Note to New Members ×

Shorter metal Priors?

BadBrad

I was noticing on the Prior website that the shorted WCR metal listed in the specs is a 173. The standard WCR specs list boards that are shorter (157, 163, and 169). Is there something about the metal boards that make them less suitable for shorter boards?

The 173 would probably work okay for my size and weight, but it would be a significant step up from what I'm used to (my current boards are 156 and 164), and I'm thinking that a 169 might be a better choice for me. I could probably custom order a 169 metal, but I was just wondering if that would be a bad choice for some reason, or if there is no benefit to metal on shorter boards.

Chris told me after the Metals first came out that the benefit of metal (dampness) is simply not realized on short boards. Short boards are for quicker turns and slower speeds where dampness simply matters less or may even be undesired. "Damp" is the last word I'd use to describe my Madd 158 and I love it to pieces.

If you're a small person you might use a shorter board for long turns in which case metal would be appropriate. But that's got to be a minority of a minority of a minority, so they're not going to make them as standard.

Why do all the big guys win their races on metal slalom boards then?

Like Sigi, and Bozetto who stepped over to Kessler metals after years of riding F2's??? Now Bozetto have won several races on Kessler Metal slalomboards like the slalom in Landgraaf for example.

Short, long, medium length…, the topsheet is not all. Titanal sure work’s great for many applications, but the materials used inside are sure important as well, if not even more important! Can’t just put a metal topsheet on anything and expect a winning combination...

Cheers!

but it's remarkable that Bozetto wins his duels now with a combo of a Metal Kessler and a plate on his boards. And he's not that young. So seems that metal is the way to go. Especially in that short fast tracks like slaloms, boardercross' and more of that timelimit, flagrounding things....

I have nothing with those timelimits, just enjoying the groomers, corduroys and so on.... and all that beautiful pics of those shiny Priors and Virus' :lurk:

Thanks for the replies. I'm just starting to research what I might want for my next board. I've always ridden pretty short boards. I still have a 156 Alp and 156 UltraPrime. I am 5'8" and was only about 140 lbs. when I bought those boards, and I was in the middle of their recommended weight range. Now I weigh about 165, but hoping to get back down close to 150. I generally ride small mountains and like to make a lot of turns at moderate speeds, so the shorter boards work well for me. I recently upsized and bought a 164 prior 4WD. They recommended the 164 since I've been riding 156's and my weight is in the middle of its recommended range. I'm sure the 169 would have been fine, too, though. Now I'd kind of like to add a longer dedicated carving board to my quiver and I'm looking at alternatives. The Prior WCS 169 looks like it might be a good fit for me, but based on other comments the 173 metal might also be a good choice. Hopefully I'll make it to SES and demo some boards to help me decide.