Note to New Members ×

K2 approach skiis

P06781

Try sweat talkin Ed out of his? Not likely. But you never know. I think he bought them around the same time you did?

Nice job on the Mt Hood Report. Glad you guys had a good time!

I will keep and eye out for you too.

What was the length?

Thanks Bryan , They were 110cm. I might end up buying a split now.

Been thinking of doing this with my 192, and getting a new one, just don't have the heart to saw down the middle of a perfect board..

We should go in together and get prior or donek to make us each a copy of the 192. Yes thought about splitting one too but havent gotten the guts yet but have a well used one ready.

There is a guy on splitboard.com who has been doing a very nice job on various boards. He does them with an inside edge. If you supplied the split kit, he could do the starting work for you. His screen name is monk151, go over there and look at some of his work in the classifieds, an Arbor 170 is one, Rossi 159 half gun, 169 O-sin 3800. I've liked what I've seen, but my 192 is almost new, so I am not sure I want to cut it up. If I could find a 192 with a bad insert or two, or some cosmetic damage, I'd pick it up and do it. Or I will have to buy one of the newer ones from hardbooter.com and split my pearly white one. Still trying to scrape up the cash for the Rad-Air 164 LSD that RJ has. If only....Prior would build us two, match the flex etc. gonna be big $$ going that way.

P.S. just sent him an email, I'll keep you posted. I'd offer to do it, but my homemade table saw jig isn't big enough. And I do not know how to do a proper job on the inside edge.

Jon,

Saw your post on splitboard.com. Thanks for helping! What do you think about a venture Diviide split 180cm Medium width. Its kind like a Tanker 182 ? Its still $1200 but comes complete. ooch

http://www.venturesnowboards.com/index_07.php?inc=divide.html

Also found approach skiis to buy but sold out till next fall.

http://www.skiboards.com/product/backcountry/hagan/hagan-grizzly-99cm-skiboards.html

Anyways might be using snowshoes tomorrow at TLine .... Lots new today with sun tomorrow.

Jim

hey - I have a pair of salomon snowblades I'd sell CHEAP - if you have some freeheel bindings and skins that would probably work...

maybe a crazy idea but if you're interested they're just taking up space in my garage.

Most old snowblades only have a waist width of 70-80 if they are >100 and at least 100cm long then yes with cheap at bindings it might work . The skiboard guys say get this one...but for that $ -getting a split.

http://www.skiboards.com/product/skiboards/summit/summit-marauder-125cm-skiboards.html

Jim

I'd be more inclined to do the 179 narrow. Other than the length, it's about perfect with a 24 waist. I don't know if they do any customs, though, so that is about what they have.

Yes they do customs and will call to see what it would cost? You think a narrow would be good closest to a tanker 192 at 242ww.... Now if they only could make to longer...

Jim

Yes they do customs and will call to see what it would cost? You think a narrow would be good closest to a tanker 192 at 242ww.... Now if they only could make to longer...

Jim

I would be trying to imitate the Tanker as closely as possible. The guy hasn't mailed me back yet on splittin' a Tanker, so we wait....

Jon and Jim, I had a pretty extensive chat with Harry about splitting a tanker and he recommends not doing it as the way the core and fiberglass weave was done it would really weaken the material if you split it. I am on split volkl skis now as I just could not enjoy the split as much as my tanker. I have both the k2 approach skis with dynafit tlt bindings on them and the o-rogers split skis and I love them both and don't mind carrying the extra gear in/on my pack as the ride down is that much better on my tanker. It would be interesting to see if you could get sean at donek or chris at prior to build our community some ascent skis with inserts already in them or even maybe a folding or collapsable ski. I remember reading a while back that one of the guys on the forum (zach davis) had been testing a prototype, but decided to go with karhu meta's with bomber bindings on them http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=12189&highlight=karhu

will be interesting to hear what you two come up with. cheers, sandy

Zach was on approach skis with the Dynafit toe pieces, and climbing bars. Been thinking of getting some kids skis and setting them up that way, or look for some other brand approach skis. On long approaches, you need that glide ability, on steep soft snow I would use my Verts. They climb very well, faster than the switchbacking on split/skis.

Jon & Sandy,

This wouldnt even be a issue for me if I wouldnt have dropped a ski into the sulfur vent on hood. The k2 approach skis worked really well and I didnt mind carrying them at all. The ideal approach ski would be just a little longer and have a wider waist for more float in soft snow than the K2's. But now i cant find anything at all except this summit 125cm skiboards but need skins and bindings to go on it. The summits are ideal however... http://www.skiboards.com/product/skiboards/summit/summit-marauder-125cm-skiboards.html

I might be able to get the skiis for <200 yet? Any idea for bindings? Found some old silvereeta 404 At bindings on ebay that I might try to get for <50? Any other ideas? For skins I guess cut down some long ones?

Now about the split , after reading the old thread I am torn on what to do.

After doing a hut trip in Eastern Oregon I know I would love the float of a split but hate the angles of the bindings. Now does anyone know what or how prior got angles up to 50 on the ATV split?

Venture snowboards seems like pretty cool group and have offered the same price for a custom split as production. It is very tempting project to do but want to know prior secret for the ATV. Maybe someone on splitboad.com knows but they are mostly softbooters...

BTW the divide 180 narrow specs are very clone to the Tanker 182 or 192 specs....

http://www.venturesnowboards.com/index_07.php?inc=divide.html

See pic of Tanker sticker.

Keep the info coming....:biggthump

post-219-14184225838_thumb.jpg

Jim,

Kids skis?

AT bindings?

Too heavy?

I have both if you want to explore this option.

I think I have a single salomon "Skiboard" ski somewhere too. I do not remember the size.

It is your's if you want it.

Bryan

Funny I thought the same thing but there is a BC skiboard community out there and bomber even makes bindings for them! The ones i am looking at are the perfect approach size 125cm long & 110mm waist = float. Most other ones are very narrow and too short. Check to see what you have.

AT binding are heavy ? I really dont know but want something simple and light....ideas? for something cheap....

Jim

Sorry, I missed that one. They moved the puck inserts inboard a little bit to make the angles a bit easier to get there. The only issue I see with that is you need to widen the stance to fit the tracks onto the pucks around the tour brackets. I'll post up a pic of my homemade split to try to give you an idea of how crowded it gets, and I'm only 38f/30r @ about 19.5 inches wide. Eric of orcarve had posted a pic or two of his mods to get higher angles over somewhere on splitboard.com, I'll try to find the thread.

Do the search mode, go to catek mod, find Eric's post in the board review section.