Note to New Members ×

Ski Carving

skipuppy

That is some real good carving. It's saying something when somebody can't keep enough weight on the outside ski to keep it from chattering like that. That means inside ski is as far up as it will go... I do notice quite a bit of upper body movement though. He seems to flail around a bit.

He seems to flail around a bit.

Actually, it's a girl...

Btw, there's a boy at Cypress who can throw few of these on 2 planks ;)

Skipuppy,

The key is very aggressive cross-under transition. Slalom skis bite in nicely, but often boot-out due to narrow waist. You need very big carving plate or wider skis, 75+, something like Metrons or Elan Magfires. Girl in the movie is on Elans.

having been a skier from the school of pick up the inside ski it drives me nuts watching that clip, don't see small carves, don't see the uphill ski in the air, see the downhill ski losing contact with the snow because the inside (uphill) ski is making to much contact, turns are washed out, skier is out of balance and not really in control

I think the skier in jonsen to get on an alpint board

hope I opened a whopass can of worms :cool:

Sure you did ;) Exactelly the same can that opened on Epicski forums when someone posted the same video.

For sure it's not "by the book" skiing, just as EC is not "by the book" snowboarding. But, she's certainly having tons of fun and doing something that 99% of skiers do not know how, or can not do. It is done just for fun, not as a race or all-mountain ski technique.

I have to see yet a skier doing an EC with inner ski lifted up. She seems to be in control as much as one could be while ECing. Don't see much of wash out either - the outer ski loses contact sometimes, but inner one is carving solid all the time. When the weight is 50/50 and you are laid over, and you hit an imperfection in snow that you havn't anticipated, it's inevitable that outer ski would disengage. However, it's almost imposible to lose edge on inner one unless you boot out. It's easy to engage the outer ski again.

Same engage-dissengage of the edge happens even in Swoard guys' videos.

It boils down to liking or not liking whole EC thing.

One is for sure - when you come down the slope on the skis, fully laid-over, the eyes of other skiers (even alpine snowboarders), open wide with disbelief :D

stick to skinny skiin', bullfights on acid

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7A9F5_zk7Q&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7A9F5_zk7Q&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

I had a skwal vid to post, but it was really boring

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xNFPaPor8A&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xNFPaPor8A&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

HA that last video reminds me of many years ago when I used to take my Banshee and my Burton Air to sand mountain. My friends and I would get a ski rope and tow each other around the base of the hill to warm up a also remove any wax then we'd go to the top and ride down. 600' elevation drop. This was back before they actually made sand boards. Oh and I did this for several years with the only board I owned and would just wax it and ride it in the winter. Free base grind! :lol:

Carving?

HA! Reminds me of something I have seen almost 15 years ago on the long sandy beaches of Durban, South Africa. Place is well known for good winds too, so the guys would take smallish kites and short plastic skis and kite-ski the beach.

• 1 month later...
I have tried to Embed the You-Tube videos like Willywhit did above. It doesn't seem to load when refreshed. Which function do you use to get these to work properly? Cut n Paste the link in HTML ? PHP? CODE?

Thanks in advance. Bryan

just take all the code in the "embed" line and paste it into the forum. Are you using firefox? Sometimes it doesn't load up in firefox but does in IE.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh4N5SA8zxM&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh4N5SA8zxM&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

• 4 weeks later...

I first saw this about a year ago and loved it then. Still think it looks like fun. I am not claiming to get anywhere near as low as this, but it is a lot of fun to try.

I generally spend my am on the board, then switch up to my skis for pm. i have played around with it and tried to get better outside ski engagement by adding just a bit of hip rotation by retracting the inside ski, opening the inside leg, and driving my outside hand into my outside thigh. Still working on the blend but it's comming along.

Also worked hard on eliminating the rise between turns while maintaining as centered of a stance as I can, but fresh legs are a must. This past weekend my knees started to feel tired by 330 and called it a day before it was too late.