Note to New Members ×

Taos - who will be first?

rschneid

From the Taos Web Site

".....Long known as a ski-only destination, Taos Ski Valley announced earlier this season that the resort would be welcoming snowboarders on March 19, 2008. To celebrate the change, a snowboarding division has been added to the Freeride Cha......"

So is anyone going outthere to report on the best runs for carving? Someone to set the bar?

Rich S.

I'll be there on March 19th. I'm already starting to feel sick... ;)

That's a Wednesday so it might not be a complete zoo. That first weekend 22/23 should be crazy though.

If anybody would like to join me that would be great. Just email me via my profile.

I'll do a ride report shortly thereafter. Look for it in the NM ride board. I know there's some BOL folks that have skied there already so perhaps they can tell me what are the best runs? Otherwise I'm just going to follow the groom...

I'll try to do some pics and video of the opening day. I'm mainly going for the experience.

I've thought about calling the management and seeing if they'd let a hardbooter go earlier than the 19th. The skiers would be confused anyways so why not!

...but won't give them the satisfaction of my business for a while. Just threw us a bone with the end-o-season slush and mud, anyway. Gonna take a while to get over my resentment of their resentment.

Skied every run they offered in the mid-80s, got on a board and never looked back the year after, and never looked at Taos as a family destination again with my $4,000 or so annual riding expenditures. Doubt if they'll miss me though-- with all the buzz about the opening.

My Brother-in-law skis and snowboards. He, and my sister were planning to go to Taos this march with a group of friends they do an anual ski trip with. He prefers to snowboard. When he thought about it, he decided he'd rather not be required to ski. They'll be at Stowe for ECES instead.:biggthump

I will be going opening day.

I am betting it will be a complete zoo, because everyone is out on spring break, plus everyone that isn't will skip work to go out the first day. I also bet the 18th will be bad too, because all the skiers will want to go out to be a part of the "end of an era":rolleyes:.

I have been planning ahead and already I'm looking at what runs they usually groom. Plus I bet on the first day they will groom even more than regular to accommodate the single-plank riders.

Has anyone heard of Experience Snowboards? According to the Bomber dealer's page, they have Hardboot gear (at least TD2's), so the owner or someone that works their might be a hardbooter.

I'll be there on March 19th. I'm already starting to feel sick... ;)

That's a Wednesday so it might not be a complete zoo. That first weekend 22/23 should be crazy though.

If anybody would like to join me that would be great. Just email me via my profile.

I'll do a ride report shortly thereafter. Look for it in the NM ride board. I know there's some BOL folks that have skied there already so perhaps they can tell me what are the best runs? Otherwise I'm just going to follow the groom...

I'll try to do some pics and video of the opening day. I'm mainly going for the experience.

I've thought about calling the management and seeing if they'd let a hardbooter go earlier than the 19th. The skiers would be confused anyways so why not!

yeah, perhaps you could do it in the name of writing a mountain review, hmm, new section of BOL idea perhaps

mountain reviews

hmmm

Something of a quandary for me. I can think of numerous golf courses in MD (where I live) in recent years that have "gone public". Formerly country clubs, they have seen dues paying members drop in numbers and posture themselves differently only when forced to do so by financial hardship. I have no desire to pay money to the same people that for so long claimed that they had no need for my money and now suddenly do. I'll reconsider if there were a change in ownership/management. Might seem spiteful, but I see it as principled. This has nothing to do with "diversity" or "inclusiveness" or any other p.c. buzzword/euphemism. They no more want snowboarders than they ever have before. They want more $ and less pr problems. Stockholder driven?, $$$$ driven, marketing? Whatever.

Hold your breath while they groom down some screamer blue runs for the hard booters, or throw up some terrain features for the jibbers. The noses will remain in the air while they take your lift and lunch money to the bank.

Eventually the world will be round there too, but I'd rather patronize the folks over the hill at Angel Fire that have always been there for us.

Hold your breath while they groom down some screamer blue runs for the hard booters, or throw up some terrain features for the jibbers. The noses will remain in the air while they take your lift and lunch money to the bank.

Eventually the world will be round there too, but I'd rather patronize the folks over the hill at Angel Fire that have always been there for us.

I agree . . . and will spend elsewhere

My husband and I have been trying to figure out a way to get some snow time in this year and a quick flight to Alberkoo-koo may be happening in a week or 2. He loves Taos as a skiier and I'd be going as one, too....but it should be interesting in any case to see what happens. They're big thing was they thought their terrain was too technical for snowboarding and, according to my husband, they have more green runs than they used to this year. Makes me wonder if they'll have certain lifts "ski only"....

Sure it's going to be a zoo, but hey I'm mainly going for the experience. I plan on getting there early and try to get 1st tracks as a boarder. I'm sure the staff has taken the first true tracks at Taos, but maybe the first customer?

This is quite a big deal for Taos. There might be some media there, and hey why not the crazy lookin guy with the ski boots and orange flamed longboard who came an hour early to get 1st chair? ;)

I'll get a little taste of what Taos is about then go back when it's completely dead. :biggthump

Going on the 19th is all about the experience. I'll get the noon virgin cord day another time.

I don't understand this screw Taos since they banned us for so long stance mindset. I've ony lived here for a few years now. I know a few people here that have already said Taos will never get any of their money. So hey that's more for me. It's new terrain to ride so why not? I hear it's pretty darn good too...

They're big thing was they thought their terrain was too technical for snowboarding and, according to my husband, they have more green runs than they used to this year. Makes me wonder if they'll have certain lifts "ski only"....

I'm 99.99999% sure the mountain is 100% open to snowboarders. None of this skier only crap.

I have read on some Taos blog that there are a few flat spots that may cause some issues for boarders since we don't have poles. Outside of that I think a boarder can ride anything a skier can, and around here I'm passing more skiers than are passing me anyways.

If anybody is coming to NM drop me a PM. We are getting into spring conditions so things will be dwindling down fast!

Edit: 1,000th post! Crazy.

I'm 99.99999% sure the mountain is 100% open to snowboarders. None of this skier only crap.

Yep, it will ALL be open for riders. From ridetaos.org:

3. Will the whole mountain be open to snowboards' date=' or just parts of it?[/b']

The whole mountain will be open. We want to welcome this new crowd completely and let them experience everything that is Taos.

I have read on some Taos blog that there are a few flat spots that may cause some issues for boarders since we don't have poles.

There are a few long catwalks, but they can be avoided. There is one that goes from the backside of the mountain to the backside, but you can take a few lifts to get back to the frontside without having to take that catwalk.

Though Im contemplating going, Whats so great about taos again??

I just studied the trail map and it looks kind of tiny. No wonder they are losing money

It doesn't look that small to me. Compared to something like Copper yeah, but it looks normal for NM resorts. It looks at least as big as Ski Santa Fe...which btw is still my favorite choice for carving, and I've been to my share of Colorado resorts including Copper, Breck, and Aspen.

They are loosing money because of the Snowboarding ban. I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the terrain or the size. I'm worried about Angel Fire though since most families chose AF over Taos because of the board ban. AF is sure to loose a ton of business because of this, but then again places like Red River and Sippapu stay open every year so AF should be ok.