Note to New Members ×

To retire or not - that is the question!

C5 Golfer

We are closing down the little satellite office where I work and we are all out of a job come July 13th which is a Friday the 13th - unlucky day. So the big question arises – Crystal Mountain has a season pass for about $700 and is the best place to go in Washington State and I have a small fee I pay each month to Echo Falls Club to play unlimited golf 24 7. I am pushing 61 yr old and I think this is the time to call it quits and go retired. Maybe work a few contract engineering jobs here and there next year but it looks like my weekends just became a 7 day a week play days forever. :biggthump

Of course you retire. What's wrong with you :freak3: even asking that question? After years of dodging the layoff bullet, I got involuntarily retired just before Christmas at 59 and a half. I don't miss work one bit. I don't think you will either :biggthump

edit: I just remembered. The best part about being retired is you can snowboard on weekdays and sleep in on the weekends when it's too crowded to enjoy yourself fully on the slopes.

- Dave

You seem like someone who has a number of passions in life which IMO make you a perfect canidate for (what is considered in these times), an early retirement. If your sure you can swing it financially, and your work is not your #1 passion, go for it! :biggthump

whatz ur engineering specialty? I know a guy who might have room for just such an arrangement here and you could hit the Big MTN while you were in town:biggthump

Dr D -- are really suggesting I go back to work? :argue:

My specialty is machine design - small mechanism - anything that moves , rotates, slides, pick n place, electronic packaging, or anything that has a motor.

Dr D -- additionally -- I may be doing a trip to Big Mountain this coming season just do not know what month will fit in yet. How long do you think the trip is in a car from Seattle?

You guys have big fish there?

Here is my Sturgeon a few years ago.

post-53-141842233335_thumb.jpg

My specialty is machine design - small mechanism - anything that moves , rotates, slides, pick n place, electronic packaging, or anything that has a motor.

You remind me of a guy at work here. He's gotta be in his mid-60s and he's still river and sea kayaking and he's got a huge motorhome that he goes all over with and he's got nice cars and stuff. He just in general still acts like he's 20 or somethin.

I think you should leave a job opening for some up and coming young engineer. I don't know about where you're from, but around here, I was lucky to get an engineering job. It's been pretty tough for engineering graduates.

Either way, I'm sure you're gonna enjoy your time. Good luck.

I too got laid off a year ago and I'm turning 61 in October. I opted to form an eCommerce company and most of my time is devoted to running an online store for a sporting goods retailer (most of our high end ski gear is now at 50% off. I'll be slashing our snowboard gear prices early next week but we only carry softboot setups). I also go to folks' homes to help them with computer problems. This arrangement has worked well as it allows me a very flexible schedule. Yesterday, a friend had to miss her golf league and I was able to sub on short notice. BTW, She didn't tell me I would be giving up 12 strokes to my opponent in a nine hole match. We halved.

I was able to afford to work on this reduced basis because my my wife (age 54) was still working. Unfortunately the legal services organization she worked for eliminated the jobs of all three managing attorneys in January. She's in the job market now. It would be nice to fully retire to pursue hobbies and take a lot of classes - piano, German, flying, etc. but neither of us has a pension plan. Although our 401(k)s and IRAs have grown nicely in the past ten years, there's still not enough to retire full time.

If you can handle it, do it!

Dr D -- are really suggesting I go back to work? :argue:

Small company with first patent license on a new aircraft design. They are currently building a 1/4 scale prototype. Lots of CAD work and problemsolving etc. Very cool stuff. They also happen to be owned by a local snowboard guru:cool:

You'd have a good time chatting with him anyway:biggthump

tell me I would be giving up 12 strokes to my opponent in a nine hole match. We halved.

I was able to afford to work on this reduced basis because my my wife (age 54) was still working. Unfortunately the legal services organization she worked for eliminated the jobs of all three managing attorneys in January. She's in the job market now. It would be nice to fully retire to pursue hobbies and take a lot of classes - piano, German, flying, etc. but neither of us has a pension plan. Although our 401(k)s and IRAs have grown nicely in the past ten years, there's still not enough to retire full time.

If you can handle it, do it!

Congrats on the match. I love match play - the only way to play golf. I am the Match Play Chair at our Club and I am currently running 4 divisions of MP this summer with the finals in Sept.

I am same as you with regard to No pension. My 401(k) and my own savings needs to get me thru the next 30 or so years. Luckly I have very few bills and no debt except for a house mortgage.

Dr D -- additionally -- I may be doing a trip to Big Mountain this coming season just do not know what month will fit in yet. How long do you think the trip is in a car from Seattle?

ITs a 3 hr drive to spokane and 6-7 to the coast depending on where you are going or coming from. Its a good C5 run:biggthump Flathead is 650 feet deep and the largest surface area lake west of the mississippi. we have lake trout that are monsters and lots of trout fishing in the smaller lakes etc. The macks are world class. I do know a good fishing guide for macks. We also have huge pike in the river sloughs and some of the lakes.

Congrats on the match. I love match play - the only way to play golf. I am the Match Play Chair at our Club and I am currently running 4 divisions of MP this summer with the finals in Sept.

I am same as you with regard to No pension. My 401(k) and my own savings needs to get me thru the next 30 or so years. Luckly I have very few bills and no debt except for a house mortgage.

Like you, I love match play. I had won our club's championship a couple of times at stroke play but had been shut out of the President's Cup (our match play championship). The format was for the low 15 qualifiers plus returning champ to play at 100% HC. In 1995's final, I remember walking to the 13th tee giving up ten strokes in the final six holes. I took him to the 18th but lost it there. The following year I finally captured the title but had to give up 72 strokes in 72 holes.

Regarding the Big Mountain area, it's beautiful! My wife and I have been considering retiring out there and took an exploratory trip 18 months ago. We toured Bozeman, Missoula, Kalispell/Whitefish, and Sandpoint, ID. Sandpoint was my favorite but all were nice.

With both of us getting laid off, we've had to shelve moving plans for a while.

Holy ****!! Thats a big fish. I thought the fish here in Alaska were big.........

Sorry to go off topic. Where did you catch that? Salt or Fresh water? You should just retire and enjoy the rest of your life. Like it was said before do what your passions lead you to do. :biggthump

Holy ****!! Thats a big fish. I thought the fish here in Alaska were big.........

Sorry to go off topic. Where did you catch that? Salt or Fresh water? You should just retire and enjoy the rest of your life. Like it was said before do what your passions lead you to do. :biggthump

That was caught in the Columbia River - so fresh water. We caught 8 of those big boys that day. The three of us were damn tired - arms hurt. Catch and release only BTW since the big one are breeders. For bait used a 5 lb Shad with a hook the size of your hand.

Like you, I love match play. I had won our club's championship a couple of times at stroke play but had been shut out of the President's Cup (our match play championship). The format was for the low 15 qualifiers plus returning champ to play at 100% HC. In 1995's final, I remember walking to the 13th tee giving up ten strokes in the final six holes. I took him to the 18th but lost it there. The following year I finally captured the title but had to give up 72 strokes in 72 holes.

Regarding the Big Mountain area, it's beautiful! My wife and I have been considering retiring out there and took an exploratory trip 18 months ago. We toured Bozeman, Missoula, Kalispell/Whitefish, and Sandpoint, ID. Sandpoint was my favorite but all were nice.

With both of us getting laid off, we've had to shelve moving plans for a while.

I won 1st place the last 2 years in a row in our Gross Division MP 7 handicap or higher - no strokes given play straight up. I was 3 down with 3 to go and birdied the last three holes to win on Hole 19 (Hole1) with a par. I was mentally drained for days but it felt real good. So anyway this year several friends are gunning for me - can't think of a better time to lose a job.

:biggthump

My girlfriend and I are off to Montana tomorrow -- road trip with biking , hiking and golfing around Yellowstone for a week. :lurk:

Good luck with a finding a new job in the family Pat

I won 1st place the last 2 years in a row in our Gross Division MP 7 handicap or higher - no strokes given play straight up. I was 3 down with 3 to go and birdied the last three holes to win on Hole 19 (Hole1) with a par. I was mentally drained for days but it felt real good. So anyway this year several friends are gunning for me - can't think of a better time to lose a job.

:biggthump

My girlfriend and I are off to Montana tomorrow -- road trip with biking , hiking and golfing around Yellowstone for a week. :lurk:

Good luck with a finding a new job in the family Pat

Let us know how the trip to Montana went.

Three birdies in row to win?? That must have really demoralized your opponent.

We must be close to the same age. I turn 61 on October 25th. How about you?

You two guys are really OLD :cool: . I just turned 60 in May. As for birdies, no golf for me, but with my dog and my shotgun, I do get a few in the fall.

Now that I'm retired and have a house closer to ski areas, I expect to ride at least one day this season for each year of my age.

- Dave

Montana was great -except when we left -- forest fire near West Yellowstone caused ugly highway visibility and breathing but thank god it did not last long traveling towards Bozeman. Lots a good food and red wine. wonderful cabin in Idaho. Did the Park visit and saw lots a animals plus 1 griz and 1 black bear.

Then golfed Big Sky with my younger brother. I won the first 18 match and he won the second 18 match.. I told him the first one is the only that counted. Eagled hole 11 ( I think it was 11) Par 5, on in 2 sunk a 6 foot putt. He was pissed cuz he birdied it and still couldn't win the box. We had a good laugh on that one.

I turn 61 in Jan. - Celebrating in Whistler as always.

Re: the demoralizing of my opponent -- we still talk about it being one of the best matches ever played at Echo.