Note to New Members ×

question on snowboard cross equip

rschneid

I was watching snowboard cross racing over the weekend and it struck me that none of the competitors were in HB. Is there a rule that prevents that, or is there something not obvious to me that has them all in softboots? Seems to me that a hard booter would be at an advantage but that must be wrong or race evolution would have already caused that to happen. What am i missing?

Rich S.

Guest Boardbum

There has been a few guys in hard boots,Based on what I have seen over the years It first depended on the course set up. In the past some of the courses were not very technical,allowing the advantage to HB. At the Canadian Nationals last year they made the course very difficult for HB. So much so, that it was the first time I have seen Jaysey Jay switch to soft boots. Softbooter's don't like to see HB in a boardercross. HB are fasters but not the way some courses are going, SB give you more outs when needed

I lifted this from a Nov. thread.

Hard Boot vs not so soft

We in Canada have converted the last (3 or 4) hard booters who have achieved advanced (NorAm) status to "not so soft" gear. I'm strictly a hard boot rider (my son was too), however I've seen the results. These athletes are riding forward forward stance and carving like us... The WC course features are not favouring the hard boot set up. The NorAm circuit (last year) still had some "banked slalom" courses. I believe we will see fewer of those in the future.

Rob (of Caledon)

Guest Boardbum

I guess what I am really saying is that I enjoy the HB against SB. It takes a great HB to stay in control to beat a SB. I used to go to some of the NOR-AM's over the past 4 years and saw some good young HB in both US and Canada. To bad they seem to be conforming. If I was young enough I would love to give it try.

A hardbooter got silver at the last Olympics.

Thing is, if the berms are big enough, hard boots have no advantage.

Take the berms down and I'm sure you'd see a lot more hard boots out there.

But then it would be called giant slalom or something. :)