Note to New Members ×

New riding buddy

BlueB

my grandson got on ice skates (in Hawaii of all places) at the age of 2, with his bike helmet. should be a given for small children.

As far being "hetero-challenged", for some reason I prefer watching pretty young girls getting thrown into the air, pulling a tight 1080, and sticking it fakie on 1 1/8inch blade at 20 klicks on ice covered concrete, to watching a bunch of armoured 200lb guys take each other out with sticks. that only makes me non-canadian, not gay

my grandson got on ice skates (in Hawaii of all places) at the age of 2, with his bike helmet. should be a given for small children.

As far being "hetero-challenged", for some reason I prefer watching pretty young girls getting thrown into the air, pulling a tight 1080, and sticking it fakie on 1 1/8inch blade at 20 klicks on ice covered concrete, to watching a bunch of armoured 200lb guys take each other out with sticks. that only makes me non-canadian, not gay

I know there are a large number of H-C participants, but for those who aren't, some of the lifts they perform in couples skating would make it worth the stereotype.:D

I know there are a large number of H-C participants, but for those who aren't, some of the lifts they perform in couples skating would make it worth the stereotype.:D

Ahh, Yes. But have you over looked that one thing? Would it truly be worth it if you had to wear the ball hugger spandex pants ??

That is the question.

Think the Spandex 1 piece just might be a deal killer.Lemme check!

Yup! 4 out of 6 Beer drinking redneck hippys here say that it's all good, sterotype and all.

Until you have wear the spandex pant's

:DSS

• 4 weeks later...

My 18 months old riding buddy just watched whole of the Hard Attack with me! First half he actually set on the couch with me, 2nd part he ran around the room.

He was genuinely interested and commented at the right spots, saying:

Snow!

Fell!

Fast!

Opa!

Gone...

At the end he kinda staired at the tv in disbelief, wanting more...

Our 2 1/2 year old,Nathan, had his first session of snowboarding today with mommy on the bunnyhill.He laughed the whole time he was in motion and kept telling Maureen not to touch him since that meant he would have to slow down.He did three trips down the 500 foot run.I'm a proud papa.

Hello Boris,

15 months? :) Time does fly, it was only yesterday that you were expecting :1luvu:

I never thought of downhill skiing with my little kids, but I did cross country ski a few times with one in a backpack and also with a rental sled. X country would be a lot safer and not even require helmets. Plus, nobody gets in your business.

Enjoy,

Hugh

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest lukcy

It's awesome to see so many parents on here! My daughter will be 4 this coming season, and hasn't been on the snow as much as she should! A little curious...you start your little ones skiing first, right? Seeing as snowboarding requires a lot of leg muscle, and body weight distribution (kids weight is all in the head). I tell everyone that I won't put my daughter on a board until she can ski in control on a bunny slope.

Its work but it pays off....I started my girls boarding way back when they were little kids...soon you guys will be packing them off to their first professional job. Heres me and my daughter enjoying a day together at Sunday River. I know both kids will always love the snow and pass it on to their kids.....rock on junior jedi !

post-992-141842257842_thumb.jpg

It's awesome to see so many parents on here! My daughter will be 4 this coming season, and hasn't been on the snow as much as she should! A little curious...you start your little ones skiing first, right? Seeing as snowboarding requires a lot of leg muscle, and body weight distribution (kids weight is all in the head). I tell everyone that I won't put my daughter on a board until she can ski in control on a bunny slope.

If your child refuses to ski because mommy and daddy snowboard conventional wisdom won't mean a thing.Our oldest decided at three he would snowboard and that was that.He now has decided to ski too;snowboarding gave him as much of a headstart on skiing as the other way around.The leg strength notion doesn't hold water with us, since no 3-4 year old kid has the strength to flex a ski boot and is lucky if he or she can flex a snowboard boot.Kids fall better than adults in my teaching experience and a snowboard is easier to fall well with and to get up on ,once they have the movement sequence for doing so.Disclaimer; in my humble opinion:)

Guest lukcy
If your child refuses to ski because mommy and daddy snowboard conventional wisdom won't mean a thing.Our oldest decided at three he would snowboard and that was that.He now has decided to ski too;snowboarding gave him as much of a headstart on skiing as the other way around.The leg strength notion doesn't hold water with us, since no 3-4 year old kid has the strength to flex a ski boot and is lucky if he or she can flex a snowboard boot.Kids fall better than adults in my teaching experience and a snowboard is easier to fall well with and to get up on ,once they have the movement sequence for doing so.Disclaimer; in my humble opinion:)

Hmm, interesting way to look at it. Mainly, because she didn't want to ski. She wanted to snowboard, because Mommy does. She's pretty tiny for her age, very petite. So I didn't think snowboarding would be a good idea. Think I should try her on one this season?

Hi Boris glad things are sorta going better for you.

I have started in with some Bowen Technique therapy. It is workings wonders according to the wife. Even if i am not sure after celebrating our 32 anniversary on May 15 I will always trust her judgment.

As to getting the little ones on the slopes:

I'd like to re-iterate something I have spoken of before.

At this age children develop New muscles and skills rapidly as they learn to walk and talk. So If they are given the right environment and learn ski or snowboard skill on dry land, you can put them on snow at age two and they have better motor skills and muscle development for snow sports than the average 6 year old.

Son Sam and the others Were skiing and riding the T-bar solo in the beginner area at age two. At age three they were skiing the whole mountain, and not in a wedge/snowplow either.

So I have games for the living room for skiing maybe we can join up in the off season and figure out some for snowboard. then we could put together a first draft book and have this on line community act as editors. then we could self publish it. Set up a non profit for any net gains to to have a fund/org that provides loaner gear on cheap deposit for parents to start their children out with dryland and then on snow at age 15 months to four years.

What do you think Boris?

and what to all you guys and gals think ?

I helped write the original SkiWee manual so I have a cloudy vague:confused: idea of how to do a technical manual for parents.

Feedback please!

GWS

Just a note At Ragged Mountain we had special snowboards for a Nursery program with 3 to 5 year olds as one on one with an instructor.

So the gear does exist. There was a lot of debate on wether to use soft boots or hard. As most of the littles ones had not had dry land we used ski boots for them. With a proper dry land pre-snow training program I would for sure go with soft boots to allow them to develop muscles, balance and flexibility.

It's kinda funny seeing all these parents getting their kids into boarding. I sure will when I'm a parent. But the reason I find it funny is because I actually got my dad on the snow. We took snowboarding lessons together and he boarded for a few years. I wish I would have known about hardbooting back in the day because that was the kind of boarding he did. Even though, I guess he didn't do perfect half circles as much as he looked like a sailboat going down a small lake (tight corners, but no definitive transition anywhere). A few years ago (Gosh, probably 6 or 7 by now) he buried the nose in some soft stuff though and went over the handlebars, landing on his shoulder. He tore the ligament that connects to the clavicle and even today he can make his clavicle pop up over the rest of his shoulder and it looks real nasty. But those were some good times. Now we stick to golfing together (which I also got him into). He teaches me about business and mechanics and building houses and jewelry making and such and I try to teach him about what to do in the time he's not doing that.

Hmm, interesting way to look at it. Mainly, because she didn't want to ski. She wanted to snowboard, because Mommy does. She's pretty tiny for her age, very petite. So I didn't think snowboarding would be a good idea. Think I should try her on one this season?

My kids are very stong little guys but shorter than average.We have used hoola hoops at first with good success, as well a harness.My oldest didn't like the harness but our youngest is fine with it .Funny thing is he didn't seem to need one for snowboarding.Hoola hoops are my favorite if needed;the biggest ones I can find so the kid is inside it and I have room to kick turn beside him while holding it from outside the hoop.I don't use my 185 for this:)

So I have games for the living room for skiing maybe we can join up in the off season and figure out some for snowboard. then we could put together a first draft book and have this on line community act as editors. then we could self publish it. Set up a non profit for any net gains to to have a fund/org that provides loaner gear on cheap deposit for parents to start their children out with dryland and then on snow at age 15 months to four years.

Great thoughts, Brother. It would be nice producing a manual like that. Gear idea is also great.

While I can teach a very young kid to ski, I wouldn't have a clue where to start with a snowboard. How do you play the dry-land games with both feet strapped in?

I'm in. I would do the technical part of the manual - layouts, photo/illustration editing, pdf publishing. I probably can host it for download on my site, unless Fin wanted it on Bomber.

I could try to do some demo photos of any drills you might suggest, if my youngter wanted to cooperate. He can be very hyper and head-strong at the times. But I'm sure there's others with tiny kids who might want to participate.

Let's hear the thoughts from the others.

Boris

PS I'm very glad you feel a bit better.