Note to New Members ×

Why no super G?

DiveBomber

There's one every year in Tahoe. Boarders can enter. Its a bit more than the normal $20 race fee because it includes a full day of practice with instruction (from skiers who are blown away by boarders ripping through the course). I can't make it this year, but its fun. If you can make it out to Tahoe, you'll enjoy it.

Link Here - That's currently last year's schedule, but this year's should go up soon. The SG is March 1-2 at Northstar. It has always been run on a trail called Challenger on the back side. Its the groomer far skier's left on that side of the hill. The start is in the trees near the top of the run, there's a brief flattish part then it breaks over to a steep pitch for 3-4 gates before a long flat straight that you just have to try to carry speed into and then tuck. The flat ends with a hard right turn to a blind breakover/turn/jump, down 1-2 steep gates then a short flat before the finish. Top skier's are clocking 69mph at the bottom of the first pitch.

biglines_72738.jpg

the Super G has been deemed too dangerous for snowboarding.

I saw Adam Hostetter get walloped in a Super G at Sugarbush 10 years ago. The pitch he crashed on was crazy, going that fast :eek: .

Not sure what happened but I know he broke bones and left in an ambulance.

Never forget it, Fawcett was there and I turned 30 that weekend.

Super G speed is no joke

yeah, bring a Burner 197 :freak3:

I saw Adam Hostetter get walloped in a Super G at Sugarbush 10 years ago. The pitch he crashed on was crazy, going that fast :eek: .

Not sure what happened but I know he broke bones and left in an ambulance.

Never forget it, Fawcett was there and I turned 30 that weekend.

Super G speed is no joke

yeah, bring a Burner 197 :freak3:

That was a sick event, But still one of the mellower stops for super G

thoose where the days when we all traveled with a board bigger then 200.

I miss the Super G stops.... mmmmmmmmmmmmm FAVORITE...Drooll

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I'm convinced that as far as FIS events go they are dead set against any events that make snowboarding look fast, fluid or exciting.

Yes, I am one of the people who feels the parallel format is killing alpine.

As far as non-FIS events go there are a few events you can enter but most of these are not ideal because they are ski events that are open to the public.

I'd love to see a return of high speed events in snowboarding but I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Write Jake Burton Carpenter a letter demanding a return of super G at the US open :biggthump

Man, that was such a sick race to watch. I used to live for the last week of march every year when the Open still had a soul

straight chillin' in tha 802

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL7uW4TYqbs&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GL7uW4TYqbs&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>