Note to New Members ×

Please help me to ride

Bobby Buggs

Ok you innovators I need your help. As I posted a few weeks ago I have some nerve damage from a back disc op 2 years ago. This has caused some significant muscle atrophy in my lower right leg. Basically I have no meat on the lateral part of my tib-fib right down to my foot. I was wondering why my Ankle was killing me at SES last season.

I tried on my boot and flexed it forward and Man it was killing me just above my ankle, digging in between the tib and the fib because there is only bone there now.

I’m thinking if I could come up with some kind of pad that would emulate some of the lost mass, I could secure to that area and wear it inside the boot it my allowing me to ride.

Don’t know if anyone has done this or needed to but I figured if it was done before you guys would know about it.

Any help would really be appreciated

I wear those shintronics (size small) for the third season now. I only wear them in hardboots the first two days of my six days winterholiday. They lessen the pressure on your ankles and lower shins. You wear them for about 50% in your boots and 50% above. The other thing is that your have more control over your boots and board. It seems like the pressure is more and better divided over your whole shins than without. The pressure on your ankles and lower shins will lessen. I noticed also that I had more control because I felt that my overall strength in my whole legs were better used.

In the beginning they feel like **** (too tight), but later on when you get warmed up on the slopes, they feel much better. But fact is that you will need strength in your ankles. So may be it will help Bobby partially.

A friend of my had another experience. I had a friend who broke his lower fibula just above his ankle. They had to put some screws in. The first year he couldn't ski because he felt the screws through his skin at his boots (too painfull). The second year without the screws he had almost no muscles. So he was exhausted after one hour of skiing. But had some fun by sitting in the sun and drinking coffee and enjoyin the beautiful mountainviews. He managed to ski one or two hours a day.

I hope Bobby will find a solution.

Hans, thanks for your thoughts. I like the concept of the Shintronic but my only concern is I dont need them on the upper part of the shin but more closer to or just above the ankle. I may buy them and use them improperly according to the manufacturers instruction or modify them for my needs.

If there are any other ideas from the brain trust here I am open to them.

I just want to be able to ride :(

Hans do you have a small leg?

Hans do you have a small leg?

You just have to measure around your calfs/shins. In the former days when I did sport six to seven days a week I had ballooncalfs but now not anymore.

I don't think they are gonna work for you. If you put the shintronics just above your angles, the shintronics will push even more pressure on your ankles (just because there is less space there in your boots you will encounter more pressure or you have to buy bigger boots). Or do you have more room there now your feet/leg is smaller?? Then it probably makes sence.

If you want to use them for this, just go to a divingshop and buy yourself a piece of neoprene and stitch/make in it every form you want (shintronics are also made from this stuff).