Note to New Members ×

Style differences

Pow

What's your style do you use through the carve?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What's your style do you use through the carve?

• shift weight tip to tail
    • shift weight tail to tip
    • plant weight on front foot
    • plant weight toward center
    • plant weight on back foot
    • plant weight toward tip and tail
    • other

I've always shifted my weight in a tip to tail motion throughout the carve, which worked last year and all summer on the longboard. Im pretty sure this is the way most people do it, but i recently read an article that had me switching it up and liking the results.

On the carvers almanac, a lesson in carving Doug Dryer style persuaded me to try keeping my weight on the back foot throughout the carve. It was like day and night, i suddenly had all this stability and I could really hold on the ice. I didnt hold this style forever, the front leg was burning and i missed the excitement of the other style so i tucked the new found stance away until i needed it for ice and ruts.

Just wondering how others ride, what influences their styles, and what benefits they reap from them. Please no flaming, everyone's entitled to their own riding style, im actually hoping to see some variation here, not all "perfect carving" (although if you know how to do that, please let me know)

I appologize for the slight typo in the poll title. it should read "what style do you use through the carve?"

I would say it depends on what I want the board to do...... I tend to switch it up depending on what the terrain is and how I want the board to behave...... Also depends on the board. I guess there is no one way for me.

I figured that would be the case, so i allowed the poll to be "multiple response", I myself went with two.

This is for carving, but not just on the groomers. Carving the groomers and everywhere else is the style im asking about. Please feel free to explain your style and why you use it.

Ohhhh, a true multiple choice.... I didn't catch that.

I bet the others are like me.

I think the easiest way to explain it is, depending on what board I am on, if I transfer my weight from the tip to the tail it is for the universal terrain, nothing funny, but still unknown. I haven't totally comitted yet, and it still gives me the a level of comfort in the carve.

If I am on really nice cord, or hero snow, I can comitted to just weighting the rear foot straight off, I don't have to worry about my tail washing out.

I think even pressure is for most push pull type riding where I am just playing around.

I am not quite sure about tail to tip transfer unless I feel the tail stat to slide so I shift some weight to the tip, which makes you slide out anyway........ Nope, can't think of a use for that one.....

On the other hand, I know I just mix it up to see what effect doing what has to the way it behaves.

So that is my basic idea of what I think I do when I ride....... And why.

I dont know how to describe the body dynamic of my style. i just know i have the tendencies to "rail" it thru witht he edge and then manipulate the board, accordingly -- forward lean or back lean with knees bent and heads up and arm ahead of me and half-squat, but then when im changing course rapidly like GS or SL, i squat even more so or stay semi-squat depending on the gradient and the off-on chamber to make the aim. Slightly straigthening the knees (not all the way but close to stand) is something i avoid when im racing, but utilize sometimes via carving. So I dont know where this style/stance stands in terms of your poll? -shrugs-

PS I think the forward lean would be most probable for using my Madd 158, whilst with volkl renn tiger 170+ something, i adjust accordingly (like i describe above).

Hmm, hard to answer. I try to fit my riding to the conditions by using all possible tools. So my technique my vary from turn to turn - depending on the ground.

I've read the link with the Doug Dryer Style. To me it looks like the good oldschool carving style, that Pogos like so much to be ridden with.

While I find I mostly shift my weight tip to tail through a turn, my riding style will depend on the board and riding conditions. I ride in the East so this style works well for me and helps me on ice, but I found that did not work at all at the SES. With hero snow needed to center my weight.

I ride Madds and load the nose when starting my turn, I had to change that when riding a Virus with a softer nose. The steeper the trail the more aggressively I load the nose.