HDTV Help? Panny or Pio?

fishrising

Looking for a 50"ish flat screen. I narrowed it down to:

Pioneer Elite PRO1140HD $2999

Panasonic TH58PX60U $2699

Pioneer PDP5070 $2499

Panasonic TH50PX600U $2199

Panasonic TH50PX60U $1750

What would those of you who have looked at these sets do? Considering price, quality, etc...

768 is fine for me, I do not need 1080p or the premium $ to go with it.

Yes, I have been lurking/searching all the usual forums, avsforum, etc...just looking for some of your opinions...

My buddy runs a high end home theatre company. Design, installation, consulting, etc.

I asked him the same question you just asked and he answered, without hesitation, "Sharp Aquos LC52D92". Better than Pioneer Elite which used to be his go-to brand. Make sure it's the D92 and not the D62.

I take delivery on Friday. I can give you a report over the weekend. Can't wait to watch the TPC tournament in HD.

skategoat: What's wrong with the D62U?

I'm currently looking at the 37" GP1U, which is basically a D62U with a few more inputs (notably DVI) and lower signal delay. Too bad it's $2k for a 37" 1080p :(

I actually found at Costco the Sharp Aquos LC60C52U for $2999.

The problem I have with the D92 is that it's over $3k. Best Buy has athe D82 for around $4k, so I assume the D92 is more.

Anyway, $3k is my max, maybe a few hundred over, but not thousands over. I need a minimum of 50", and I want plasma or LCD, no rear-projections, etc...

Skategoat, please report on the new set...

ursle, I'd be highly skeptical of Samsung's contrast ratio claim. There is "native contrast ratio" and "dynamic contrast ratio". I have no idea what is meant by dynamic but I do know that the number there is often 3x the number given for native.

Took delivery a couple days early. This thing blows me away. There is direct sunlight on it when I took this photo. No reflection. Depth of the colour is amazing. I can't wait to get Blu-Ray or HD-DVD for this. Standard DVDs are a waste on this TV.

post-199-141842232647_thumb.jpg

Congrats! I went looking for a Sharp Aquos LC52D92 last night in the local shops, BestBuy, CC, etc... and couldn't find one. Best I could find was an 82u. But I did see the Pioneer PRO1140HD again. It's still at the top of my list. But I want to "see" a D92 before I make my decision. Also the 58" Pana has peeked my interest again. I hate these decisions...

Henry,

Which DVD player are you using? My SONY HD gear is from 2004 and the player in non-HD but does have HDMI or near HD up-step. Using a standard DVD player does not do the set justice.

Did you get HD for your ears too ;-)

Right now, I'm using a POS Daenyx DVD player that I bought from Toys R Us for $39.99. It actually has a better picture than my $1,100 Panasonic that I bought in the mid-90s. Gotta love cheap Chinese labour.

I'm keeping my powder dry until the HD/Blu-ray war shakes out. I have a Xbox 360 connected to my basement TV (Sony Wega rear projection LCD), so HD is the frontrunner right now but I'm not convinced enough to shell out for a standalone player for the Sharp.

I also think computer based media players are the future but the offerings so far have left me unimpressed. I have a couple of Macs in the house so the Apple TV looks promising but I'll wait for the second or third gen.

A little side-story for y'all. The Sharp replaced a 12 year old Panasonic 32" TV. The thing weighs a ton but I have moved it by myself dozens of times. But I must be getting weaker in my old age because I dropped the thing down a flight of stairs. It rolled ejecting dozens of plastic bits along the way. Maybe subconsciously I wanted to drop the thing so I would never have to live that POS again. Thank goodness CRT technology is going the way of the telegram.

Edit: regarding audio. I using the TV speakers. I don't have my family room wired up for home theatre and since the house is open concept, I'm not planning on blasting movies on the new Sharp. It's purely for family TV viewing and we're not that demanding in terms of sound.

You know while you are waiting for the HD format wars to blow over, you might consider a upscaling DVD player. I have been looking at this one for a while: http://reviews.cnet.com/Oppo_DV_970HD/4505-6463_7-32065061.html?tag=txt

It now has a bigger brother (output 1080p) which is supposed to be pretty impressive also. But you can't beat the price for the first Oppo. Getting near HD qualiy might make the wait a little easier. I know that if I just bought a new HD set, I would be desperate to see it at its finest!

Took delivery a couple days early. This thing blows me away. There is direct sunlight on it when I took this photo. No reflection. Depth of the colour is amazing. I can't wait to get Blu-Ray or HD-DVD for this. Standard DVDs are a waste on this TV.
Where'd you get yours? The prices in Futureshop are pretty much double the US web prices on Sharp.

Good alternative for "real" HD stuff is getting one of new Toshiba HD-DVD palyers, burn HD material on standard DVD disks on HD format, and to get full enjoyment of HD quality films, only draw back is just 30+ minutes per disk.

Here is link to carving on HD-like quality, (this is 90meg trailer only), full film is out in June:

www.flegmatic-carving.com/films/aotn_hi.wmv