Note to New Members ×

Snow Smmit bound

AaronG

Planning on heading to Summit on Thursday, if anyone is interested in joning me let me know via email or this site. I have to pick up my pass for the new year.

Yipee!! :) :) The Santa Ana winds blew over Thanksgiving and the local resorts were and are still currently making lots of snow!! 1st day of the year, I am stoked!!!

Frenchy, I haven't made it up yet but looking at the temps at Summit in the evenings it is 50 degrees at night on the mtn. The inversion is crazy up there, it is 25 degrees at the base of Summit and 50 degrees at the top. Until the inversion ceases they aren't able to make snow and I would think the snow that is there is pretty darn slushy.

The only BOL member to make it up there that Iknow of is gdbytyler, he was there on Sunday and said the conditions were good. That was right after the storm and the temps haven't started warming then.

I am hoping to make trip on Thursday to see how it is, I will post a report if I go.

Alright, I'll finally post a first-hand report.

Snow Summit was actually pretty good Sunday morning. I got on the snow about 8:30am.

Only 1 chair was open, servicing Miracle Mile and Summit Run. Conditions were very carvable and light crowd until about 10:30am. Some death cookies at the lower part of Summit Run, but not too bad.

I rode my Madd 158 until about 11:30am. Snow had softened up a bit (but not slushy) by then and got crowded (about a 10-15min lift line).

I rode my soft setup in the afternoon (RadAir Reto Lamm 158? and flow bindings).

No jumps were setup at the time at Snow Summit. All the freestyle stuff was at Bear.

Good coverage in the middle part of the run. Stay away from the edges. I saw a skier hit something hard at the side of the run, his skiis stuck and released, and he went head over heels about 4 times. Knocked out and limp after the first flip. Carted away on the tobaggan.

Hi everyone

I'm going up Tuesday. I'll be the one with the old Raichle Snowboarder boots,

Maybe the only one with hardboots! With the cold temps in the mountains the snow may stay good this week. I heard it rained a bit at MH yesterday.

Let us know what Monday is like.

Tomorrow looks like it'll be an awesome carving day. I was up at summit today (to hopefully get my season pass rolled over for next year), and it was covered with around 8 inches of powder. It should look good when it gets packed and a bit hardened up tomorrow.

The drive was hell. I ended up spending around 7.5 hours driving up and back to my place (normally takes around 3.5 round trip - 4 max)...

I was there on Sunday and the snow was pretty good. Traffic was horrendous. I left OC at 7am and didn't get onto the lift until 1:30pm! It was my first time hard booting too and I must say it was a painful experience. I will persist :biggthump

First time on hard boots, heh? Congratulations. I started snowboarding when only Koflach had these suped up mountaineering boots.(1987).

Anyways, I trust your judgment when it comes to the snow quality. It will be my first day of the season. Mammoth looks good too, but I am not planning to drive that long.

If you really wish to up your game it is fun to ride with peeps that can give you good pointers on technique. Trust me, there is always something new to try.

Oh and BTW carpool anyone? Coming out of Chatsworth(Northern part of the Valley)

Rolf

Just got back from Summit. It was very good conditions. The coard was awesome today. Very carveable. We actually had 4 hardbooters on the hill today. Started out at about 19 degrees and no wind at 8:30. Warmed up to around 30 by 12:30. Chair 7 also opened today. Watch out for the death cookies on the west side of the run in the shade. The far east side of chair 7 looks like it will be open soon also. They are blowing lots of snow over there today. But watch out for a hugh patch of ice right in the middle of that run just east of the chair line. I would imagine if temps don't get too warm, Summit will be very fun for at least a few more days. I will be going back up on Wednesday and maybe Friday if it stays cool.

And by today the roads were in very good shape. Cal trans is doing a great job on them. Another day or two of sun and they will probably be dry all the way to the resort. No traffic problems today.