Note to New Members ×

Any you guys ride long freeride boards ..Lib tech, Nidecker ect..

Shred Gruumer

I know a lot of you guys rant on about the Tanker 200...

Im Kicking myself because for years a local friends shop had a Lib Tech Doughboy 190..and I should have just pick it up..just to have it.......

Now they replaced them with the Skunk Ape and comes in sizes 172, 180 and 190cm as well...

Also did some looking around and the Nidecker legends Ultimate Grip 172 is purty..

Any you guys ride these... how they hold up on plates and goom... Just looking..

Wanted to realy know about the Skunk Ape..

You guys up in Washington and Oregon ...anyone??

???

from the sizes and specs it looks like they unified the litigator, the grocer and doughboy all into one.

the doughboy is inferior to the tanker wide IMHO the 193 doughboy did not do anything as well as the tanker 187 except maybe low speed carves due to what feels like a tighter sidecut, not sure of the actual numbers though.

I've posted quite a bit about the doughboy in the past here, it's a decent but not amazing board.

My 186 grocer is a lot older but I rode the sit out of it on plates. carved great till the camber started to go (too many cliff drops in Alpetal backcountry) Had I not blown the gear budget I'd have replaced it w/NOS I came across 2 of them in the last couple months. the big lib's are a great board but not the longevity of a tanker. I still think magna trac's a gimmick, but everyone I've talked to loves thiers.

Well I love having a large quiver to choose from...its now down to nothing..I mean nothing..until a few coilers show up..

But one board area I don't have is a long board.. So with that said.. is it even worth entertaining the idea of getting a Lib Tech Skunk Ape 180 or similar.. obviously most time spent is on gruumers... So if they are really out of their environment on the groom Should I just stick with a BX board like my Madd..

I just think it would be a kick in the pants to ride a 180 which Im sure would be nice and cushy ride...Not expecting it to be an Ice board but should hold on well packed cold groom..

Just debating whether or not to get one..at the end of the season..And fun Factor..

Thanks Guys..

Right Said Shred

They wouldnt risk this heritage and reputation for the sake of a 'gimmick'.

The guy who invented this (magne traction) -- im forever in debt to him. he's the one who got me to really -DO- it in purchasing my first motorcycle. he's a road racer, btw. :) hmm, i oughta email him and see whats up with him.

Dont forget, Mike Olsen is a giant. (I know so because I once worked for him). Apparently, they originally had long boards in similiar analog to surfing (mike and pete are hardcore surfers).

CHanges of name, sure, but basically, same templates.

ive yet to slap my plates on my lib tech litigator. i might purchase the grocer, but older model. the same one that was produced the year i worked there. Dough boy too. Just to own it for my sentimential ties with Mervin Mfg.

Oh, get this -- one time, i was out in stevens pass, i believe, and saw a litigator. i asked the gentleman if i could take a look at it. turns out it had the serial numbers that i did the edging (installation of metal edges). i exclaimed about it and told him. he chuckled and said "im actually mervin. mike olsen once told me in h.s. that he'd name his company mervin after me after i teased him to name the snowboard company." i verified with mike and yep its true. and the big giant banner of mervin, himself, was also promoted at one time during mervin mfg's trade show props was a further proof. it was a picture of himself in h.s. when mike and mervin went.

i really am glad to have ties to mervin mfg. :)

For about two years in the 90's right after the innercourse. There was the buyers guide that Showed a board called the Asbestos Comp. I bug them for two years to build it... They said they never got the materials.. and never build it..and then they dropped all alpine initiatives.. and that was that..

Too bad the asbestos comp was suppost to be around 147cm....

Dam them.... Dam them all to hell...;):eek::eek::eek::eek: