Note to New Members ×

which (northeast) mountain?

xxguitarist

I have day trips through the local ski shop available to okemo, mt snow, killington, loon, sunapee, and waterville valley. All cost about the same ($67 +/- $2). All include the bus trip.

I've mainly been riding the local hill, but I got up to attitash back a week or so- the mild blues were okay there, and the greens were good for me, though it took some getting used to the layer of powder at the begining of the day.

Simple version: where should I go for nice consistent wide-ish groomers, preferably without toooo many little kids falling in front of me?

Let me cut to the chase. When ever one of these type posts come up you will get a bunch of folks who respond. For every person that likes one mountain you will find another that hates it. (They usually exagerate this hate by making a derogatory name for the mountain out of its real name.) You won't get a decisive answer out of this group. My suggestion, having been to all the mtns you list, would be to try em all! Find out who (carvers) will be at a mtn and go with the most carvers. All of these mtns are pretty much the same so pick by the fellow riders. Just a thought.

John

I'd try em all, because everyone has an opinion and you need to form your own. I really like Okemo and Mt Snow for wide carveable terrain, but I am just getting back into things so challenging terrain is not a priority for me. Mt.Sunapee has great grooming and some nice carving runs (I used to carve there all the time in high school) but it is on the small side. Killington will probably be more fun in you want more challenging terrain, it also is bigger than all the other mountains you mentioned. Never been to loon.

actually the only place I would stay from is Killington too much flat/cat track.

At Loon, 7 brothers, Picked Rock, Flying Fox and Blue Ox were my favorite carving trails years ago. I may have to sign up for Loon if they have a Feb date

Loon by far!

I have never been to mt snow or sunapee, but some days at loon, there could be 5-10 carvers. I heard one weekend there was 12. 2nd place would be Okemo. Its not that challenging and Ive had some of my best days last year there with one of my friends who teaches there.

With Killington, you get great variety, but it takes forever to get between trails. Loon is setup almost perfectly in my opinion. You can get to almost any good carving trail you want on the whole mountain from the gondola.

Let me know if you head up to loon, I ll be glad to ride with you.

actually the only place I would stay from is Killington too much flat/cat track.

At Loon, 7 brothers, Picked Rock, Flying Fox and Blue Ox were my favorite carving trails years ago. I may have to sign up for Loon if they have a Feb date

Gecko, If you like those trails, I think you will really enjoy "Cruiser" on Loon's new South Peak.

It looks like I may be doing okemo on the 20th with a skiier friend, maybe i'll get up to loon or some of the other places later in the season.

I really like Okemo. I haven't done a lot of exploring but so far, the god carving runs I have discovered are Sapphire, Upper Tomahawk, Exhibition and upper/lower Arrow. Those are the good blues anyway, (with the exception of upper Exhibition, which is a black).

Careful riding the knolls on upper exhibition. They're SUPER fun but one of them on the left descends much more rapidly than it ascends (ground drops out from under you), that's where I hurt myself. Be familiar with that before you take it at speed.

I haven't ridden much of the blacks at Okemo, but some of the trails to the left of the main chair look to be great for carving judging by their appearances on the ride up.

Gecko, If you like those trails, I think you will really enjoy "Cruiser" on Loon's new South Peak.

Damn that's long and wide and really not a New England style trail...that's it I'm headed to Loon on Feb 20 I should be done with most of my work related annoyances by then.

No blacks for me, thanks:biggthump

Attitash's blues were plenty for me, and I had plenty of speed on the greens. I ride a F2 speedcross, don't need too much speed to crank into the turns.

Thanks for the comments

funny you say Attitash because I used to think the place was LAME for carving. We'd go to Wildcrap or Slumday Rivah waaay before attiTRASH (insert exagerating hateful derogatory name for the mountain out of its real name :eplus2: ). :freak3:

Last season we spent ALOT of time there and figured out which trails to link and make it a really fun place to ride but it takes more than just looking at a trail map and tooling around linking trails.

The "bestest" mountain is the one your buddys are on. Riding solo or with a bunch of tools just ain't fun (unless it's a pow day and suddenly you have no friends) :rolleyes:

XX,

okemo, mt snow, killington, loon, sunapee, and waterville valley all have thei pro's and cons but ALL those MTS are fun to carve up.

on weekends I'd stay away from killington but there ARE some trails there to get away from the masses of gapers.

Attitash on weekends is Abenaki for carving and they just extended the high speed quad we like to call "the couch".

Look forward to riding with you and Gecko. :D

Any suggested greens to start the day on at okemo? nice consistent gradient & wide?

As above, I've got Sapphire, Upper Tomahawk, Exhibition and upper/lower Arrow for blues.

Hrrrm .. most of the treens at okemo are not very accessible from the front of the mountain. I've never ridden it, but I would imagine that your best bet is going to be Dreamweaver on the South Face Express Quad, or ColeMan Brook from the Solitude Express Quad. I've never ridden either but from the map it looks like they're your best bets. for wide blues that you could do a few warmup laps on.

There are some greens at the very bottom of the South Ridge Quad(s) in a slow-skiing/learning/near-base area (Lift Line ), but they're really not worth it, and the snow on them is almost always in awful shape.

hope that helps?

Thanks guys.. gotta figure out how to get TO some of those trails, but It'll work out.

I've got 2 friends going with me at the moment I think.. one will be renting a softboot board, the other rides hardboots.. good news is, shes a hardbooter, rides a coiler, and knows bruce. (gotta see if she can help me snag a blem) . bad news is, shes ex-racer and I'm not up for blacks!

I'm out for awhile until my shoulder heals, but it would be SO cool to get together with some other carvers - do you guys meet at Sunapee *every* thursday? I would love to join you in a month once I'm back in the game ...

I honestly don't know how I'm gonna hold out for a whole goddamned month.

I'm out for awhile until my shoulder heals, but it would be SO cool to get together with some other carvers - do you guys meet at Sunapee *every* thursday? I would love to join you in a month once I'm back in the game ...

I honestly don't know how I'm gonna hold out for a whole goddamned month.

usually, yes, we meet every thursday. check the ride board though or email me to confirm. im out next thur but should be in after that. wouldnt it be a haul for you? its a great day though, low crowds and great company.

john