Note to New Members ×

How's the snow holding up?

bobble

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks heading up north this weekend might want to reconsider if it's snowing hear home. We haven't had any appreciable snow in weeks; several freeze/thaw cycles and now some cooler weather means a thin layer of milled 'snow' on top of a pretty solid (ice) base. Here's the forecast for this weekend:

Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around 15. Northeast wind 15 to 20 mph decreasing to between 5 and 10 mph. Winds could gust as high as 30 mph.

Saturday: A 20 percent chance of snow after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 30. North wind between 5 and 10 mph.

Saturday Night: A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 13. North wind between 5 and 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.

Sunday: A 20 percent chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 28. North wind around 5 mph

Haven't made it to Giant's Ridge or Lutsen, so can't comment on either.

we got out on the road around 6:30am. got onto 35E. roads were not ideal. somewhat slippery. left lane had snow. top speed was maybe 50 mph. there were alot of people out on the roads driving single file in the right lane and no one was passing. saw some guy try to pass and fish tailed.

we decided to turn around about 15 miles into the trip.

maybe next weekend.

"Radar shows snow most of the way" - no sign of it here in Duluth.

Bit of a crap shoot whether/how things soften - hard and scrapy if it doesn't; just a little and it would be fun; too much and it'll be sloppy. Or what I found earlier this week when one side of the runs would be sun softened, and the shaded side still hard......

Sounds like Jolson will still get out - I'll be interested to hear what he finds!

Spirit this morning was fair I guess but it is the last weekend before shutdown. I had the first run down the hill and ran for the next hour and a half without any traffic. Ice underneath but enough edge to hold and so it was not all bad. I had to leave as the sun started to loosen it up so I am hoping for tomorrow to be be better. All in all good weather and sorry to hear that south was bad weather but that maybe some snow stuck to the hills down there. :cool:

Spirit faces east, so gets strong morning sun; if tomorrow is like most other days this week, it'll start out hard, then suddenly soften (and be quite fun) for a couple of hours, then get sloppy later in the day....

Let me know if you do come up; I might be able to squeeze out a couple of hours.

Russ

I can't resist!!! I'll watch the temps in the morning, probably drop in for an hour or two mid-morning (pending any random acts of god, of course).

OK, so the question: the express chair at Spirit is sometimes referred to as the 'four forty four' lift, particularly by folks that have been around for quite a few years - what does it stand for?

Spirit Mountain employees, NSP members, and relatives of Spirit Mountain employees and NSP members are not allowed to enter this contest.:nono:

Russ, I see great things in your future as Pat Sajek and Alex Trebek look for replacements........I'll abstain from answering as I have more than an unfair advantage........

Can I meet you at the Ski Patrol Office just ahead of your 8:30 Start tomorrow (Sat) to grab the cant plate insert?....

Dave and Richard (both from the cities) hooked up with Jim and I; Jim brought out his Prior; 4 hardbooters together on the quad lift; sunshine, decent conditions - it doesn't get any better than this!

I want to be like Dave when I grow up - he's the smoothest, most relaxed looking carver I've ever seen....

Tomorrow's the close for Spirit, but planning to hit Giant's Ridge later in the week.

BTW - the Spirit Mountain trivia question contest is still open!

So, its over (at least for me) until next season. Spirit Mt. held up fairly well as the temps rose and it was one heck of learning curve this year with new(er) equipment and lots of very good advice to try and save me from myself.

A really good morning yesterday early with Russ and then Dave and Richard from the Twin Cities adding to mix for the last weekend. What a blast. Thanks to Russ on the use and access to equipment and the great weekend morning sessions. I assume now that he has the red National Ski Patrol Jacket coming for next year (way to go) that he can still spare the time for us mere mortals.

Spirit locked down today, Giants Ridge open this week, and Lutsen selected hours for the next two. Have at it Russ.

Indianhead in Da Up received 13 inches of snow yesterday and they will be open until the 6th. I'm a little poopy because Al is going out of town and I can't convince any of my punkarse friends to do a road trip with me. I hate to drive for 4 1/2 hours by myself.

:angryfire

• 2 weeks later...

Extended Season – April 19 & 20

"With plenty of snow on the mountains, 40 degree days, and clear skies…spring skiing doesn’t get any better than this! We’ve extended the season one more weekend with 2 for 1 lift and lodging specials, making it a remarkably affordable weekend! Lutsen will be running with 30 – 40 runs on three mountains".

Temps this week forecast around 50 with several nights above freezing, so this would be it for sure!