Note to New Members ×

Least crowded resort or resort area?

SWriverstone

Short slalom turns, finished or not, carved or skidded, are called fall line skiing and it's perfectly acceptable way of going down the mountain. Normally the guys who can efficiently perform this are fully in controll. When we sweep our large arcs we often catch them by surprise - no one expects a rocket coming across the fall line. However, carver in front is not in fault as long as he is turning. The moment you start traversing, even just a little bit, in between your turns, you have no rights over the skier above you skiing the fall line. Take this very seriously, it's hard to prove in the court that you were not traversing.

I got hit, on a green run, by a real (non turning) straight-liner, while carving perfectly uniform arcs. He even got upset with me "You turned riht in front of me!" :(

where is this?

if you're down hill you always have the right of way unless you're crossing trails on a cat track

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it was still fun...but I still dream of being someplace...

Ski Pajarito, Los Alamos, New Mexico.

Crap now the cat is out of the bag. I was going to keep this little gem to myself, but I guess it's ok to share with my fellow carvers...

Funny I see a "long" lift line in New Mexico and it takes maybe five minutes to get on the lift. Then I go to Colorado and can't deal with some of the lineups there. Guess I'm spoiled! ;)

I can empathize with Scott. It's a fact on most hills the green runs are going to filled with people. Most are intermediate, enjoying the hill but here are always going to be reckless testost crazed jibbers coming in close to you. It seems the further you get away from the park and into more challenging terrain, the more people are responsible how they ride and take into consideration their surroundings.

ps: anybody clocks from behind/uphill even traversing is going to know they're in the wrong from me,and they're going to remember it a very long time.Call it educating the ignorant.

The moment you start traversing, even just a little bit, in between your turns, you have no rights over the skier above you skiing the fall line.

Here is the Responsibility Code from the National Ski Patrol at http://www.nsp.org/1/nsp/Safety_Information/YourResponsibilityCode.asp

Your Responsibility Code

1. Always stay in control, and be able to stop or avoid other people or objects.

2. <b>People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.</b>

3. You must not stop where you obstruct a trail, or are not visible from above.

4. Whenever starting downhill or merging into a trail, look uphill and yield to others.

5. Always use devices to help prevent runaway equipment.

6. Observe all posted signs and warnings. Keep off closed trails and out of closed areas.

7. Prior to using any lift, you must have the knowledge and ability to load, ride and unload safely.

Know the code. It's your responsibility.

Hey Brad---good meeting you too! I did two more runs after you went in and then got out of there (my legs were toast, LOL).

BlueB...is that for real? I mean have you read/heard that traversing won't stand up in court? I tend to agree with the Responsibility Code---if you're downhill, you have the right of way, period.

I know there have been threads here in the past on this subject (I probably started one, LOL)...but I don't think the resorts around here do anywhere near enough to remind people that anyone downhill has the right of way. Around here, it's "Mob Rule"---do something the mob's NOT doing, and you're at fault! :AR15firin

I swear I almost decided today to just stand at the top by the lift and shout at people as they came by: "Hit someone downhill of you and it's your fault!"

BTW BlueB, I appreciate your comments about fall line skiing (didn't know that term) and you're right---plenty of people who do that are very good. But that (IMO) places the burden even MORE squarely on them to slow down or turn to avoid one of us going across the slope. If you're good (and watching where you're going) you can *always* avoid someone below you without forcing the person below you to slam on the brakes or radically alter their path.

Scott

2. People ahead of you have the right of way. It is your responsibility to avoid them.

I think we all have read these signs at the resorts, and yes, I realize that one has implicity agreed to abide by these rules by buying a lift ticket.

But I'm sure that rule wasn't intended to relieve everyone downhill of anyone else from all responsibility and common sense. When someone who is stopped downhill of you suddenly starts moving into your path, without looking, when you are 15 feet away, are you really at fault if you hit them? I have a feeling that the answer (at least in the USA) is probably yes, unfortunately. And what about people who let their snowplowing children take up an entire narrow run, bumbling back and forth as you try to pass? Are they truly in the right no matter what happens?

Something I do to warn people in these situations is yell at them. I just kind of go "Hep hep hep!" to let them know I'm there. I think it's averted a collision a time or two. Of course, with iPods on the slopes, this may not do much good anymore. (Which is why I think they should be banned. How often have you known someone was in your blind spot only by the swoosh of their displaced snow?)

I'm no lawyer, but I know that negligence is defined as failure to do what an ordinary, reasonable person would do in a situation. I think we'd all agree that on a ski slope, that means looking before moving suddenly in any direction--and that includes looking uphill.

sorry for chuckling, i guess it's just bad luck...i had on news radio (WTOP) as i was getting dressed and happened to hear that northern VA kids were out today...I met Mike (Boardman73) and toward the end of the day we took a few runs on MInuteman...it's was near empty!!! (hard to see though, b/c the sun was going down and lights weren't on yet). I'll just wait a lot of times for masses to clear, though there is somethign to be said for learning to make narrower turns IMO.....

ttyl

barry

Ski Pajarito, Los Alamos, New Mexico.

Hmm... How far is it from Red River? I will be coming up their for spring break, it would be nice to get rid of the crowds and try some new (to me) terrain.

Funny I see a "long" lift line in New Mexico and it takes maybe five minutes to get on the lift. Then I go to Colorado and can't deal with some of the lineups there. Guess I'm spoiled! ;)
Ever been to Red River during peak times (spring break, Christmas)? I have probably seen it go twice this long (into the catwalk from the base/beginner area). It is probably about as long as lines in CO, but with no highspeed quads to speed up the wait. (hope these pictures show):

10y2zxv.jpg

4kzk42.jpg

view.php?pic=4kzk42&s=3view.php?pic=10y2zxv&s=3

Hmm... How far is it from Red River? I will be coming up their for spring break, it would be nice to get rid of the crowds and try some new (to me) terrain.

Ever been to Red River during peak times (spring break, Christmas)? I have probably seen it go twice this long (into the catwalk from the base/beginner area). It is probably about as long as lines in CO, but with no highspeed quads to speed up the wait.

It's about 1.5 hours from Red River. Maybe 2. It's just NW of Santa Fe.

Pajarito is only open Fri-Sun, and they only use natural snow. So it's quite hit and miss every year as I understand it. It's easily one of the steeper resorts in New Mexico IMHO, but the runs are a bit shorter. They groom a decent amount so it sets up well for carving. Oh yeah and lifts are only $45. Can't beat that!

If you're going to be at Red River for Spring Break plan on going to Angel Fire on a Sunday and meeting up. I'll treat you to a few drinks in the parking lot if the lineups are too long! ;):biggthump

In Idaho now and just had to mention Soldier Mountain

http://www.soldiermountain.com/

Today they got a 5" of snow but it seemed a lot more on the mountain. Way too soft to carve on the groomed stuff but got in 19K feet of fresh, untracked powder EVERY RUN (!) so you might say it's pretty quite. Lifties said it's really empty on Thursday and Friday. Not exactly a "destination resort" but it's cool.

Spent 4 days in Sun Valley, enjoyed the big mountain but little Dollar Mountain was really great for good carving and few people...only got passed ONCE in 3 DAYS OF RIDING! (about 55,000 feet of vertical) High speed lift, great snow, really steep green runs, amazing lodge, and it's cheap-35 bucks!

I think nearly deserted areas are worth the search.