Note to New Members ×

purchasing habits

ncermak

Would you buy accesories at a store that carried alpine gear?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy accesories at a store that carried alpine gear?

• Yes, I would be more likely to give that shop business...regardless
    • Alpine, Smalpine...It wouldn't matter, I shop solely on price
    • If the price was comparable, I would reward their dedication to alpine

I voted "regardless" but I meant to go with the "comparable priced". However sometimes it's just stupid to pay through the nose on principle.

Having seen my local Windsurfing shop (Windsurfing industry is a similar niche to Alpine Boarding) shut down for economic reasons I suppose it hasn't yet made an impact on me yet. It's nice to have a local brick and mortar joint to get your have-to's when you need them. You know the guys, gals, ride or sail with them...support them. Internet sales are all to easy now to just save a buck or two. The only problem is invariably the one item you desire will not be at the store and you'll have to order it through the store or online. I've ordered through stores and will go that route if I can find what I need at prices I can afford. I will admit I am a very bargain oriented shopper. But saving a few clams to pay to have item shipped doesn't make sense.

The internet's great for finding what you want, when you want. I think the best thing is for the brick and mortar's to realize in order to compete unless they offer services you can't on the internet (tunes, personal consultation by people who actually know what they are talking about) then it would be wise to sell on the internet too. Some may think it's "selling out" but the way I see it, the internet isn't going anywhere...so change or get left behind.

There aren't any local Alpine retailers in the Bay Area that I know of. If there were, I'd justify a 30min drive to support them. I also probably wouldn't have bought my boots online through Ebay from RJ, my bindings off Dan the UPZ man's website, my BTS from Bomber's site (assuming the local store carried them), or my new used board from a fellow BOL'er. But hey we all do what we can to survive, consumers and store owners alike.

J

I'd make a shop that carries alpine gear my first stop whren purchasing anything they carry - down to smal litems like socks and Camelbak bite valves. If they stocked boots I'd certainly buy them there. (mmmm.... try on before you buy....) If they stocked F2 bindings, which is what my wife uses, she'd buy them there. However I doubt anything would stop me from buying TD2, Coiler, Donek, Prior, Madd direct from the manufacturer.

One reason I do not buy local if I can avoid it is the damn 9% sales tax here in WA state.. shipping charges if any are small in comparision.

Way to go C5 Golfer. Why pay any tax at all? Of all the taxes paid by Americans, the state tax is the most important because it is more closer to home. Shopping locally, directly affects your local economy without getting into economics and trade deficits or surpluses.

Do you know anyone that works for the state of Washington or does any member of your extended family works for the state? Then, you are not willing to support them. As you know, the state tax is approved by the citizenry and should be paid to support services offered by the state to it citizens.

Hopefully, the move to introduce sales tax to all internet sales in the continental US may change your position. On the other hand, should the Walmart mentality prevails then we are all doomed.

Way to go C5 Golfer. Why pay any tax at all? Of all the taxes paid by Americans, the state tax is the most important because it is more closer to home. Shopping locally, directly affects your local economy without getting into economics and trade deficits or surpluses.

Do you know anyone that works for the state of Washington or does any member of your extended family works for the state? Then, you are not willing to support them. As you know, the state tax is approved by the citizenry and should be paid to support services offered by the state to it citizens.

Hopefully, the move to introduce sales tax to all internet sales in the continental US may change your position. On the other hand, should the Walmart mentality prevails then we are all doomed.

I see your point but also on the other side of the coin.. WA state has one of the highest gas taxes in the US, high property tax and over one BILLION in excess dollars in the treasury. How many other states can claim that much $$$ in the black??

I see your point but also on the other side of the coin.. WA state has one of the highest gas taxes in the US, high property tax and over one BILLION in excess dollars in the treasury. How many other states can claim that much $$$ in the black??

But... but.. doesn't WA also have no state income tax? At least you get to earn interest or invest that 9% between the time you earn it and the time you spend it. It's no all bad. I may not pay sales tax in Oregon, but the state takes about the same amount as income tax the second I earn it.

But... but.. doesn't WA also have no state income tax? At least you get to earn interest or invest that 9% between the time you earn it and the time you spend it. It's no all bad. I may not pay sales tax in Oregon, but the state takes about the same amount as income tax the second I earn it.

:) :) But But Mike --- don't you pay your income taxes at the end of the year? Does not Oregon and any other FEd or State income tax witholding works on a Exemption method where you dictate how much you have taken out each payday. Is it not better to pay $$ in the month of April than get all those $$ back as a refund check????

You know, this is a loaded question. I mean, who is going to say "Yeah, I'm a cheap SOB, I'd buy from anybody for a couple of bucks" in public? And that's what "shop solely on price" kinda says. No wonder it's only got 3% right now. It's much easier to say "Yeah, I support alpine snowboarding" and vote something else, even if it might not be true when you punch "purchase now?"