Note to New Members ×

Deeluxe thermo liners without insoles?

bjordnolf

I would think a high arch would make them more imperative....where do the boots get too tight? Insoles can have wide variations in thickness at the ball of your foot, the midfoot, and the heel. You might be able to find a supportive insole that's thin in the place you need it.

Surefoot blues are thin all over.

Aline footbeds, according to the rep (mine are coming this week) are thicker in the midfoot than superfeet, but smaller in the heel and possibly at the toes. I think orthotic and custom insole makers have some thin options available.

Do a search for 'insole.' There's not quite consensus on this issue- some claim that they molded the liners without insoles and feel great, others claim that if you don't have an insole, you are WRONG and your foot is UNSUPPORTED and you are SACRIFICING PERFORMANCE.

Have you molded already? Unless the shell is way too tight, you should be able to, even with insoles, get the liner to compress at the top.

I rode for years in my burton megaflex boots (!!) without insoles. My feed did not fall off, and I rode fairly comforably.

I recently bought a pair of Head Stratos Pros and It was recommended that I get some custom insoles made to shorten my foot length and improve boot fitment (tight fit) ... this made a huge difference. Boot liner material is almost definitely too soft to create proper support.

I would assume that a pair of insoles would not raise the height of your foot, particularly if you explain your predicament to the person making them for you. I think that's the whole point of custom insoles.

I doubt that insoles are really exigent for everyone out there but ... from what I can tell, they sure don't hurt. I'm really glad I bought a pair, they cost $230 or so but were well worth it. I say, if you can afford it, you should get them.

My 2 cents ... but, I'm not a bootfitter.

One thing I noted about insoles is the fact that they do "shorten" your foor in the boot. By properly supporting the instep area your foot is effectively shorter overall because it stops pronation. I had a pair of Switch step-in boots that my toes were in the end of, and were uncomfortable to ride and walk in. I had so much pressure on the balls of my feet it almost reduced me to tears in a few hours. A pair of Superfeet footbeds brought my toes far enough back to eliminate pressure on them, and made it bearable to ride the day in them because the ball of foot pain was almost eliminated.

Is it ok to mold and ride them without insoles? I have some but I have an uber high arch which makes everything way too tight.

thanks

I have the same problems, my feet are somewhat wide and I always have a problem to get into my (hard)boots due to a very high arch. I always buy my hardboots one size bigger than my feet are. My right foot is 26,2cm, my left 25,8cm and I wear size 27,0. I bought some secondhand Raichle AF600 (Suzuka's) without footbeds in it, but with moldable liners. I put my custommade footbeds in it and I couldn't hardly manage to get my lower buckles even closing the first time. This is because the footbeds are raising the arch of my feet a little. I rode them a few hours and the problems went away. I just broke in my liners I think, may be I will put them into the oven this season to get a slightly better fit. Especially to my toes which are pushing against the liner (my toes hurts after a day of riding) on the upside, but the liners/boots fits very well. I can't ride without footbeds because my feet needs the support to board without any cramp/pain during the day. This is due to my flat forefeet, which most of the northeuropean people have.