Note to New Members ×

Little Dude starting to Carve......

eaglez

Does your local slope have a "magic carpet"? It's like when you go to the grocery store and put your stuff on the "belt". It takes you up without the lift. I tried once to take my, at the time, 5 year old on lift access slopes with a ski harness and that was miserable. It wasn't fun for either of us. I found if I backed off and lowered my "expectations" she grew faster on her own. Best advice I could give, being through it myself, is keep it fun, don't critisize, keep it fun, envolve others that she knows, keep it fun, get hot chocolate and whatever she wants from the lodge, keep it fun, buy her stuff from the ski shop when she makes a "break through", keep it fun, and this is most important.... keep it fun.

Important phrases for a young one, pointed out by a young one.

refused to ski last year at 3 years old because mommy and daddy board.This year after seeing his 2 year old little brother having fun on skis(a few yards at a time)he decided to try skiing again.We think the 15 or so sessions he's had boarding gave him a great head start as he was standing tall and remarkably well forward in his ski boots.Hmmm,can hardbooting be far off?:)

Does your local slope have a "magic carpet"? QUOTE]

Nope, no magic carpet.... we've got a rope tow!!! yeah!!! hahaahahh.... and a beginner hill with a double fall line at the top, then pretty much flat for the bottom 2/3rds! The advantage is that since I teach there, my daughter knows a lot of the other instructors and absolutely adores my boss. I think she would do just about anything she can to try to impress him, and he's the one that takes her up the chairlift, then I ski down with her. (We all know that moms and dads(?) can't do anything right!)

......keep it fun, don't critisize, keep it fun, envolve others that she knows, keep it fun, get hot chocolate and whatever she wants from the lodge, keep it fun, buy her stuff from the ski shop when she makes a "break through", keep it fun, and this is most important.... keep it fun.

So you're saying that keeping it fun is fairly important. :rolleyes:

So you're saying that keeping it fun is fairly important. :rolleyes:

I've seen it done other ways, like where the parent becomes more of a drill sergant yelling at the kid to stop crying, (never understood that) but I think the fun way will keep them waking up before you and waiting by the car anxious to go.

I've seen it done other ways, like where the parent becomes more of a drill sergant yelling at the kid to stop crying, (never understood that) but I think the fun way will keep them waking up before you and waiting by the car anxious to go.

Now, the stop crying part I haven't personally experienced (a 200 pound, 6 foot person crying due to a man yelling about skiing attracts too much attention anyway) but I REFUSED to try setting an edge until my dad yelled at me over it, and that was a fantastic thing he did, because now I am here.

I actually saw a kid fall from the chair after the dad raised the bar and he didn't know and leaned back forward. Fell ten feet to a flat landing. I got down there about the same time as dad. He was screaming at the kid to get up and quit fooling around. When I cautioned not to move him, that ski patrol would come and check him out etc. He yelled at me "I'm a doctor and he's fine."

:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire

People like that don't deserve kids. And mine are a blessing 100 % in spite of the challenges of being a good parent.

Love the pro kid stoke on this thread.

Now, the stop crying part I haven't personally experienced (a 200 pound, 6 foot person crying due to a man yelling about skiing attracts too much attention anyway) but I REFUSED to try setting an edge until my dad yelled at me over it, and that was a fantastic thing he did, because now I am here.

I have to admit that there were a couple of times that I had to get "firm" with him about setting an edge and about how to fall correctly to minimize injury. I think the old Nike slogan came into play a couple of times too, you know what to do "JUST DO IT".

D.:biggthump

Well, part of the problem is I wanted to be like my brother..

Straightline for about 20 feet, stop, try to steer, repeat.

I was thinking "Ahh..my dad's a skier, he doesn't understand"

Now..I realize being like a skier is exactly what to do.

Except, our bindings hold on regardless of what you do, and we are fewer in number.

(Don't correct me on that one, it's EXTREMELY general, just for the sake of a short post)

Jerry- Was the kid alright? I'm glued to the back of the lift. I have no fear of falling, no fear of heights. Just a fear of landing.

Does he know what he has there? He is a lucky lil dude!!!!

k

I think he will, once he rides it compared to the used Burton 135 FP he rides now. And when RJ posted that he had a brand new 140cm one available that I could have for a little over $300 US shipped, I couldn't pass it up. I think we may have to mount her up this weekend for a day before everything shuts down here. I can see this board moving through the different mini rippers on BOL as it gets grown out of.

me in line!! The little lady is 5 next month and the little dude turned 3 in Jan.

Very cool to see little people on hb's.

K

The nice thing that seems to be happening is that companies like Donek and SG are now making the shorter stuff. So maybe we are in for other companies doing it as well. Not everyone can get a new one at full retail (I know I wouldn't have been able to ship one from Europe at full retail). But the fact that they are being produced means that as time passes there will be more high quality small used gear hitting the market. Or maybe just vacuumed up by local race teams to give to the new recruits.

Jerry- Was the kid alright? I'm glued to the back of the lift. I have no fear of falling, no fear of heights. Just a fear of landing.

Yeah he actually skied away. Kind of like Fred "missed-my-line-and-accidently-dropped-a-300-footer" Ryerson except he landed on his face more than his side. Knocked the wind out of him more than anything. At least it was close to the snow. Another 30 feet up the hill and he would have landed in the net. Still very scary and not fun to witness. Dr Dad wouldn't even let the ski patrol check him out. Just the epitome of bad parenting if you ask me.

photodad - great vid of your girl riding. What a great smile when she is coming down. My 6 yr old still had a little bit of the slightly gripped not quite sure how to make this thing go where she wants look. But she is starting to relax on heelside some. Looks like I have an hour after lessons today to ride with her. :biggthump

And we have short magic carpets here, but that one you have looks like it is a quarter mile long. Great for the newbies I bet.