Note to New Members ×

How many of you are involved in motorsports?

newcarver

See a lot of racers of the blacktop variety in avitars. Wondering how many are competing in some form of auto racing? If you do race, what type of car? I am a skidder of sorts in more ways than on the snow. I have an IMCA open wheel modified that I run on dirt. Have raced everything from dirt oval go karts, INEX Legends on asphalt ovals, dirt ovals, and road courses, to BMX when I was a kid. Just got into the hardboot stuff this season after softbooting it for 10 yrs. Here is a pic of my car.

post-5799-141842243721_thumb.jpg

Oval track racing looks like it would be really fun to do, my budget won't allow for it though.

I live for autocross in the summer. Many years spent in Miatas, but I spent the past season driving a 500 hp Camaro. In-car video:

This car is insane - it took me quite a while not to have my brain go into panic mode when I was able to hit full throttle.

Spectacular diff failure:

We knew the diff was going to go, but the year-end championship was on the line so the car owner told me to go for it. Won the championship by 1 point out of 9000 even though this whole race day was scrubbed!

I also ice raced a CRX in the rubber to ice class. It's fantastic fun but I'd honestly rather spend my time and money snowboarding. I have ice race videos up on YouTube but they're 10 minutes long and frankly a little boring.

Next summer I'll be autocrossing my Honda S2000 in A Stock and travelling to some big US events including Nationals in Topeka. Picture: http://i12.tinypic.com/879kcv5.jpg

I was thinking USRA in Utah. H&H just seems like a crazy style of racing. The start scares the bejeezus out of me.

You seen USRA schedule? Looks pretty good. I tried it once two summers ago at Delta. It was insane. The start, that is. However, it was a very long ride. I believe you'll like it. I might try again this year.

A good friend of mine races the national H&H series and finished 13 overall last year on a 250 ktm so this year he has to race in the pro class. I might try one or two but i really miss the trees and rocks, roots I'm more of a techincal rider.

That's how I feel too. trees and rocks are the preference, but trying everything keeps it interesting. I've always loved the desert rides and am curious about the racing formats. From talking to some of the better local racers, many of the desert racers are strong on the open stuff and flail in anything tight and technical. I think that their definition of flail is probably different than mine though.

I wish I could ride my bikes or even board or ski but, I'm out for a long time with a blood clot in my leg from racing in my first dez race back in sept. I'm hoping to go and ride The Colorado 500 in August which I did in 2006 and had a blast till then I have to hang low.

is the 500 in Taylor Park again? I don't know if it is there every year or if it is moved around

That blows about the blood clot. I understand the need to stay low key until all is well. I lost someone lose 6 years ago to a blood clot. Will you be able to ride on dirt or snow anytime soon? not sure what the recovery time is for something like this

The 500 starts in basalt then goes to Crest Butte then down to Ouray then over to Telluride then back to Aspen . I do remember going though Taylor pass and Black bear pass which over looks down into Telluride with a bunch of switch backs all the way down to town very steep the top is like 12000 feet and the views are breath taking.

I raced cars for 15 years up until last year when I sold my last car. I am trying to get my wifes approval to start road racing bikes but that is not going so well.

I have raced-

Speed world challange (touring BMW 325)

Grand Am Cup

SCCA F2000

SCCA T-3 (Mazda RX8)

SCCA Formula Vee

SCCA American Saden

SCCA Spec Miata

All road racing

My Avatar is me in a F2000