Note to New Members ×

Prior WCR Metal 2009, sneak peak preview

BlueB

During WES Prior's demo tent had the 2009 line up of metal boards. Major change is that there's no more metal top sheets. Titanal is now burried under layers of glass and carbon fibre stringers. Metal stops a bit short of the edge of top sheet, so you can not lift it even if you dinged right through the glass layer. Semi-translucent top sheet allows you to see all of that - it looks really cool. Shape is basically the same, the only difference is even further refined flex and slightly decambered nose. I demoed one which still had the metal top sheet, but new shape - it worked like a dream. Super easy and smooth ride, effortless initiation.

Later on, Dave and I run into Chris Prior and had few laps with him. He rode the Cateks OS2, aka "board brakers", without any padding, purposly and was basically kicking the $hit out of the board to see what happens. No dameges so far...

- "no more metal top sheets"...

- "Titanal is now burried under layers of glass"...

- "slightly decambered nose"...

Someone is "learning" from the SG Race T. board...Good board to "look at" since SG board won the World Cup.

Seb

- "no more metal top sheets"...

- "Titanal is now burried under layers of glass"...

- "slightly decambered nose"...

Someone is "learning" from the SG Race T. board...Good board to "look at" since SG board won the World Cup.

Seb

Nah, I guess that someone got idea from Shred's post in this forum :)

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?p=179855#post179855

Bruce Vasara will continue to get my "Freecarving Dollars" since his pricing is ~20-40% cheaper than the competition.

Frankly I could care less who is winning the World Cup. It seems all of the board makers are taking notes on what is winning though and that is a good thing.

I have to agree with that, as well as I have to add that as long as you're patient the level of service you get from him is unreal.

he does custom shapes for less than half of what prior would and I like the boards Bruce builds better in general when it comes to build quality and durability.

that said, the WCR metal is still one of the best rides in it's price range and worth every penny, look at what good set of skis cost....

topsheets on metal, ummmm I think the ski industry figured that out 30 years ago and checker pig did 15 years ago

nothing really new indeed...skis were like that in the 60's already ( Duret, Rossi etc..) and snowboards like oxygen also figured that out.... efficiency/durability ratio must have taken its toll in the last two seasons....i see a racer beeing ok to brake a board every here and then if he still wins races... but Mr Doe cant afford this, and it must have put every manufacturer with metal topsheets under customer service pressure....

Its funny to see this as a total revolution.... things come back from the past, are reinterpreted etc....aluflex has been doing alu topsheets since the 60's, now they even do skateboards like this...i think the major change in the last years is the understanding that softflex is better and width can also be good somehow....

Nils

Not totally marketing. The first metal priors were covered to help with durability, but didn't ride as well as the ones that were not covered, so for performance the boards were left with a titinal top sheet. If prior figured out what SG is doing (protecting the titinal and providing top of the line performance) then the boards are probably really good.

During WES Prior's demo tent had the 2009 line up of metal boards. Major change is that there's no more metal top sheets. Titanal is now burried under layers of glass and carbon fibre stringers. Metal stops a bit short of the edge of top sheet, so you can not lift it even if you dinged right through the glass layer. Semi-translucent top sheet allows you to see all of that - it looks really cool. Shape is basically the same, the only difference is even further refined flex and slightly decambered nose. I demoed one which still had the metal top sheet, but new shape - it worked like a dream. Super easy and smooth ride, effortless initiation.

quote]

Manage sneak a shot...:rolleyes: ATV & far left look cool...OOooh no:nono:, no more spend...:smashfrea

Roy:ices_ange

post-6136-141842256669_thumb.jpg

This is exciting news for me. I won the Prior snowboard certificate at SES, and since that was the end of the snowboarding season for me I decided that I'd wait until this fall to use it and get a 2009 model board. I already own a Prior 4WD and decided that a metal WCR would be my choice for a new Prior, perhaps in a custom 169 length. However, I was a little wary of the durability of the exposed titanal top, and preferred Coiler's approach with the titanal protected under a glass topsheet, so these new 2009 Priors sound perfect. I'm also hoping that they'll be a little springier/livelier than the current metal WCR boards.

Brad B.