Note to New Members ×

Christmas week at Altitude - Best options?

Algunderfoot

Dear forumites, (Fin and Michelle, please feel free to chime in)

Pulled the boat yesterday, and now gearing up for the seasons on hand. Fe and I are looking to spend 8-9 days riding over Cristmas - New Years, but as always we prefer not to drop several grand on the expierience. Looking to Colorado, all frequent flyers seats are gone, and DIA car rentals are obscene, so we are considering driving. Local mobility is key as I like to follow the snow and not the crowds, which brings me to my main concerns. I would expect the front range to be very busy this week, and I don't deal well with lines (or CA. transplants), do any of you locals have some thoughts or recomendations on this?

I am also considering Washington, as last year they had more snow this time of year, and I may get us to Seatac free on Midwest Airlines.

Other areas I have considered are Montana, New Mexico, Wyoming.

We have spent some time in Oregon just last spring, will be in California most of January, Aspen for the SES, and Canada unfortunately, won't let me in, as driving too fast makes me a criminal there.

All thoughts and rants are welcome.

Thanx!

Al

I am also considering Washington, as last year they had more snow this time of year, and I may get us to Seatac free on Midwest Airlines.

Thanx!

Al

It can be a little iffy to snowboard Washington State in Dec -- some times we have lots a snow and sometimes it is rainy. Good thing is if you are in Seattle you can stay around here and go where snow is -- Crystal Mt or Baker Mt or drive south to Mt Hood or Go to Whistler for a few days. You have options at least - plus resturants are great here.

I agree with Blue Bird. Xmas week and the 2 weeks after are a zoo in Summit. However, if you hit A-Basin it's not too bad, or Ski Copper and Sunlight (around Leadville and Glenwood springs) you might have luck with the crowds. If you can afford it, check out Aspen. The crowds will be relatively low, and should have great snow. You can stay in Glenwood springs for cheaper accomodations (or Basalt/Carbondale) and just hit the mountains for skiing.

In Summit you can either buy a season pass to Keystone, ABasin, Breck for about $450 or you can buy a 4 day pass to Copper on the front range for pretty cheap $99 or so. However, there are deadlines for all sales so I would check the web sites. I don't know of any discounted tickets in the Aspen Valley and season passes are about $1500??

Best of luck and if you decision takes you to Summit, drop by and say hello.

STAY OUT OF SUMMIT COUNTY!!!!!!! I'm guessing you've never been here for the christmas/new years time frame. it gets INSANE. 23,000+ people at Breck 2 years ago, last year wasnt too horrible because the blizzard shut down the airport. I would wait about 2 weeks until the crowds leave, or just hit up the smaller places, like mentioned before. ski cooper is fun on a powder day

STAY OUT OF SUMMIT COUNTY!!!!!!! I'm guessing you've never been here for the christmas/new years time frame. it gets INSANE. 23,000+ people at Breck 2 years ago, last year wasnt too horrible because the blizzard shut down the airport. I would wait about 2 weeks until the crowds leave, or just hit up the smaller places, like mentioned before. ski cooper is fun on a powder day

And avoid the Northwest....if for no other reason, Laura Palmer's killer is still at large. :lol:

Plan on being there for first chair, and if you can find a hide-a-way run you'll be ok until lunch. Whatever you do, don't go back down to the base area until you are ready for that beer at the end of your day. That's where you'll see the biggest crowds, and you'll wait 20-30 minutes in the lift line (no joke!). If you can stay at the top of the mountain, back bowls, etc on a non-popular run (hint: at copper avoid the pomma - it can get packed) you might survive.

Other areas I have considered are Montana, New Mexico, Wyoming.

I hate to discourage people coming here, but the snow will be terrible in December. Mid January is when things start to open up with Feb. being the best month under normal circumstances. I haven't seen Santa Fe open the upper mountain before early/mid January since I've been here. Not to mention they get a lot of the OK/TX/KS crowd during the holidays. Same with Angel Fire...

You should just head up to Wolf Creek if you want killer early season snow in the CO/NM area. It would be better than fighting the crowds in the Summit County area. It's tucked away enough that most tourists don't flood the place during the holidays, and they consistently have the best yearly snowfall totals in the state of CO.