• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but " EVERYBODY " knew who you were....especially the nuns:ices_ange:eplus2:

I thought my VH necklace was the coolest:freak3:

what a DORK !:rolleyes:

used to draw the VH logo with the shading all over the place

I left a tough reputation for my younger brother (the soccer jock) to follow. I had the VH and also the Ratbones all over my notebooks. The teachers that didn't know me all thought we smoked pot out in the woods. Personally I never went back there. We stayed on pavement whenever we could. I later found out a lot of people were scared of me. Come on!!! I was in orchestra!!!!:smashfrea:smashfrea:smashfrea

post-6711-141842252772_thumb.jpg

I'd think that a group of 40ish guys that average on the higher side of average income and education would get that but apparently not, says the 27 year old liftie/farmer.

MUD and Nils you're excluded from that statement, you guys seem to get it.

Like it or not alpine has a tainted image, the same one skiing did in the mid 90's, as in being restrictive and something your behind the times dad would do.

Not sure the 27 year old "liftie/farmer" is getting it either. When I wrote to Mr. Hoy, it wasn't an attempt to persuade him to cover alpine snowboarding...the economics/demographics etc. etc. of his decision are quite clear. What I was doing was pointing out that his we are all snowsports brothers and sisters schtick is a bunch of crap. He won't cover alpine for reasons that make sense to him and work to the advantage of his publication. Alta, Deer Valley and MRG won't allow snowboarders for reasons that make sense to them and work to the advantage of their customers. Stop suggesting that they are not being inclusive when you aren't either Kurt. THAT is what was behind the genesis of this thread.:nono:

Interesting to follow the evolution of this thread since it started a few days ago. I truly wasn't interested in whether or not Kurt Hoy covers alpine...I think his magazine blows and am surprised that the targeted audience would be capable of reading. What I found amusing was that he was so incredibly offended that the owners of MRG, Alta and Deer Valley had the audacity to make a business decision to exclude snowboarders, yet apparently no problem with excluding coverage of alpine snowboarding in his "inclusive" rag. Bottom line = Kurt Hoy is full of sh*t.

Yes. Your original point which you have reiterated here is remarkably astute and correct. It inspired my earlier response.

I don't really care that Alpine isn't covered in his mag, it's just the disrespect towards alpine, and the hypocrisy you pointed out so well.

Maybe one of the alpine companies could put out a contest similar to Burton's invasion of skier only mountains. Hardbooters from all over could video themselves ripping turns in the terrain parks, cutting gashes into the takeoffs, leaving trenches all over the halfpipe, basically doing to the freestyle community what Burton is having people do to the skiing community. Since it turns out we're not really snowboarders.

I know this is a stupid, mean-spirited idea....but it would be fun.

LOL - you are a genius, however we aren't excluded from terrain parks so it's not quite tit-for-tat.

Bones Brigade !!

After watching this we all went out and tacked pieces of rags to some leftover wood scraps so we could put them on our hands and went soul-sliding!!!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X9iROyjYnU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X9iROyjYnU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Whatever happened to Snowboard Journal.

Snowboard Journal was picked in either '05 up by Future Publications, the same folks who put out Future Snowboarding and Snowboard Trade News).

Unfortunately, the magazine didn't live up to Future's expectations fast enough and they pulled the plug in Fall '06.

After Future stopped publishing TSJ, Scooter Leonard tried to shop it around to another publisher (including Surfer's Journal), but had no luck.

Another coffee table magazine, Frequency: The Snowboarder's Journal (yeah, they were arguing about the title...) does still exist and their web site is here: http://www.frqncy.com/

Interesting to follow the evolution of this thread since it started a few days ago. I truly wasn't interested in whether or not Kurt Hoy covers alpine...I think his magazine blows and am surprised that the targeted audience would be capable of reading. What I found amusing was that he was so incredibly offended that the owners of MRG, Alta and Deer Valley had the audacity to make a business decision to exclude snowboarders, yet apparently no problem with excluding coverage of alpine snowboarding in his "inclusive" rag. Bottom line = Kurt Hoy is full of sh*t.

Kurt is actually a good guy. Whether or not you agree with his logic, that's another story.

Kurt edited one of my favorite mags, Snowboard Life, which targeted the 30+ snowboarder.

Unfortunately, that magazine became a casualty when Transworld SB and Snowboard Life were sold by Times Mirror to Time Warner. SB Life didn't have a huge circulation, and TW felt the market was the snowboard under 25 crowd.

Hard to argue with TW's bottom line move as 25+ snowboarders accounted for only 24.7% of all snowboarders in 1990 and was down 23.9% in 2006 So, it's easy to see why SB Life was killed.

Too bad. I liked the magazine.

but " EVERYBODY " knew who you were....especially the nuns:ices_ange:eplus2:

I thought my VH necklace was the coolest:freak3:

what a DORK !:rolleyes:

used to draw the VH logo with the shading all over the place

attachment.php?attachmentid=11517&stc=1&d=1204656805

I had the VH and also the Ratbones all over my notebooks.

Ok. So are you guys saying that new metal Coiler I ordered with the custom "VH" logo top sheet with red, white and black EVH stripes isn't gonna be cool?

I guess this means I gotta change my avatar too.

I'm so depressed.

Ok. So are you guys saying that new metal Coiler I ordered with the custom "VH" logo top sheet with red, white and black EVH stripes isn't gonna be cool?

I guess this means I gotta change my avatar too.

I'm so depressed.

that board sounds (bart simpson voice)....Cooooool !:eplus2:

sadly, I heard eddie's cancer is back

http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/idUSN0340179420080304

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=17394&highlight=grail

"I would get the classic Van Halen back together in a heartbeat. But I wouldn’t go back up there on the hill without a lawyer and a valium." DLR

post-123-141842252857_thumb.jpg

post-123-141842252858_thumb.jpg

post-123-141842252865_thumb.jpg

Not sure the 27 year old "liftie/farmer" is getting it either. When I wrote to Mr. Hoy, it wasn't an attempt to persuade him to cover alpine snowboarding...the economics/demographics etc. etc. of his decision are quite clear. What I was doing was pointing out that his we are all snowsports brothers and sisters schtick is a bunch of crap. He won't cover alpine for reasons that make sense to him and work to the advantage of his publication. Alta, Deer Valley and MRG won't allow snowboarders for reasons that make sense to them and work to the advantage of their customers. Stop suggesting that they are not being inclusive when you aren't either Kurt. THAT is what was behind the genesis of this thread.:nono:

the difference is that snowboards in general are a sizable share of the winter sports market as a whole. Alpine snowboarding is less important than the least important aspects of skiing like aerials for example.

Also, again, publications print things that they know are not factual or distorted. I bet many of the jib kids loved that article and felt more connected. Just like the burton video thing. PR at the end of the day.

• 3 weeks later...