Note to New Members ×

The best small camera for on hill and ......

carvedog

Ok, a lot of you know that I am pro photographer, so this may be a weird thread, but I know absolutely nothing about the small camera world and thought I would poll the group here.

I have several slrs and Dslrs and love them. I am a Nikon guy all the way with that so my tendency would be to go that route, but I am open to anything. I also have a coolpix 990 which is great. That is the one with the swivel body, and it works great. But ( always has to be a butt ) it is the size of a breakfast burrito (squarer) and I don't take it when I should sometimes. I had one of the "best" camera phones for a while, but very noisy images and I quit using it cause it was such carp.

So here we are. I need to have fill flash capability ( and be able to go no flash) doesn't need a huge zoom, would love to shoot vids ( maybe with sound) and use CF cards as I have about 20.

THX

CarveDog -- I know you said above you'd lke a CF card - this camera uses xD card and it is so good I thought I'd mention it anyway - sorry it does not fit all your requirements. But it is a Olympus Stylus 770SW. Small compact flat but here is the best part -- it is FreezeProof, ShockProof, WaterProof to about 28 feet, so for snowboarding, hiking, biking, fishing ect... It fits the bill. I keep it in my front pocket and do not have to worry about the elements causing damage even if I fall on it.

I bought mine off of Ebay thru Olympus Auctions which offers reconditioned cameras at a great price and warranty.

CYA

CarveDog -- I know you said above you'd lke a CF card - this camera uses xD card and it is so good I thought I'd mention it anyway - sorry it does not fit all your requirements. But it is a Olympus Stylus 770SW. Small compact flat but here is the best part -- it is FreezeProof, ShockProof, WaterProof to about 28 feet, so for snowboarding, hiking, biking, fishing ect... It fits the bill. I keep it in my front pocket and do not have to worry about the elements causing damage even if I fall on it.

I bought mine off of Ebay thru Olympus Auctions which offers reconditioned cameras at a great price and warranty.

CYA

Thanks C5, I guess my requirements were more guidelines. Makes sense to have a smaller card for a smaller camera now that I think about it. Would love to see a pic or two if you don't mind posting. Maybe one in sunny and one in low light, to see how if any noise shows up.

It also lists the operating temp stopping at 14F. Have you used it in low temps?

It really does sound good, I have to admit. Appreciate the suggestion.

If you like Nikon and are a pro, maybe check out the P5100: all the good features in a smaller package. From what I read, the Nikon P50, while similar, is not as good.

I have a Canon A720IS, and it's pretty nice, good features in a inexpensive camera. If you are interested in more quality in a small package from Canon, it's the G9 (or G7 to a lesser extent).

I also read some good things about the Fuji F40 and Lumix LX2.

Thanks C5, I guess my requirements were more guidelines. Makes sense to have a smaller card for a smaller camera now that I think about it. Would love to see a pic or two if you don't mind posting. Maybe one in sunny and one in low light, to see how if any noise shows up.

It also lists the operating temp stopping at 14F. Have you used it in low temps?

It really does sound good, I have to admit. Appreciate the suggestion.

I am in Seattle so we'll have to wait till July for a Sunny Photo -:biggthump

Couple of things I did not mention it has a manometer so you know how high you are on the mountain and it is CrushProof also-- and It is 33 feet depth of water not 28. It is funny when I got the camera it showed how to clean it -- basically run it under water and slosh it around to get the dirt off.

With a 1 gig xD card I have storage of 2450 photos @ 1280 x 960 res.

My main complaint and it is a small one and really the only one- is the flash is a little weak. I usually force a flash in all photos outside so I miss having a powerful flash but I guess for its size one must compromise somewhere.

PM emaill me and I can send you a couple of sample photos-- tell me what resolution you'd like. I does macro very well with a built in LED for lighting.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1287

another brand to consider is the Pentax. The newer W30 (current model) is very good 7 megapix, shots video, and is waterproof. My buddy has one that he uses for Jetskiing and it works pretty well.

I don't know how it will do at colder temps....the Olympus looks very promising - i'll have to check it out since I'm in the market for a new digicam.

I have a Pentax W30 and it has been super for kayaking, which was what I was thinking of when I bought it. But I've taken it out riding/skiing a couple of times and it doesn't seem so happy in the cold (it was close to zero, but I kep it in a pocket except for shooting.) It got some internal fogging on the lense that has stayed for a month. Big bummer, as it was taking pretty good quality photos. If I had it to do again, I would check out the Olympus.

We shoot all the photos for snowkiting and water kiting with the olympus.

I have had it under water, in freezing cold, crashed on it in my pocket (and the camera man also several times). here are some photos

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/RV-Jake-3

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/RV-Jake-2

http://www.bestkiteboarding.com/RV-Jake-1

I think they are shrunk to fit but they sure look great on my laptop fresh off the camera, in full size, plus you can do some editing right with the camera. Theres also a multi shot with like 11 frames...

Since going to the DSLR world myself I'm no longer that well read on the p&s stuff, but if I were you I'd look hard at Canon, Panasonic (Leica), and maybe even Sony. Canon G9 interests me. I know nothing about Olympus.

A pro I know who shoots Nikon dslr swears by Canon for compacts.

well I went out and picked up one of the olympus 790SW's at Fry's today. It looks like a solid camara, the test shots are turning out really well. But its going back tomorrow...it uses some olympus only XD card instead of a more standard format. I checked CC, bestbuy and frys and a 2-pack of 1gig XD cards are over 50 bucks. Seems excessive.

So I ordered the 850SW online instead, should be here by Wed or so. This newer olympus version allows you to use microSD cards. Much more reasonable and widely available format. I bought a 2gig microSD card for $20 bucks today. The newer 850SW seems to have all the nice bells and whistles the 700 series does so we'll see how it does in the snow!

I use an olympus fe-120, 3-4 yrs old. It takes a great pic but the slow shutter reaction is a pain for action shots:(

So thanks all for reccomendations.

since b0ardski mentioned it, any real world feedback on shutter delay times? As I remember when I have tried a couple of these, you push the release and .5 to 2 seconds later you may have a picture. :angryfire

• 2 months later...

So I ordered the 850SW online instead, should be here by Wed or so. This newer olympus version allows you to use microSD cards. Much more reasonable and widely available format. I bought a 2gig microSD card for $20 bucks today. The newer 850SW seems to have all the nice bells and whistles the 700 series does so we'll see how it does in the snow!

Hey Furi - still shopping for a camera. Hows the 850SW working out?

• 1 month later...

take a look

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.phtml?web_group=digital_cameras

these guys tend to have amazing deals

http://www.microcenter.com/storefronts/digital_imaging/index.html?BrCs=498&BrCg=16181691&BrRc=1468458171

my wife brought one of these down to Brasil for a graduation present for her neice that now has an engineering degree.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0285285

this lil guy travelled well thru paris & rome last november

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/sony/dsc_t5-review/

my lil Nikon is small and does the trick for quick shots on the hill

http://www.zalmar.com/detail-Photography-Digital_Cameras-Coolpix_3200.htm

I used to be a part time pro photog too.

A bit of back ground.

for good stuff I still use a Yashica TL electro X

the progressive LED light meter is trick to go one or even 1/2 stop under or over. Yu can go auto arpeture or or shutter preffered mode and more. I like the manual so if you get the 1/4 stop under exposure you wnat by turning the speed you can see it in the LEDs and you will fire the nine piece elctroninc guilotine shutter at 1/573 of a second if that is what you set. The thing is a big heavy beast but is stalble with a big zoom onn the front. So ....I usually shoot and manual mode. I

have collected enough of them for parts off eBay so I was set with that.

So basically I am spoiled by a super controllable SLR.:rolleyes:

Two years ago I bought a Cannon powershot A530 4x optical zoom 5.0 megapixels. It does macro closups for eBay trinkets and has greaqt deppth of field at full zoom. Small compact rugged so far and easy to use . has plenty of auto modes and manual modes and a special mode for shooting on snow or water. It seems to handle the cold on the mountain quite well except that cold makes my sticky lens cover assembly worse. I should get it fixed but a tap on the side of the lens when it extends takes care of it and I use it so much I don't want to be without it for weeks. The only regret is not spending the extra coin for the next up model, but now the 550 is available and is an even better deal.

GWS

:oOh forgot to mention if you limit use of the lcd display and primarily use the viewfinder which zooms with the camera lens batteries really last well.

Most important thing I forgot to mention is the Powershots all have a :biggthump"widescreen" mode which is super great on the mountain or on the lake.

GWS

I won an Olympus 1030SW this winter. Its 10.1MP, Waterproof to 33ft, Shockproof, coldproof, crushproof, etc. Takes very good pictures, not so good movies (jittery), good, but not great zoom (3.6x), and it is totally pocketable and compact. You can operate it with spring gloves, and it survives dropping in snow no problem. I haven't had the guts to take it under water yet, but its gotten very wet from snow, rain, mist, snow. Its definitely tough.

Camera:

sup_1363.jpg

Pictures I took this weekend with said camera:

biglines_85070.jpg

biglines_85067.jpg

No problem with the fog and rain at the hot springs near Mammoth:

biglines_85051.jpg

Tuolomne Meadows looks nice covered in white on Memorial Day (a bit overcast):

biglines_85068.jpg

More Yosemite (Merced River and Bridalveil Fall)

biglines_85071.jpg