Note to New Members ×

New Ski System Spotted at Jiminy Peak

Pow

I was out carving today at Jiminy Peak when I spotted a couple on a very unique ski system.

http://www.virtualpowder.com/default.asp

They told me their friend had invented this because he didn't feel atheletic enough to ride modern alpine skiis. Turns out, these skiis aren't just for those who outgrew serious training and exercise. Theyre also great for beginners who are trying to learn. Also, the man I was riding with was a mogul coach, and was carving them with his partner (wife?) In the tightest arcs I've ever seen on skiis! He could match my every move I made on my slalom board. I didn't get to see his partner ride as much, but from what I saw she was carving extremely well too. And both of them were having more fun than anyone else on the mountain (well besides me maybe:p ), so experts won't outgrow them from what I saw.

What does this have to do with snowboarding?

After riding with them, they told me to email them at the virtualpowder website about a snowboard system they're developing. They asked if I wanted to help them test it sometime, but I told them that I might be too much of a novice to give them good feedback (although they might be looking for more of a novice rider now that I think of it).

Dave Espi: interested in testing? I told them there was an alpine snowboarder who teaches at Jiminy Peak, and can carve on any board, hard or soft, wayy better than me.

Anybody else interested? Tell me what you think of all this, because I think It's increadible.

The website needs more videos and graphics that show how the system works.

I'm intrigued though. I'd love to see the system work in varying conditions (moguls, powder, ice). If it increases the contact edge, I think it would do wonders on ice.

I need new skiis next season so if he's doing any demos in Ontario, let me know.

They were testing it out today, I think it's still a prototype really so they don't have too many photos or videos. they held great on ice/granular today. They looked just like alpine boarders riding on those.

I tell ya, the guy looked like he was on hockey skates when coming down. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing, but it looks like it would be fun for a few runs, then be too much like riding crazy short slalom skis.