Note to New Members ×

New personal best speed on my bicycle

C5 Golfer

My previous best speed on my Serotta Legend was 42.7 MPH, tonight I go out with a tailwind going downhill of course and see what my "max" speed reads when I get to the bottom after pedaling as fast as I can. That is Michelins ProRace 2s I am running. I think the Cateye is wrong - there is no way I hit 62 mph - maybe 50. I will not try to beat that. :lurk:

post-53-141842234488_thumb.jpg

Either way that's pretty freakin fast. I think I've hit 30 on my POS mountain bike and I got some major speed wobble at that. Nothin I could really peddle either, that was all gravity. It was achieved going down Devils Peak in Death Valley.

My previous best speed on my Serotta Legend was 42.7 MPH, tonight I go out with a tailwind going downhill of course and see what my "max" speed reads when I get to the bottom after pedaling as fast as I can. That is Michelins ProRace 2s I am running. I think the Cateye is wrong - there is no way I hit 62 mph - maybe 50. I will not try to beat that. :lurk:

LOL, my Cateye has given me funny max speed readings once or twice before too. Once I was on a loaded tour, riding a mountain bike with slicks and a rack, so when I saw a max of 60+ mph at the end of the day, I just laughed and dismissed it immediately.

But anything over 45 is plenty fast for sure - you need one enormous chainring, or a mean downhill.

Any chance you stopped at a stoplight with a sensor to tell it when to change?

I find that I get wacky speeds at certain lights from the loop of wire under the pavement that is used to tell if a car is there. It's establishing a magnetic field. If it's at the right frequency, the sensor detects you're moving, fast, while sitting waiting at a red light, according to your computer. 62.5 mph is 100 km/h. Could that be the limit of the computer?

beth

gone really fast while standing still.

Any chance you stopped at a stoplight with a sensor to tell it when to change?

I find that I get wacky speeds at certain lights from the loop of wire under the pavement that is used to tell if a car is there. It's establishing a magnetic field. If it's at the right frequency, the sensor detects you're moving, fast, while sitting waiting at a red light, according to your computer. 62.5 mph is 100 km/h. Could that be the limit of the computer?

beth

gone really fast while standing still.

Any thing is possible since I do not believe the reading myself..RE: the stop light I do not think so since i stopped in an area that does not have a light, just a sign. I believe the computer had a "Windows Moment" and puked :barf:

My bike speedometer once told me my max speed was something over 150 mph - riding in the rain no less!

I have a wired speedometer with cadence. Rain got between the computer unit and its bracket. The computer was adding the cadence signal to the speed signal. My cadence was also higher than normal.

My Shimano Flight Deck bike computer once showed me hitting 53 on a steep downhill stretch where I had my body as low as I could.

Last February, I was clocked at 55 mph on my Volkl RT board. It was in Davos and they had a course set up with no gates, start wand, or finish line. About 2/3 the way down you passed by two sensors that were 10 meters apart and they flashed your speed on a display at the finish line. It probably wasn't the smartest thing for a 60 year to do but I couldn't resist trying it. It's part of a short video from the trip.

So I went out and got one of those hot-wheels radar guns... Yeah, it's a toy, but come on, for 20 bucks... Plus the looks you get from people in the lift line... :D It's not the most precise instrument, but I've seen 38 on my soft board. That was me holding the gun and shooting a lift tower as I headed towards it, since my brother can't seem to figure out how to catch me goin more than 3 mph... Checking on a real radar gun would be awesome.

Speed is our friend, until you hit the roadway or a tree off the trail.

This reminded me of when I use to cycle a great deal in college. One of the oddest things I ever saw while riding was doing a downhill with the guy I rode with. It was about a 55 MPH straight downhill in a rural farm area. At top speed, He was ahead of me about 25 feet and a rabbit darted in front of him with no time to react. His front tire hit the rabbit in the midsection and for the most part cut the rabbit in half. We went back and only a small section of skin still held the two pieces together. The poor fella was still alive. being a hunter at that time, I put it out of its misery :smashfrea

Thank fully it wasnt a deer

One of the odest things I have ever witnessed.

On another note, I hit 46 MPH +/- on my downhill skateboard two days ago. My chase vehicle clocked me. Goal of 60 plus eventually. Got some speed wobbles at the bottom, but good shot of adrenalin for the day.

Happy downhilling

On another note, I hit 46 MPH +/- on my downhill skateboard two days ago. My chase vehicle clocked me. Goal of 60 plus eventually. Got some speed wobbles at the bottom, but good shot of adrenalin for the day.

Happy downhilling

That's fast! In the summer of 1965 I was home from college and decided to tackle a steep downhill street in our housing development in Suitland, MD. There was a fairly sharp turn at the bottom but I negotiated the turn successfully. Remember this was in the days of skateboards with hard clay wheels. It was such a rush that I had to try it again. This time I didn't make the turn and landed with my hand outstretched on the pavement. It removed more skin from the palm than you can imagine. Dad drove me to the emergency room at

Andrews AFB where I was treated. I don't think I got back on a skateboard for another ten years.

If you are stopped and the magnet is lined up with the sensor, any small movement or vibration is picked up as a wheel turn. The speedometer only calculates speed by dividing the wheel circonference by the interval between wheel turns.

So I went for a ride today. There is a pretty good downhill near the end of the ride. At about the fastest point, I looked at my computer and it read about 63 km/h. But a few minutes later when I was on a flat stretch, I looked again and this is what I saw... (minus the cat - she's really nosy).

I wonder if it's something with this particular computer.

Derek

PS - There's no way I got anywhere near 100 km/hr. To most I've ever hit was 87 and that was nuts.

post-357-141842234799_thumb.jpg

I came off at 50k yesterday, in a landscape that should be described as "the Moon".

This was a personal "best" for me.

Special thanks to Time for the slipped pedal. I should send them my TLD helmet for a re-paint.

If you hit your helmet at that speed you should just go get a new one.

54mph is my best on fat tires, hardtail stump jumper.

I now ride a Specialized Enduro pro carbon, http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22002 29.1 lbs with the pedals, air lock tubes and pump. I do not want to put my computer on it 'cause it may only scare me into slowing down.

I do not remember the top speed on my cross bike but have passed cars in the corners going down Bogus Basin Road in the summer. I had one jetta use a slow turn out after a while cause he could not lose me.

I also have some scars and one broken helmet from some not so successfull desents.

The scratches in thed helm are from gliding over the ground, upside-down.

My friend (and old race coach) Stu, was right behind me.

He was surprised to see the damage, as he thought I really didn't hit my head at all.

50k seems pretty slow, but Kicking Horse resort is an unforgiving place.

The only thing that made me think going like that was ok was my Santa Cruz V10.

i just placed 2nd in an illegal road bike race in portland maine... me and the leader averaged about 30 mph, max 44 mph... 60 mph seems pretty hard with out some intense aero positioning... the land speed on a bike is over 150 mph

(with the help of drafting)

http://www.canosoarus.com/08LSRbicycle/LSR%20Bike01.htm

But this way maybe more fun.. :biggthump

http://www.arcademare.com/play-8649-Rocket_Bicycle_150_MPH_Top_Speed.html