Note to New Members ×

hey look we made the transworld jibbermonkey magrag

Dr D

I dont think its photo shopped. It gives that illusion because when you initially look at the photo, it gives the impression he is dropping in from above and the body position is odd for that. But he approached from the snow, up onto the face of the rock and is dropping back in. A shadows are accurate and spray of snow. If it is photoshopped, someone has to much time on their hands.

NOT 'shopped.

I remember James describing this shoot with Gallup. If anyone wants to argue the point, I'll get the original from Mark.

By the way... James had metal edges on his "Outland" snowboards (the one in the picture) when Burton, Barfoot and Sims were still using fins. You could actually ride his boards at a resort.

When James won the North American SB Championships at Sunshine Village in 1984-85 (beating Kidwell and various Burton pros like Heingartner, ect) those edges appeared the next year on the big 3's gear. It still took them awhile to loose the stupid fins, though.

No edges, no carving (hardpack, that is).

For you mountainbikers, you may be familiar with the VPP linkage, or Virtual Pivot style of rear suspension.

James invented it on his Outland bikes and the patent for it has since been purchased and used to great effect by such MTB notables as Santa Cruz, who won a few World cups as well as the WC overall on it last season, as well as Intense. The V10 and M3 DH bikes are 2 of the best there are. The world champs bike is also a VPP design, but has a different axle path (Iron Horse / Sam Hill).

James is an absolute genius and since bringing metal edges to snowboarding and the VPP design to MTB has invented a pump with 2 moving parts, that could revolutionize the field.

That company is ODTI, or Outland Design Technologies.

Philw: Ask your boss, Achy about him. If you were from Calgary and didn't start riding through the Snoboard Shop crew back then, you probably got into it through James (like me).

Thanks for the pic. You, like, made my day.