Note to New Members ×

All Mountain Board Recommendations

Bryan

Hello all,

I'm looking for an all mountain board. Currently I'm on a Ride Mountain 163 (27.5) waist with plates and hard boots. I've noticed that switching to plates has allowed me to really ramp up the speed in cruddy powder and moguls, but I have trouble switching edges really quickly when things get tight. My board is falling apart more every ride, so I think the time has come to buy a plate specific AM board. I ride 95% of the time on ungroomed terrain and in lots of powder, generally on black to dbl black runs. I'd say I'm an intermediate carver but don't want to focus on purely carving.

Any recommendations for a board? I'm 6'2", 175lbs, size 10.5 boot. I'm torn between the Prior ATV 171 (23.5 waist) or the Prior 4WD 174 (21.4 waist). Donek Axxess would also be similar to the 4wd I think.

Any advice?

Bryan

... lots of powder...

These are the key words here. ATV all the way. 4WD is a carving board that can handle freeriding conditions, ATV is a freeride board that can carve. Ask Prior to stiffen it up for you if you wanted to go mah shnell.

Where do you ride?

It's a matter of personal preference mostly. What kind of stance angles do you want?

I vote 21cm and then see if you want to go narrower or wider for your next board.

Just as a point of reference: I had a Coiler all-mountain board with a 21cm waist, my feet are 9.5, and 55/50 angles seemed just about right on that board. After riding a couple of race boards with 19cm waists I decided I prefer that width and slightly higher stance angles.

So, a 19cm-waisted Donek Axxess should be arriving late next week... :D I can hardly stand the wait.

I've ridden both ATV (161) and 4wd (164).

Both are great boards, but I liked the 4wd more - but I also prefer groomed runs and tend to leave around 1:30pm or so when my local hill gets chopped up.

For what it sounds like you want to do, I'd recommended the ATV, but I'd also recommend getting it stiffened up a bit. Even for my 145 lbs. I found the ATV to be a little bit soft for plates once my skills started improving.

Just ordered my ATV 171. Kept the normal stiffness after talking to a Prior rep.

Any problems with riding TD1's on it? My old board started coming apart near the rear binding after switching to the plates. I think this was due to the increased pressure on a board that was meant for softies.

the td1 is fine for most carver duty but if you're in the bumps I'd suggest something with a bigger footprint and something softer to protect the board. which, just happens to be any other binding you can find other than catek WCs and OS1s.

f2, phiokka, burton RACE, td2 with the suspension kit or the catek OS2s with the d3 elastoners. if I were you I'd go with the F2 bindings as they are the softest without being prone to breakage .

Guest GQuentin

Buy a Coiler 172T AM w/ 12 sidecut. It is an absolute amazing board that will handle everything. I will stop myself from giving you the whole sales pitch. Just ride it, give it everything you have and it won't let you down,

Quentin

Hi Bryan,

Just returned from 2 weeks in Canada riding a new Prior ATV 167 (23.5 waist) on Catek FR2 Pros. Pure Bliss. Handled everything from icy steeps at Silverstar in -30 celcius to virgin waist deep Whistler powder to afternoon bumps and crud after 2pm.

Handled everything I could throw at it. I tend to ride with skiers, so ended up doing a bit of everything on the mountain most days.

Keep your eyes open for the Prior demo days, or you can hire boards from the factory if in Whistler.

I'm 6'1 and 185 with size 10.5 boot. The 4WD was always going to be too narrow for my softboot setup.

Matt.