Note to New Members ×

Northeast wash out

Bobby Buggs

Bretton Woods has been fine...not a whole lot of freshies anymore, but the snow is holding up well. It's firm in the morning, then around 10:00 or so it softens with the sun. Good stuff, ayep. Tuckermans and the drainages are avy-central though...we just got about 4" of 'taters, it's hard to keep the stuff on a slight slope, nevermind anyone trying to load it on some steeps. Woosh. http://www.tuckerman.org/avalanche/

The stuff groomed out nicely though.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fond memories of that coastline. I broke my big toe surfing the ice water next the Chart House, got dropped in on and tangled with a buddy.Somehow his board bent my toe back and it's so cold I didn't feel it until the next stand up .Windsurfed/Wavesailed at Waddell,Davenport,Scotts Creek back before the scheibel bros started the whole kite scene there with Caution. Hung out in Pacifica alot, dawn patrols in the fog.:freak3:

Surfed Steamer Lane a bunch, some Cowells:p.Worked at a windsurfing/bike shop in South San Fran-Good Times !

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTCBd7qh1fY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTCBd7qh1fY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

FWIW,I hear those Madd 170s work great on boilerplate:D

post-123-141842249171_thumb.gif

post-123-141842249171_thumb.jpg

post-123-141842249173_thumb.jpg

& early spring swells:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump:biggthump

( HMB, San Gregorio, Garapatta SP, The Ranch, Davenport/cement factory...)

Oh man,

Davenport is one of my main breaks that I can still get some killer waves without the general public knowing it's there. shhhhhssss BTW that first vid was Scotts and Waddell Creek. Davenport Landing doesn't get near the wind.

The Schiebel Bros were very helpful in my early attempts at Kite Surfing. Tough guys and good people. Also, you should have seen the girls in the 70's. :rolleyes:

Oh man,

Davenport is one of my main breaks that I can still get some killer waves without the general public knowing it's there. shhhhhssss BTW that first vid was Scotts and Waddell Creek. Davenport Landing doesn't get near the wind.

Ah, I spent the summer wavesailing the south swells on the reef at Davenport Landing in '91. No shortage of sharks at that spot.

Nice.

I used to flip a coin on my mornings off, to decide if I was going surfing or canyon-carving, when I lived in Palo Alto.

Nothing like paddling that August big gun out past the arch and mines...except for canyon-carving around 9, 84 and big basin in general, up skyline to 92, etc.

either way, I typically ended up near the cement factory, and down at the nude beach to share some Big House Red and ano~nuevo Lollieberries with the USC skirts.

A few years later, when I'd moved to Carmel-By-The-Sea, the options became beaches even more secretive.

So many choices, mountain roads or wild North Coast sharks. Hwy 9 and Skyline have so many carvers. I read about a lethal crash every month. Sold my bike in 85'. Carmel and 17 Mile Drive are fun spots...like Monastery Beach...another sharky break with a long paddle out. A GW shark bit a kneeboarder so hard that he was...agh, nevermind.

A long way off from boiler plate. sorry

Way worse up at Stinson:barf:

A surfer was bitten at Stinson recently. He didn't want to be interviewed because he didn't want his mother to find out. Seems he had promised not to surf there anymore after being bitten the first time. :eek:

I guess he didn't get a good look at it. I stepped on one without getting too excited, but 2 yrs later I saw another that was longer than my Silverado charging at me. I couldn't believe it was a shark until I could see its teeth. I was hoping for a Humpback whale or even an Orca.

HOW?????:confused:

The rain will stop Wed night. Then it gets cold enough for snowmaking with a chance of some natural stuff. The days look like they'll be warm enough to soften-up just a little but not so much that it turns to boiler-plate at night. Throw in some grooming and conditions should be good.

You stay at home, I'll let you know how it was!:eplus2::rolleyes::ices_ange

So much for washout...Just got back from the woods- GREAT conditions. The snow is pretty heavy, but it was an absolute blast. There were two slides there while I was out! One on Little Headwall (west Mt. , next to little tucks), and one out on Firetower. I've never thought about inbounds slides in the northeast before...the crown line on headwall was terrifying to see, even if it was only 6"-7" of snow...

Supposed to get another 10" or so by tomorrow morning!

HOW?????:confused:

like this

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=GYX&llon=-71.137083&rlon=-70.114583&tlat=44.707917&blat=43.685417&smap=1&mp=0&map.x=67&map.y=58

It's already piled up to 5-6+" and it's still coming down hard. Tonight's snow forecast has been upped to another 4-7". Oh yeah, and we've already gotten over a foot of snow since last Friday night, so that means we've got a total of 18" in 5 days!!!

Well the areas in my day trip striking distance got like 1/2 inch of rain over night and this morning. Conditions are Wet/Variable. Sure, I want to put my hip on that:nono:

http://www.sugarbush.com/

That first picture that comes up is from today. That must be the 'variable' part ;)

I bet they'll even even pack down a few groomers for those of us who's widest board is 17cm. :D

________

Lexus Hs

Sorry but over 3 hours travel 1 way is a bit out of my day trip striking distance :freak3:

That's NO excuse brah - it's severly dumping up here (Burlington) right now...9-14" expected tonight...more in the mountains. I regularly get up at 3:30 or 4am to drive 3 to 4 hours (or more) to go to a race - where I have to register by 8 or 8:30. You could even arrive a little later since you aren't racing...you gotta WANT it mi amigo!! Otherwise just sit home and be miserable...but remember what those nice relaxing long drives home - with a big cup of coffe, tired legs, and a big grin - feel like....GET ON IT!!!! :cool: