Note to New Members ×

Burton Safari identification help

pow2Corderoy

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have the same comp 1 multi color zebra...never rode it thu but am eager to try.. the comp II is easier to turn, it was my second board :) and a beginner board for me

The comp 1 is a stiff beast, was intended for GS... comp II was more for slalom, and III for GS..

In Canon surf 2 movie, Jean nerva rides exclusively the comp II in pow only... amazing footage of that board, that performed quite well in pow due to its width and stiffness

N

I loved that board back in the day and probably still would if I owned one. The Comp I with the multi-colored zebra stripes brought my riding to the next level. It was stiff and had a fairly long side cut radius back in the day. Would love to ride one again, but it takes the old 5-hole binding pattern and those bindings are fairly hard to come by. I rode mine with the darth vadar 3-straps, but know someone that road theirs with the old burton plates.

Thank you for all of your responses.

I lucked into the board. It looks like someone bought it because they wanted to get on the bandwagon in 88/89. They took a run, probably stugled enormously, and put it in storarge for 20 years. It's pristine. I can't wait to give it a shot.

the serial # 190328982

Here are some pics.

post-6298-14184224376_thumb.jpg

post-6298-141842243761_thumb.jpg

Comp I = 160cm, SL (this is your board)

Comp II = 165cm, GS

Comp III = 175cm, SG/DH

The Comp II had nose/waist/tail measurements of 295/267/295mm and a running length of 135cm. This made for a sidecut radius of over 16m. I only know this stuff because I had the Comp II and I was so excited for it that I memorized the specs.

The Comp I had a narrower waist, I think 255mm.

P2C:

I've got a pair of shin straps (3rd strap) for those Vader bindings if you are interested. Free to you if you'll cover shipping costs. I'll look for the plastic hardware to attach them to the binding but, I think it would be better to use stronger hardware.

Let me know if you are interested.

Mark

If you want to use modern plates, there is a way. Try and get some three hole discs for your bindings. Then take your board to a good Snowboard technician and get them to make the 3d insert pattern using the centre hole of the five hole pattern and using t-nut's. This minimises damage as you only have to drill the board four times instead of eight as you would if you wanted a four hole pattern. I have two pj's drilled this way and they ride great because it also widens the stance. Or better still get some old Burton rat traps and a pair of old Koflach ski mountaineering boots, that's how i used to ride mine in 88. I will try and post some pictures of my pj's so you know whay i am talking about. Enjoy

Comp I = 160cm, SL (this is your board)

Comp II = 165cm, GS

Comp III = 175cm, SG/DH

The Comp I had a narrower waist, I think 255mm.

Safari Comp I

Overall Length:160cm.

Nose/Waist/Tail width:288/245/283

Running surface: 130 cm.

Camber: 9mm.

Sidecut magnitude per side: 20mm

weight: 4.0 kg.

"New tighter stance width for modern

riding technique with multiple widths:

39.4 and 42.7 cm."

"The Safari Comp I was designed for

lighter weight men and women who want

a board that is extremely quick edge to

edge. For riders up to 150 lbs."

post-520-141842243782_thumb.jpg

post-520-141842243783_thumb.jpg

I have a Comp II 165 with the burton plates from the time (scary!- thanks PSR!). I was taking out to ride a board older then my students (high school kids now- makes you feel old, eh?). :biggthump

Crap, it sure rides like you would expect a board from 1989 to. :lol: Still, I took it on some 40 deg plus steep tree runs in 2 ft of fresh last year. More action then old girl had seen in some time.

I like the shape, and wouldn't mind trying one with, well, a different construction. That and the inserts are rather close (and in constant danger of ripping out).

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Paul can you e-mail me that photo of the specs page and/or post some specs? I have a 170 Safari Comp II, black and white.

I also picked mine up with the Legends at Donner race in mind. I put the old variplates on it. I didn't make it to the race last year but I did dress up and take it for a spin for retro day at Mt. Rose last year.

Hey Paul can you e-mail me that photo of the specs page and/or post some specs? I have a 170 Safari Comp II, black and white.

I also picked mine up with the Ledgends at Donner race in mind. I put the old variplates on it. I didn't make it to the race last year but I did dress up and take it for a spin for retro day at Mt. Rose last year.

PM sent!

The two-page spread of Jean Nerva surfing a powder wave on the inside front cover of that catalog is still to this day the best photograph of a snowboarder ever taken. To me it says, "this is snowboarding. you can't do this on skis."

Paul, can you oblige?

The two-page spread of Jean Nerva surfing a powder wave on the inside front cover of that catalog is still to this day the best photograph of a snowboarder ever taken. To me it says, "this is snowboarding. you can't do this on skis."

Paul, can you oblige?

I've been trying to seek out that turn ever since....

got alot of practice the last few days at Stratton:)

So was 89 the year of the Black & White Safari?

Paul is going to send me those pics, thanks guys!

Jack, that photo is sweet. Is that the same picture where there is a skier coming at him just out of the frame? Maybe I'm thinking of a different picture but the one I'm referring to is from a poster they have at Donner Ski Ranch.

Set it up w/vintage variflex plates (bolstered to minimize "rocker"), and you'll be riding an archaic setup that was well-ahead of it's time.

WB, Can you explain what you mean by 'bolstered'? At 220+lbs this isn't a setup I would ride often but if there is something I can do to make the veriplates safer I'm interested.

So was 89 the year of the Black & White Safari?

Paul is going to send me those pics, thanks guys!

Jack, that photo is sweet. Is that the same picture where there is a skier coming at him just out of the frame? Maybe I'm thinking of a different picture but the one I'm referring to is from a poster they have at Donner Ski Ranch.

89 was the year of the black & white Safari. No, there's nobody in the picture with Nerva. Just him, horizontal on a toeside up near the crest of this snow drift that looks like a perfect wave. The topsheet of his Safari is perfectly facing the camera.

Yeah Paul, I've been seeking that turn ever since too. Hasn't quite happened. 19 years and counting...

I'd like to get my hands on an old Cruzer 165 for retro day.ohhh, the memories.

'87-'88 season at stratton was a break thru on the Cruzer.I still prefered the ski boots and speedy skis to clunky sorels with felt liners.

but, man that snowboarding is kinda fun ! :cool:

post-123-141842244901_thumb.jpg

jeannerva1hj8.th.jpg

Jean confirmed me its from 1990 winter.. boards seems to be first PJ's...not sure i dont recognize them but its not safaris for sure.

As for the Safari comp II. Jean rides it full time in Canon surf and its a 1988 movie... so i think 1989 was the year between Safari and PJ, at least for Jean..

I'll give more info when i get them :)

Nils

Interesting pics of Jean Nerva and Peter Bauer bring back fond memeories.

One thing of note is that many folks of modern extreme carving styles and techniques claim that P&J only did thier Euro Carves on toe side. Yes almost all still photos of them are toe side. However, How many of you have seen the Warren Miller "Tweaked and Twisted" film? There are plenty of shots showing P&J carving endless turns. The best section in the movie is the "Russian Powder" section. Craig Kelly ain't too bad either. And ""THE JOKER" is still going strong and as cool as ever. Got to be familiar with his antics in my freelance Mistral salesperson days.

Grandfather Wolf

aka Chase

P.S. Where did all the time go? Seems like just yesterday I was Qualifying/testing boarders and handing out competency cards so they could ride the whole mountain in '85.:eek: