Note to New Members ×

Replicating the "pull" part of a turn

Bobby Buggs

About 12 years ago I built a universal gym out of 80 board feet of 4x4 cedar and 300.00 worth of nuts, bolts,pullies and cables from Ace Hardware.It started out as just a way to build a bench press rack that looked like furniture but the project quickly took on a life of it's own and morphed into a very functional all around gym that includes pullies at slightly above shoulder level and at ankle level.The ankle level pullies work for both hamstring and glute execises as well as inclined flys. They serve the exact purpose you mentioned when pulling movements are performed while sitting in a chair during positive and negative reps.Many health clubs I have been to have pully machines on which similar exercises can be done.There are of course more traditional 'prone position hamstring machines but I also like to replicate real life movements as much as possible and find doing it with pullies also recruits more core and periferral muscle.

ps,It took alot of coaxing to get Maureen to let me move the machine from Colorado to Idaho.

Ok, I was afraid you might say that.Now I have to come clean and say I have not yet made space in the shed as our old fixerupper of a house here in Idaho does not have the space yet.I will get it out of the garage soon(too much accumulated stuff in there) I have been installing insulation in the shed so it will hold heat long enough to avoid hypothermia.I have been getting my workouts in mostly through the club where my spinning studio is,but have been wanting to ressurect the beast since I hate to wait my turn to use machines.I will post pics soon,because it is pretty cool and functional.

I'm certainly no fitness expert.

With that said...I love hill running. The steeper the better. My home is surrounded by rolling fields. Just across the street I have a hill about 150 yards long that undulates in steepness. I've read that exercises that have you raising your knees up high builds powerful, "explosive" energy. So on the way up I keep my knees high. I do laps and alternate between running forward and backwards up the hill. (Try running uphill backwards - now that's a good thigh burner.) I jog lightly dowhill between the hill reps. I also run on grass which keeps the impact down.

If you're at the gym, a stairclimber that allows a long range of movement (getting the knees up high and then pushing them to an elongated position) for your legs may help. It's also a low impact exercise.

Pull and push muscles are actually the same. Or, if you wish, there are only push muscles. Or, pull motion is still a push but weaker then cetrifugal force you are experiencing in that part of the turn.

If you were to really pull, you would end up in an instant airborn edge change, or fall.

This is why we experience quad burn but noting on the aft side of our upper legs.

Even if one does not consciously use a certain muscle group,in an activity that heavily favors one group and underutilizes another it makes sense to train the underutilezed muscle to avoid imbalance.Cyclists for example, notoriously have shortened hamstrings and lack range of motion for lack of use and or, not stretching . I actually do feel the pulling sensation when I think about it and have fun making it happen when transitioning from heel to toe edge.I'm not the expert on what works for everybody that many here seem to be but I know what works for me.

I think D-SUB is reffering to a simple piece of equipment called a Roman chair. There is no seat to it, just padded armrests and handles at the ends and it is elevated so when in it your feet are off the ground. It is a very simple but great exercise especially when weights are added to the feet. You just hang suspended from your fore arms and draw your legs up to simulate a sitting position or higher. It is great for developing that retraction move necessary for that quick cross under move in racing or aggressive riding and skiing. In my opinion a must do exercise.

I think a Rowing Machine might really help with your leg issue!

A rowing machine also closely replicates the pushing and pulling motion when carving.

Check out the industry standard ...

http://www.concept2.com/us/default.asp

Ergometers (rowing machines) are evil. Evil evil evil.

Just don't be "that guy" and use it wrong. Power stroke goes legs, back, arms. Return stroke goes arms, back, legs. Mess it up and you risk being backhanded by an actual rower.

2000 meters in under 7 minutes separates the men from the boys.