Note to New Members ×

Ibex Bindings

utahcarver

What are the recommended rider weight ranges for the Ibex binding? If there aren't any published ranges, what would be the cut-off point for a heavier rider using Ibex?

I've read on the forum in previous threads opinions that state the most a rider should weigh and use the Burton version of the Ibex is 175 lbs. Just wondering if anything changed. I've used the Burton version and loved the flex and how easy it was to don and doff the binding. I'm over way 175 and would prefer not to eject out of a plate binding if I'm too heavy for it.

Mark

I believe at some point in any binding's life, some component will fail. There are likely a number of factors that contribute to this and rider mass is probably a significant contributor BUT... also contributing are the number of hours use, type of riding, snow conditions, board type, age of materials, and, and, and...

When selecting a binding, the rider needs to look closely at past experience (have you failed a bunch of gear?), other's experiences (have they failed a bunch of gear and why?) and then make their purchase based on this.

At this point, I think we're all potential data points with regard to the IBEX bindings. I've just started to use a pair of IBEX Speed TC. Without gear, I weigh 85kg.

I think there are some other contributing factors to these bindings releasing.

The only times they have failed me is when wearing raichle boots on warmer days. I think the softer plastic of the boot can deform enough for the bindings to release. Never had a problem in other boots, but I'm only 164lbs.

BobD

I am assuming that the IBEX design has not changed much

if any from the Burton Race Plate design, and would hope that any

potential changes would not make the bindings less rigid.

I'm just shy of 230lbs/104kg and can ride pretty aggressive sometimes.

Have been riding the Burton race plates since around '95 and have

had very few problems. Other than 1 ejection (my own fault - setting bails too loose),

and 1 clip break, (hitting a gate and busting the clip off) they've been rock-solid for me.

If F2's are going to be scarce again next season, I'll probably end up

getting a pair of the IBEX.

The reason I asked is that I went back to riding softies in powder this year. By the end of the day, it would have been nice to have had more support going through the chop. I'm thinking I could get a pair of Ibex and just use them for soft snow conditions. In the past, Burton Carriers have worked fine for me.

Mark

The reason I asked is that I went back to riding softies in powder this year. By the end of the day, it would have been nice to have had more support going through the chop. I'm thinking I could get a pair of Ibex and just use them for soft snow conditions. In the past, Burton Carriers have worked fine for me.

Mark

I have a pair of cariers that I was going to throw out, as I feel like they're pretty unsafe binding for carving on cord/hardpack/ice, but realized they would probably be a great binding for hardbooting in pow. I'm giving that a shot this year ... if I get any friggin pow days in.