Note to New Members ×

Retro Contest at SES and ECES!

fin

A snowy monday, and all through the mountain, the skiers were gawking.

We had several participants for the retro contest(3) and several more who sported vintage outerwear for the occasion. Thanks to everyone who showed up!

Fin, Brian(oldsnowboards), and Al(gunderfoot) made the required run to qualify at 1pm. They were joined by Paul(K), Allee, and Kevin, to provide medical support in case of emergency.

post-520-141842250191_thumb.jpg

post-520-141842250193_thumb.jpg

post-520-141842250195_thumb.jpg

Brian from "OldSnowboards.com" went above and beyond...Not only did he show up with two different period outfits, but he also was denied access to the lifts while on that vintage burton...20 years of snowboarding and he still can't ride the lifts! For his efforts, he was awarded a prize of a vintage snurfer...He can provide more details.

post-520-14184225023_thumb.jpg

The prize was very well thought out and "Most Appropriate" Snurfer "Decca" Red Brunswick. Thanks again for the oldschool fun.

The first board I rode was a Lib Tech "Innercourse" I bought new with Burton "Vari-Plate" Bindings. Stance is VERY narrow.

Made two runs on the high speedd.

Second was a Burton "PowderGun" from 83. No base material, no edges, 1-1/2" fins removed. Rode with the first pair of boots Burton marketed. (Italian hiking boots) Everyone ran for cover!!

• 4 weeks later...
Was Bryan the original owner of the boards and boots he rode? Were there other accessories?

Gonna be a tough call between him and the ECES winner...

Hi Matt, I brought 4 plus different oldsnowboard set ups , complete with boards , bindings, boots, clothes and accessories.

I only had time for two eras.

First was a Lib Tech Inner-course , bought new, with bindings by me back in the day, it was complete with original stomp pad and leash. It only had a couple days on it and was /is minty new. I moved quickly between boards as a rule back then. Board development was changing fast back then and I was always looking to try the next set up. Rode it two runs on the high speed chair.

For the next era , Burton Experimental "Powder Gun" from 1982/83 season. The fore-runner to the Performer series. It was the Big Gun in the Burton line up and few are even aware of this boards existance it is commonly miss identified as a Burton Experimental "Performer". This outfit came with and very early Burton Jacket, Burton knitted cap , Burton gaiters, Burton Backpack etc. Burton FIRST commercially available "Branded" snowboard boots. I think there is video of me riding it, although I would not be real quick to brag about the performance :) Rubber "Water Ski" type bindings are clever but after riding hard boots they are pretty "Soft" let's say.

Bryan

More details / photos available at some point in the future.

The retro contest at Stowe was biased towards Asyms.* We had 6 contestants, 4 of which made a run on gondi line from the summit of Stowe.* Good weather and snow made the run quite memorable.The 6,* Tim from Michigan, Matt R, Paul K, Geoff, Alex J, and Steph J.* Tim missed the run to the top(he was late), and Steph missed the run due to binding problems.* The run was completed without incident, with all participants trying to emulate the euro style carve without much success.* Group photo's were taken at the bottom, and the judges went to work.* Farthest traveled with gear: goes to Tim.* driving from Michigan, his story will make you cry.Best boots: goes to Matt Roth.* can't beat the retro neon.Honorable mentions: Geoff,** great retro gear, mixed with modern hardware.* *************************** Alex, rode all day in that jacket, even when everyone else changed out.Runner up: Steph, You can't beat a chick that can pull off the eighties look, with style.ECES winner 2008: Paul K, with original equipment from the early nineties, boots, board, bindings, documentation and accessories in storage since 1987. The runner-up and first place finishers will enjoy skateboards donated by Performance Downhill in New Hampshire, awarded at the banquet held on thursday night.That all said....I had a blast riding both of my retro asyms on thursday.* I can't imagine what we looked like to skiers in the gondola overhead as we laughed and crashed our way down the mountain.* all in neon.* I hope we inspired other riders to dig out some old gear for the next retro day.* Sure we missed first tracks over on liftline that day, but I wouldn't trade the fun for anything that morning.Thanks to everyone who showed up thursday morning to support us.* long live the ECES!

post-520-141842253433_thumb.jpg

post-520-141842253435_thumb.jpg

Any one have some good shots of Bryan at the SES in his winning retro outfit? Need some good close-ups if you have them.

Fin, Bryan,

if it helps, I got some video footage of the "finals" inside the Buttermilk Bar, hosted by you and Bordy.. (YES, including the outdated rubbers issue :D)

If you like, I could cut some of it together for you and upload it somewhere..

Just let me know

Eric

Who says you can't EC on a 15 year old board:eplus2:

Ok fine, it wasn't a linked turn, but at least we have footage of us riding on those asyms. Oh and the open mouth gawks I got from 8 ski patrolers was priceless. After I told them this was a joke, they were rolling with:lol: