Note to New Members ×

How many switch boards in the Spring?

Miguel

I went to Okemo for a few days during Spring Break. It was great...apparently everyone else went to Florida...can't figure why! Anyway...I took my Incline because I knew the snow would be real soft....and it was. I had fun but found myself wishing I was riding my Freecarve because I like the higher stance angles and the quickness side to side. I was just wondering how many people switch to wider boards in spring conditions or do you continue to ride the skinnys and adjust your ridng style. I've had a few very violent over the handlebars falls in sping conditions but I attribute that to being too aggressive and not adjusting my riding to a more laid back softer touch approach. BTW...this was an awesome year for me...at least 60 days... for a weekend warrior that ain't too bad. I'm now officially a kayaker...at least until the snow flies again...can't wait!:D

I too make the switch....reluctantly to my freeride set-up! Not necessarily because of the soft snow but more for the thin coverage/ bare spots towards the very end of the season! I had gone out on April 10th ( my 45th day! ) and I was riding my Hot Shine 154 which has a 20cm waist! It's wider than my other carving decks and the conditions were corn on crust and man was it great!

Hey Miguel, I see that you have an Incline! How do you like it compared to other freeride boards and do you run plates or freeride bindings?

I've been thinking about replacing my freeride ( powder/glades/moguls/early & late season board ) and I have been looking at an Incline.

Happy trails

When the season comes to an end, I switch over to the coil. However I still use the TD1 bindings. It was a good season that ended too soon. Vermont didn't get a good snowfall like in the past.

It was a good thing the north east was very cold in January and early February.

I go to a narrower board stiff as I can find in the low 180s or so

at speed they feel better than softer setups and the wide stuff knocks me around when its wet and chopped up

the key points to my spring riding is go crazy fast ,keep it pointed down hill as much as possible and being careful not to bury that nose

I find spring conditions to be a huge confidence builder very easy to ride in just not to lay out euros

I realize I do the exact opposit of other riders go to soft, wide and short stuff but this is what I have found works for me

Originally posted by bobdea

the key points to my spring riding is go crazy fast ,keep it pointed down hill as much as possible and being careful not to bury that nose

Yeah, that about sums it up for me too.

The slopes are empty and the slush is slow, so it's time to really point it downhill and go fast. It's not really possible (for me anyway) to carve hard across the fall-line in the slush, so I just sit on the back foot a little, and feel the back half of the board carving through the slush like a rudder.

More fun than switching to soft boots or a wider board, IMO.

I think next year I'll try staying on the skinny board longer and adjust my style.

As for Jeff...I really do like the Incline. I rode it with my step in Bombers but and really got into the bumps this spring. I feel the hard boots are an advantage as they give me more stable support when landing jumps around and through the moguls. I did experiment quite a bit with the boots such as riding in the walk mode, loose/tight and different forward leans. The jury is still out on that one. I also liked the shorter length of the incline in the bumps....it's a 164...my freecarve is a 171. When conditions are better the Incline will still carve very well. It's a great do everything all mountain type of board. I am anxious to see how I can ride the bumps on my freecarve next year.

Miguel