Note to New Members ×

Brighton, Snowbird, or Solitude?

AccidentalChef

Finals are over, and spring break is here... :biggthump I'm leaving for Utah for a week on Saturday, and I've got the choice between Brighton, Snowbird, or Solitude each day. Any suggestions on which resorts to hit, or which runs to take? I consider myself beginner/intermediate (depending on the day).

Also, anyone in the area who might want to meet up? I'll be there with a bunch of people from school, who I'll probably only make a few runs with (no carvers among them, sadly), so it'd be great to find someone to dig some trenches with.

It's been a while since I have been there about 8 years and it was on a freeride board, not hardboots.

I rememebr runs under Eagle express lift at Solitude to be nice groomed cruisers, even in soft set up so hard boots would be cool.

I dont remember Brighton so much for groomers, I spent s good bit of my time searching tress and stuff.

I love Snowbird, but it seems most of what is there is for freeriding and freestyle, not carving but I could be wrong. Once again it was a place I spent the day exploring.

For carving I would hit Solitude, but I could be wrong.

Check the trail maps.

I haven't been to Solitude yet, but in the future I will avoid Snowbird. It's basically two big bowls back to back, and there are virtually no trees to be found. I can see how it would be fun for a while after a big dump, but it becomes tracked pretty fast. The snow is also the worst I've seen in Utah, probably due to the exposure of the slopes.

I haven't been to Solitude yet, but in the future I will avoid Snowbird. It's basically two big bowls back to back, and there are virtually no trees to be found. I can see how it would be fun for a while after a big dump, but it becomes tracked pretty fast. The snow is also the worst I've seen in Utah, probably due to the exposure of the slopes.

Ummmmm.....

Snowbird has some of the best trees / off-piste terrain in Utah.

There are still un-touched stashes days after a storm.

Ya just gotta know where to go......

Brighton was my fav for trees.....Snowbird best for all mountain/freestyle stuff. Chubz is right....eagle chair best for carving.

Solitude was wide open and the best for laying it down.....it is much smaller and there aren't as many choices as the other 2.

Try to hook with a local.....pick them up hitch hiking usually works...them to pay you back they will show you some sweet back country.

Have fun!

I've been at Solitude the last 2 days, and loved it both times. Sunday was a powder day, and my first day on a Dupraz D1 (Thanks, Bola!). The D1 was amazing in powder, and still did well on the hardpack. Today, I spent some time on the WCR, trying to get used to a long board with a longer sidecut. Had a blast both days, and saw a hardbooter ripping it up today, but couldn't catch up with him. I'll be out somewhere wednesday and friday, probably Solitude at least one of those days.

I've been at Solitude the last 2 days, and loved it both times. Sunday was a powder day, and my first day on a Dupraz D1 (Thanks, Bola!). The D1 was amazing in powder, and still did well on the hardpack. Today, I spent some time on the WCR, trying to get used to a long board with a longer sidecut. Had a blast both days, and saw a hardbooter ripping it up today, but couldn't catch up with him. I'll be out somewhere wednesday and friday, probably Solitude at least one of those days.

AC,

Glad I was able to get the D1 to you in time for you to play on it. I WHACKED a tree with my 200 and it is now wall art. :(

How are the toesides coming on the WCR?

Ink

Oh man, sorry to hear about the Tanker. Thanks again for meeting me with the D1. Toesides are pretty solid now on the WCR now, and I'm getting lower on it now than I've ever gotten on the Burton. Heelsides are coming together, but sometimes I get leaned over too far and can't get back up. I'll get some more practice tomorrow, I'm loving the stability of the longer board.

DO NOT GO TO Brighton as they have cattracks cut across trails you want to ride!!! I wa just there and took a lesson from a guy who was not much better than me and he told me to go down this trail so i could watch him come towards me. Came over as lip and they had a cattrack cut directly across the trail. I was in a toe-side doing mach2 and had a moment to realize it wasn't going to go well. Dropped at least three feet to the other side of the trail and crashed and burned trying to suck it up. Wouind up with two cracked ribs on the right sde, bruised and torn cartilage of my ribs on the left side, severely sprained wrist, and almost a concussion. The instructor said it was his fault and knew the f------ thing was there. The mountain knew they had a problem but didn't even deal with it. Solitude is wherre you want to go as they have some good groomers and are wide open. Bird is good but will be a challenge to get to terraign you can handle.

I spent today at Brighton. 7-8" of fresh on the mountain, so I took out the Dupraz. I didn't like most of the trails at the mountain, but I did have lots of fun on the Snake Creek lift. I couldn't tell you which trails, since I spent a lot of time making wrong turns. The Dupraz was great though. Felt like surfing in powder, and still railed through the chop in the afternoon. Even better, I think I may have figured out cross through today, trying to spend as much time on edge and as little time flat as possible through the chop. If tomorrow is a powder day, I'll probably hit snowbird. If not, back to Solitude again on the WCR. I've learned the mountain and I'm happy with their grooming. Anyone want to meet up? I'll be in black pants, an olive green jacket, and a black full face helmet. I'll likely spend most of my morning on the greens, but I think the stuff I figured out today on the Dupraz will transfer well to the WCR and I might move to the Eagle lift by the end of the day if I have the energy.