Note to New Members ×

Get on lift with 2 boards?

DiveBomber

why not just carry one?

non release skis are a bad idea!

no one is gonna bug you about it, I've often been seen carrying two boards, bundles of boo, fencing and so on all at resorts where I don't work. lifties usually don't give a **** in the first place and even if they do, if they realize you're either working a event or riding in one they will load you with whatever.

Ok, We'll see. Didnt think they'd be too fond of someone carrying a board in hand.

Taking a second board shouldn't be an issue, but I'd tend to take it in a bag or with something to protect the edges. Generally speaking, if we have to deal with this situation (fairly common with race training), we are required to put attach "additional equipment" to the chair (where I work, as we have no specific board holders on the side of the chairs, the easiest way is lifting the seat of a second chair, putting the board / skis underneath, and then putting the seat back down to hold it in place). Obviously, this is a bit of a pain, as it involves stopping the lift at least when you arrive ("loading" can be done with the lift in motion if you're good enough at your job), so some lifties will let you carry additional equipment yourself, but you will have to demonstrate that it's somehow attached, and can't fall and hurt someone, as well as convincing them that you can get on and off the lift without hurting yourself or anyone else.

A lot of this will depend on the attitude of the staff you encounter, and how busy the lift is at the time you want to take it. Be friendly, and ask nicely (might be worth asking the resort management nicely before hitting the lift, they tend to be fairly understanding but might give you a specific timeframe where you'll be allowed to do it).

Simon

Carrying a board in a bag seems a lot safer, and won't slide down the hill (as fast anyway) if dropped, and easier (or at least safer) to carry down the hill at the end of the day.

I know what you mean, the biggest PITA for me is having to trek to the car in my boots to swap boards or drop off jackets or whatever. My friends give me a bad time for it but I actually pick my resorts based on how close I can park to the lift :biggthump

I've taken a 2nd board & worn skis & carried a board up the lift before. But thats at my local hill where most of the lifties know me. If it's not busy & you can wait for a chair by your self it should not be a problem. Tell them your race training & if they still won't let you on they'll usually let you park it at the lift base & swap out at the bottom. Smooz up to any lifty who seems interested in your gear they'll usually try to accomodate you:biggthump

You think they'd stop me if i put one board on each foot?

reason is so I dont, have to run down the mtn/car to swap boards when training

Of course Id rotate the bindings to 90deg

Why not lock the board to a rack at the bottom of the mountain? You have to go down the mountain anyway so top or bottom makes no difference.

speaking of board/lift problems

me Espi and one of his friends saw something pretty damn funny over the weekend. we were getting on the lift at jiminy, and they had to stop the lift for about 2 minutes for a guy who tried to load, with his backfoot in his binding, and leashed! he attempted to tell us it was because he rode goofy, while Dave proceeded to ask if he had ever used a lift before (in a non condescending tone)

i wish i had a picture, he was barely in the seat:D

speaking of board/lift problems

me Espi and one of his friends saw something pretty damn funny over the weekend. we were getting on the lift at jiminy, and they had to stop the lift for about 2 minutes for a guy who tried to load, with his backfoot in his binding, and leashed! he attempted to tell us it was because he rode goofy, while Dave proceeded to ask if he had ever used a lift before (in a non condescending tone)

i wish i had a picture, he was barely in the seat:D

Back foot only? He might be the only "mongo" snowboarder in existance.:freak3:

Was this guy on a rented board? I've seen some places where the leashes are screwed to the binding so it ends up on the front binding for regular stance and rear for goofy. This can happen if the rental shop has an ignorant employee or two. The blind leading the blind.

DiveBomber, Just ask the lifty pollitely like it's no big deal and you do it all the time. You may want to leash it to the chair or your wrist after you load and un-leash it just before you unload.

We get a lot of racers wandering around with multiple boards/skis but generally they aren't around except during races. Where I work I doubt anybody would care, we would probably just all look at you funny. I'd be happy to toss your board in the shack with mine. No guarantee or anything and I'm sure ski co would deny responsibility but I don't mind looking after people's stuff. Maybe the other lifties there would do the same. Seems like I have somebodies backpack or something around all the time.

Was this guy on a rented board? I've seen some places where the leashes are screwed to the binding so it ends up on the front binding for regular stance and rear for goofy. This can happen if the rental shop has an ignorant employee or two. The blind leading the blind.

DiveBomber, Just ask the lifty pollitely like it's no big deal and you do it all the time. You may want to leash it to the chair or your wrist after you load and un-leash it just before you unload.

Yeah Ok, I guess thats about the only thing those mini leashes are good for!

Guest AllMountain

i have mild knee trouble. my knee really only hurts when sitting on the lift with the weight of a board hanging from it. i usually put it on the foot rest, when available, or try to rest it on top of my free boot, which usually helps a little but is not optimal.

never occurred to me to just get on the lift, carrying my board, with both feet free. am i likely to be allowed to do that?

i have mild knee trouble. my knee really only hurts when sitting on the lift with the weight of a board hanging from it. i usually put it on the foot rest, when available, or try to rest it on top of my free boot, which usually helps a little but is not optimal.

never occurred to me to just get on the lift, carrying my board, with both feet free. am i likely to be allowed to do that?

Most likely not at least here in Sun Valley. Go to Snowbasin and just ride the gondolas and tram. :biggthump They have a bunch of them and then your leg won't hurt.

Part of the skier responsibility code is that you know how to load and unload the lift safely and have safety equipment attached. Obviously racing and carrying an extra board is a separate issue. I have raced and carried extra boards up the hill at numerous resorts around the west without issue. Also ridden up with no board on without issue.

I have seen spores trying to get on carrying their stuff and been denied rightly so. If you go to a doctor and get a medical disability then they would. If you are getting knee pain while riding the lift, that is an early indicator of muscle, tendon or ligament issue that should be able to be addressed through physical therapy or strengthening exercises.

Good luck.

Re: Carrying your (only) board up - likely to be disallowed unless the lift has a special dispensation for pedestrians (usually with timetables and so on).

Re: Rear foot only attached - much more common than you think, a good way of weeding out those who really didn't ought to be taking the lift that only goes up to blacks and reds at the end of the day. Both feet attached is another good one, we usually point out politely that it's recommended to detach a foot, but if the client insists, they we let them get on with it, then laugh when they fall over[2].

Re: asking the lifty to look after your board - generally a good plan, especially if you're using one of them newfangled monoskiboard things :) Resort disclaimers notwithstanding, your board will be a *lot* safer in the lifty's cabin than attached to a rack or stood up in the snow outside a restaurant.

Simon

I thought I'd posted about this before, but obviously not. Time for another one in the funny stories thread.

Both feet attached is another good one, we usually point out politely that it's recommended to detach a foot, but if the client insists, they we let them get on with it, then laugh when they fall over.

I ride with both feet in all the time. If i'm not at my home mountain, I grab a pole from someone I'm with who skis. If the lifty says anything I tell them I've got poles so it's a monoski.:biggthump Only chair I've ever been dragged under was on the bunny hill at my home hill, and that was just plain funny.:ices_ange

Doctor's note or not, ridding the chair without a board on your feet may end up worse for your knee. Running down the unloading ramp is not the easiest thing to do, especialy with a snowboard in one hand.

The ADA ( American's With Disabilities Act ) provides for access to all kinds of activities and skiing is one of them. If you can prove that you have a physical disability that precludes from you normal operation of the lift then there are several avenues of recourse from registering with the ski area and getting a special pass to allow non-standard use of the lift system. It would take more than showing the liftie a note.

Through the SVASP ( Sun Valley Adaptive Sports Program - http://svasp.org/ ) there are tons of disabled skiers using the ski area. Especially with what it is going on Iraq and Afganistan. So we have all kinds of differently abled using the area.

I know this is a little different than what allmountain was talking about. So no they won't let you carry your board up, unless you have a really good reason why.

The SVASP is particularly supportive of vets and takes recommendations for a rehab week that brings vets together for snow play, if you know someone who has been injured send them a line.