Note to New Members ×

BTS setup and heel lift

Surf Quebec

I change the setup of my BTS on saturday, instead of having with preload I've used it without any preload (or very little) on the bottom nut. Since there is more travel, it puts more pressure on your feet and I experienced significant heel lift on my rear foot :angryfire

That maybe a new test to do when trying new boots ...

Surf Quebec,

Agree with Zoltan, the BTS should not have anything to do with the fit of the boot. The boot should fit properly (i.e. no heel lift) with or with out the BTS. Do a shell test and see where you are at on the boot size.

95% of boot issues we see come through the shop is a boot that is too big.

What I meant is that with the bts (with no preload) or just without the RAB , you have more travel, so the feet/ankle joint receives more pressure from the leg.

I do think I have the good boot size.

My foot is 26.5 cm and my boot is MP26, I did the shell test and there was room for more than 1 finger but not for 2.

I've tried a MP25 but I was not able to get into the boot.

Maybe I have thin ankle or small heel as I'm not as thight in the boot as I would like to be in the Achilles tendon and ankle bone area.

I've ordered ankle pads, if it doesn't solve the heel lift I'll try a MP25 next year...

SQ, I'm like you - I have properly sized boots and still suffer heel lift. My shell test results are similar to yours - closer to 1 finger than 2. As it turns out, I only really notice when walking or riding powder. Carving, my weight is pushing the feet to the floor of the boot so it's not a problem. In powder I don't really care about a little heel lift - and this season I've favored softies in powder anyway.

Keep in mind that the ankle/heel area is the first part of a Thermoflex liner to pack out. Those of us with bony, skinny ankles may find heel lift even with a boot that fits snugly lengthwise and width wise. Such is life when only 3 companies make readily available hardboots.

Don't laugh, but I have 3 different thicknesses of socks to account for pack out in thermoflex liners between moldings. Thin, for right after they are molded, medium for when they are just right through most of their lifespan and thick for when they start to feel loose in the mediums.

My foot is 26.5 cm and my boot is MP26, I did the shell test and there was room for more than 1 finger but not for 2.

I've tried a MP25 but I was not able to get into the boot.

You should be in a MP25 with work done to it and custom footbeds. It may seem impossible, but it works and works well. Figure about $200 for footbeds and boot fitting. The boot will be just as comfortable, but no more heel lift.

When I tried a MP25 this season, the toes were completely bent not just a little and I was not able to push my foot completely in the boot (Track325).

Anyway, if pads do not solve the heel lift, I'll try again an MP25 next season (Track700) , all the Track700 MP25 were sold this year.

I'm lucky to have a shop selling hardboots/race boards at 30 minutes from home :D

Whose the third hardboot maker ? (deeluxe, head and ...?)

Thumper, Mike T

I was thinking to use my usual sock + a sock cut at the middle of the feet in order to have a bigger ankle but to avoid to take to much space at the toes.

Have you tried that ?

I may try that tonight.

Got to leave now, I have a carving envy ...

Were the liners still in the boots or was it just the shells? If the liners were still in, that's not much of a test because molding them plays a big part (though you'll still want the toe box blown out), and if it was just the shell, then it was a size smaller than 25 since you should have gone from a little more than a finger on the 26 to your toes and heel just touching, or just about to touch, on the 25.

When I tried a MP25 this season, the toes were completely bent not just a little and I was not able to push my foot completely in the boot (Track325).

Anyway, if pads do not solve the heel lift, I'll try again an MP25 next season (Track700) , all the Track700 MP25 were sold this year.

I'm lucky to have a shop selling hardboots/race boards at 30 minutes from home :D

Whose the third hardboot maker ? (deeluxe, head and ...?)

Thumper, Mike T

I was thinking to use my usual sock + a sock cut at the middle of the feet in order to have a bigger ankle but to avoid to take to much space at the toes.

Have you tried that ?

I may try that tonight.

Got to leave now, I have a carving envy ...

SQ, That's a very creative idea. You may as well try it, you can always take it off if it makes it worse. If your shells aren't bigger than two fingers larger than your foot, a good bootfitter should be able to get you dialed in. If they are bigger than two fingers, a good bootfitter will tell you to get a smaller boot. Hope you get this sorted out, it's definitely a happy day when your boots just feel "right" for the first time.

Zoltan, When I did the shell test, I did remove the liners.

I just did the shell test again right now and I have 1 finger and 1-2 millimeters maximum.

Thumper, what I did instead of cutting a sock is to bend the sock back down to the middle of the feet. This way I have 2 thickness of fabric at the ankle area.

I went carving like this on sunday but it was hero snow so I do not experience heel lift on hero snow, only on hard conditions (snow accumulations).

I used to have non-themo liners in my former AF600.

It's my first year with thermoflex liner, I can not say that I'm impressed. It's not taking room as I thought it would be. From what I've read on the forum, I was thinking that thermo-liners were amazing...

I'm expecting some pads this week, I want to make my boots as thight as my ice hockey skates.

I forgot about UPZ, since I have never seen a carver wearing those I did not thought of them.

Anyway, let's pray for the snow gods to give us some snow again and prevent the evil rain gods to do their stuff, I want to carve again in March, it's too soon for soccer yet :biggthump