Note to New Members ×

Wheel Size

Chubz

Call me stupid, but I can only theorize why wheels are different sizes, but why are they? I know the smaller wheel has more rpm over the same distance compared to a larger wheel, but can you please tell me what it really does?

I am shopping for some other gumballs, but postering to by a different size , just to see how they ride different. I have only ever been on old school kryptonics from the early 80's, followed by 20 years away from skating, now into longboarding and on Gumball 76 mm 78a now.

Looking to try some different stuff out and looking for some heads up from some opinions

Thanks for any input.

PLease refrain from any snide remarks. :D

Greg

wheel things to think about

Cores,a soft wheel with an air core will ride harder (read less smooth) than it is. conversely a big all thane wheels rides softer even with a harder thane. Wheels over 80mm need lots of space to get up to speed. Wider wheels feel softer than narrower ones at a given duro. There is no such thing as 101a Durometer. Pink 77a's feel harder than Retro Red 78a's and they wear better

Now I see, roger that on different size gummies in that I dont see any. I wasnt noticing different wheel names.

I have in mind what I want for sliding set up and looking for a true DH setup, like the fly wheels, wouldnt want them seizing up doing 50.

All good input, just so hard to decide with the amount of different wheels out there.

Thanks

I burnt up a krypto it delammed and flew off the core. I was on a luge so it wasn't a disaster but it would have been ugly if I had been standing:eek: be careful which cored wheels you pick for speed. ixnay on the kryptos 80mm or otherwise:biggthump

you just shim up the trucks with riser plates sized accordingly. wedged risers will increase or decrease the turnability a given truck, by changing the relative angle of the truck base plate, depending on wether you mount them angled in or angled out.:biggthump

I don't like using too many risers, I like to ride as low as possible so for the most part I'm limited to around 70mm wheels max for most of my boards with a bunch using 60mm wheels. Exceptions to this are either cut outs or pin shaped decks which naturally have better wheel clearance...Wheelbite is brutal BTW getting it at highspeed will chuck you in much the same manner as a highside on a motorcycle :eek:

BTW wedges change the pivot angle as it relates to the kingpin and the axel not the baseplate....

one exception to the riser rule for me is for slalom, I have two Khiro shock wedges in the front and one shock wedge (to neutral on the kick) a 5/16" on the back to bring the board parallel to the ground. My pump/GS board is wedged/dewedged one Khiro shock wedge front and rear.

• 4 weeks later...

Word from the Maryhill Festival of speed is that over 90% of the racers were on Lime Big Zig's. Mind you this wheel is a mere 75MM and yet so many racers came to the same conclusion that it was the perfect wheel for the conditions. I rolled against a set last weekend and can attest to the smoothness but the urethane is just one aspect of the wheel I'm more surprised that smaller wheels were so popular on what is thought of as a slower course where one would think that a bigger faster wheel would be more popular

What are using for trucks???? Some trucks are more prone to wheelbite than others. I can't run an Indy 215 on the front of my 60" because of wheelbite but it handles a Randal180 (same size) with no problems. However I agree there is a limit to how big a wheel you can run for a given board before requiring silly amount of riser