Note to New Members ×

TD2 Suspension Kit

RDY_2_Carve

Did the phillips screws ever get replaced by the 5mm hex screws with this kit?

If not I assume I could order the correct screws from mcmaster? Anybody else done this?

Just curious what the deal was with these screws? Are they hard to find in that length or?

Perhaps I'm being anal, but I can't have a phillips head screw in my TD2's, sorry!

I have similar length hex screws but for some odd reason angle of srew of xex ones is diffrent than originals. So i would need rather 1-2mm longer hex screws and i can not find such odd length.

Or to be exact i dont know if angle is different but they dont go as deep in inserts as originals. Need to examine that one day :eek:

Did the phillips screws ever get replaced by the 5mm hex screws with this kit?

If not I assume I could order the correct screws from mcmaster? Anybody else done this?

Just curious what the deal was with these screws? Are they hard to find in that length or?

Perhaps I'm being anal, but I can't have a phillips head screw in my TD2's, sorry!

You will be able to get the correct length (20mm) from McMaster, but they will be 4mm hex, not 5mm hex. 4mm is the standard size hex size for M6 flat-head hex screws

Fin had all of the 5mm hex screws that come with the TD2 custom made. At least that's what he said in THIS thread.

Sooooo....

Fin, it's been a couple of years since you said NOT to hold out for 5mm hex heads for the suspension kits. Have you changed your mind yet? You know we all want them. You could even gouge us big time, and we'd still buy them. ;)

I sooooooo feel your pain guys. It killed me to have to go with a Phil on those screw heads (yes, they are 20mm long for reference). The custom M6 screws that have the 5mm socket on the rest of the TD2 are custom made and have to be ordered in lots of a Gajillion. As many of the Suspension kits as we sell, it still is not enough to justify the cost. Yet.

We could go with the 4mm allen head but in testing we just found you could not get the needed torque with such a small hex key. The #2 Phillips seems to work better. Either way, it is a second tool.

Stick with us guys, I hope to make everyone happy soon.

The custom M6 screws that have the 5mm socket on the rest of the TD2 are custom made and have to be ordered in lots of a Gajillion. As many of the Suspension kits as we sell, it still is not enough to justify the cost. Yet.

How many is a gajillion? Hopw many of us would need to go in for 50 to make it work? 20mm are useful for the 3/16" lexan riser users too ;)

Stick with us guys, I hope to make everyone happy soon.

Always!

I have similar length hex screws but for some odd reason angle of srew of xex ones is diffrent than originals. So i would need rather 1-2mm longer hex screws and i can not find such odd length.

Flat head screws come in 3 different included angles from what I've seen.

82, 90, 100 degrees. Unlikely you have the 100 degree unless you've managed to pilfer some hardware from a military base. So... you may indeed have a flat head screw with a different included angle than the original TD2.

Fin? What do you say?

As I understand it, a Metric flat-head screw will always have a 90 degree head. SAE screws can have several angles but I believe most are 82 degrees.

So if you have a Metric screw it should be a 90 degree head and will work in the center disk of the TD2.

nekdut: a trick I do with mine is to grease JUST the flat-head section of the screw. This makes it tighter and less prone to sticking when trying to remove. Also, make sure the screw driver you are using is in good shape. A bad tip on a driver will spend its life wrecking screw heads.