Note to New Members ×

Need Killington Advice

skategoat

I'm going to Killington with family in a couple of weeks. First time in 20 years for me. I can't remember much except to stay off Outer Limits where I had to pick up pieces of my broken glasses back in '84.

Where are the carve friendly runs? How to avoid crowds?

Any good restaurant recommendations of the cheap and friendly variety?

Warm up runs on Header under the Ram's head quad (parking in rams head is easier too)

Move over to Snowdon Mountain and carve up Bunny Buster

Challenging:

if they're groomed, Double Dipper and Cascade are sick steep carving runs, and Ovation is really good too (if there's no race course set there)

I have been lucky enough to find outer limits on one of the rare(I assume) days it was groomed...so you could get lucky...

Eats....depends on what you want. I really like Yoshi sushi but it is not cheap by any means...

Happy hour food at the wobbly barn isn't bad. Charity's has good snack/bar food too

The Garlic is a Tapas place that is always good.

McGrath's pours a nice pint of guiness and makes BIG sandwiches...

edit: from the Kmart website:

Free wings! From 3-6 you can get free wing from many of the establishments up and down Killington Road, including The Lookout, Charity’s, Sushi Yoshi and Casey’s Caboose. As your heading to the mountain in the morning check out the signs in front of the restaurants for their happy hour specials.

here's some vid of Header

http://www.bomberonline.com/VBulletin/showthread.php?t=18634

across the street is some nice gentle carving

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjr1yV62GOc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjr1yV62GOc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

is this "bunny buster" ?? 1st hill on your left coming up the access road

Casey's is good for free wings & popcorn- buy a $5 Longtrail and get a big salad bowl with 6-8 spicey wings, lotsa locals hangin' out.~Good Times

Guest Killington Bomber

• Superstar is a good run yet slightly crowed
  • Get there very early then the mountains yours
  • from the peak there is a variety of black and double blck dimond runs that are vacant and great for carving such as escapade, casacade and double dipper.
  • I am there everyweekend send me a message if you want to follow as a hands on guide.

Robert - did you get a Killington pass this year?

Kathy

Advice for skategoat:

Go first thing - K1 Gondi sometimes opens a few minutes early on weekends

Take most of Saturday off - unsafe

Most days good from 9-11am then go in for an early lunch - crowds thin during lunch hour and after 2pm

cold or rain days scare people off

One thing that can work well also is to head over to Needles eye area first thing - often people take awhile to get over there

Avoid bear mountain in the afternoon gets more crowded then

Canyon chair when running is great way to avoid crowds as is the glades or north peak chair, snowdon in the afternoon can get pretty quiet

Good carving runs - bunny buster, mouse run, mouse trap at snowdon

East fall, cascade when groomed (steep) double dipper (steep), rime, reason at the peak, needles eye (just to name a few)

Ramshead and snowshed also have some tamer practice runs

Have fun!

If the steeps aren't your thing, then snowdon is a good bet. Usually a little less crowded (slower lifts) and groomed blues. The run with the towbar/poma(?) is usually a little less crowded due to traffic flow if they aren't race training. Chute - under the lift is cool, not too steep, but narrower - good test of quick turns.

The glades/canyon lift services some good blues too. I almost never went to bear after they made it into Mt. Xgames... but it has a couple really nice ways down if you can get there before it fills with packs of skidding, baggy pants clad projectiles.

Ramshead has beginners all over the place, and some extended flats in spots. Snowshed even moreso. Definitely worth a try though.

Superstar and bittersweet are really good, but crowded trails... (bittersweet bumps up quick). Needles eye is another big and wide groomer.

My biggest grip (second biggest... behind crowds) is that there are so many cross trails that you are always stopping to avoid t-boning people (or being boned yourself). Gondola usually has the longest lines... esp. wknds.

________

Side effects of avandia

Robert - did you get a Killington pass this year?

Kathy

No i did not as i do not ride enough days to justify the cost. They have also done away with all discount programs for the ski clubs so will be spending most of my time at Okemo. I will be comming in march with the crew that you saw take a spill last year. Then heading to Stowe for the ECES. I gather that you bought a season pass again

Would you like to ride with me, ill be using a free style board but it still be fun. I also know the runs at killington like the back of my hand.

E-mail: napster686@yahoo.com

i would also like to hook up and ride with anyone else E-mail me.

KB:

I would love to ride with you but I have to keep my plans pretty loose since I am with a big group including young kids. If you see a guy in hardboots riding a board with a big maple leaf on the nose, that's me. Try to catch up with me and we'll take some turns together.

I am there from Feb. 10 to mid-week and not in Jan. as I originally stated.

Henry

Guest Killington Bomber

Yeah definatly im sure youll be easy to spot. Ill most likely be over on devils fiddle or any other tral on bear. If not probably doing peak gondola runs.ill be riding a free style board so carving may not be easy for me but ive been itching to follow and learn for an alpine rider becasue im going to pick up alpine riding prolly around mid feburary.

I am at K every weekend and would enjoy catching a few turns.

I am on a Donek or Coiler AM and go where ever I can get away from people.

Last year I spent most of my time in the canyon to avoid people. Got a lot of ice time.;) If you have a FSR I am on 8-15.

Guest Killington Bomber

illl be getting my slalomn board soon and i have a freestlye board but id love to ride with you if you would like even though ill be on my freestyle board. is it hard to make a transition from softbooting to hard?

I am a decent softbooter by the way so ill prolly be able to keep up.

SHould've mentioned that Pico is on the same ticket (at least I think it still is, since the ASC garage sale) and it's a whole nuther vibe over at Pico. MLK will be zooey, no doubt. Think about a rally over to Pico.

Just got "The Drift" newletter from K. Looks like great conditions for ya.

HAven't been on killingtonzone.com all season but worth taking a look

Outstanding Conditions for MLK Weekend!

Last week’s annual January thaw is a distant memory thanks to the deep base depths built by the world’s most extensive snowmaking system and our world-class fleet of 21 snowcats grooming more than 40 miles of terrain on a nightly basis. We’re heading into the MLK weekend with some outstanding skiing and riding conditions on more than 125 trails served by 26 lifts! The weatherman is also forecasting more snow for Thursday night into Saturday. Plus, snowmaking will continue throughout our trail network, including signature trails such as Outer Limits, and our Dream Maker Terrain Park will also be open this weekend! If you haven’t made a trip to Killington this season, then now is the time to experience the best après, dining, lodging and the most diverse terrain in the east at Killington Resort!

No deals anymore. The new owners increased prices and eliminated most deals.

You can go online and get a few % off or commit to multiple days over the season and set about 10% off.

Food prices have increased beyond NYC levels. I always pack in a lunch, especially with my kids.

Best advice for Killington:

Check uphill twice before a carving run!

Many clueless yahoos.

See you on the hill