sound design for all the robots and probably all the other stuff, too - I've heard a bunch of the sound tests for the characters as well as some early footage and it was pretty awesome. The guy is really good at getting emotion and feeling out of very weird, complex, synthetic, mechanical sounds.

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally saw Wall-e last weekend and I thought it was awesome. There's one scene with a bunch of dialogue that I thought was a little clumsy, but aside from that it is pretty much totally solid, and maybe the first 30 minutes (the first act) made the sci-fi nerd in me just completely crap my pants.

Critics are going nuts over it - we're at 97% fresh on RottenTomatoes, with stuff like:

"The fact that Wall-E's not merely adorable, but central to a serious, thoughtful, adult story is still another illustration of Pixar's downright heroic commitment to the craft."

"Not only does it provide further proof of Pixar's unprecedented brilliance, but it may have actually elevated their game to a whole new level."

"WALL-E's bumbling courtship of the completely indifferent EVE has as much truth about humanity's sweetness and perseverance as any piece of great literature."

"WALL*E is not only a triumph in terms of style, it's also a triumph in terms of story. There's a real emotional resonance and depth to this material."

"By turns sad, hilarious, exciting and, ultimately, hopeful, this is a film of Great Truths masquerading as child's play."

...and my favorite :D :

"WALL-E is probably the sweetest movie ever made about humans destroying the earth."

Sorry about the extensive plug; after having seen it, I'm super, super proud to have been a part of it. It was pretty amazing, and it's kind of humbling to have only been a part of the technical/artistic part, and not with the story, which is what actually makes it amazing. We had multiple grown men sniffles in the audience over the fate over a trash compactor. Say what you will; that's real storytelling.

Perhaps the biggest thing that is being left out about the critique of the movie is the "human" nature that Wall-e developed while observing the "ancient" culture of humans. That was what made "Wall-e" who he was. And near the end, when it was thought that "Wall-e", or at least his "spirit" was lost... I heard people choking back tears. Yeah, the political enviormental thing was good, but the personal, "Wall-e" / "Eva".... and the simple... "touch"... "hold my hand"... That was brilliance.