Note to New Members ×

Reversing toe block on Race Plates for small feet?

Galen

My 16 year old daughter is getting on HB's for the first time this week. For some reason I had it in my head that my race plates would be small enough. They are not. Smallest setting is just way too lose for my comfort factor. So, i reversed the toe block, flipped the bail around and this is what I got, nice and snug. I don't see anything that looks dangerous, but then I'm not the mechanical engineer type.:o Not ideal, I know, but don't want to dump any bucks into new bindings for her until she's sure she's truly interested in HBing. Any thoughts? She's 5'2", 120 lbs. or less

post-1371-141842251703_thumb.jpg

post-1371-141842251705_thumb.jpg

I'm not an engineer either but I've taken raceplates apart quite a few times and from what I remember the underside of the toeblock is basically "symmetrical", and by this I mean that there is sufficient aluminum in front of the bail in it's current configuration to hold up the the massive amount of stress that the 120 lb. rider will put on it. I think she'll be just fine. Now you just need a closet full of shotguns to keep all the aspiring young racers away from her, and you'll be set.:biggthump

later,

Dave R.

My 16 year old daughter is getting on HB's for the first time this week. For some reason I had it in my head that my race plates would be small enough. They are not. Smallest setting is just way too lose for my comfort factor. So, i reversed the toe block, flipped the bail around and this is what I got, nice and snug. I don't see anything that looks dangerous, but then I'm not the mechanical engineer type.:o Not ideal, I know, but don't want to dump any bucks into new bindings for her until she's sure she's truly interested in HBing. Any thoughts? She's 5'2", 120 lbs. or less

I have some very adjustable "rental" plates that I will swap you for the race plates. :)

I will even pick up the shipping both ways.

As far as the shotgun you need to get your own. I have two girls (younger ) that are already crazy beautiful. I have strangers stop and say similar all the time. Ye olde double edged sword me thinks.

As an engineer I can see where the stresses will build up this way as opposed to the correct way. But I've also learned that half of engineering is looking at something and saying, "Yeah, that looks about right..." These things are designed with a factor of safety of what, like 5 or somethin... There's a little room to play there.

That's what I ended up using for my daughter. They work for her 23.5 Blax boots.

BobD

Riding at 40/30 and 30/20 on two different boards I have a lot of powder under these binders. I run them fairly loose actually, and it seems to loosen up the side force on my calves a bit. Think of the skateboard and office chair that WB spoke of in one thread. Official end of threadjack.

Well, it looks like OES will be her first HB outing, not this week. She's going to finish the school year in internet academy, teachers and counselors said she was good to go. Now they are saying it may take until Friday to get everything wrapped up.:smashfrea So, poor me will be going alone, no family.:eplus2: Sin, big thanks for the boots, they fit great. If the small bindings are as solid as the race plates, I"m interested. No biggie though. Mike, I think I have a set of soft tongues around somewhere, thanks for the tip. Dave, I was just joking.