Note to New Members ×

First day of SOFT boot ahead...

Louis

Oh well, it has been almost 10 years since I didnt touch a pair of soft boots...

I bought an Elan Vertigo (168cm) at the beggining of the season and I'll be riding it today..

Im quite nervous, I started on softboots and remember that I fell alot back then ! You have any tips ? Oh and I'd like to carve by the end of the day with my softboot (i still didnt setup the bindings) I might not go with an agressive setup maybe traditional, with a bit of agressive stance (for freeride board)

Anyway ! I AM NERVOUS !! lol

Oh well, it has been almost 10 years since I didnt touch a pair of soft boots...

I bought an Elan Vertigo (172cm) at the beggining of the season and I'll be riding it today..

Im quite nervous, I started on softboots and remember that I fell alot back then ! You have any tips ? Oh and I'd like to carve by the end of the day with my softboot (i still didnt setup the bindings) I might not go with an agressive setup maybe traditional, with a bit of agressive stance (for freeride board)

Anyway ! I AM NERVOUS !! lol

Good man... have find and remember that riding softbooots require more ankle flex/extension and less knee steering. Have fun!

Going back to softies is a wierd feeling... At first it feels like youre just trying to pull the mountain itself up on edge, and it just wont budge! then you get used to the ankle stuff instead of the knee stuff and things will start to click. On softboot gear, you will feel a lot slower. you will also feel less of the snow variations. I always feel much less tired on softboot stuff, though.

I usually switch midday from hardboots on an alpine board to softboots on a freestyle board. The first few runs after the switch, it feels like you boots aren't tight enough and you are riding on a lunch tray (short and wide), but as Pow said, once you remember how to ride softboots and fs/fr boards, it all comes back.

Oh well i guess I would give you guys feedback on my day !

I went to the mountain and stayed there for like 6 hours straight without being tired (WOW!!) on hardboots I push alot more and usually 3 hours straight and Im getting tired..

I really enjoyed going back to softboot, I think it gave me a good feeling (variation) and will help me improve my overall riding !

You get to do movements that you can forget on your race board, I look foward to ride more on both styles to see what I can get from that.

I trained my switch riding alot !! Was very fun, I had the bad habit of looking behind me (like I do when i ride switch in race) it was pretty weird !! But so much easier !

Anyway, i've got to find a way to get those boots tighter it feels like i got nothing around my ankles :P

for more ankle support, theres a boot from deeluxe at hardbooter.com that looks like it'd be good. From my experience, Flow bindings will also give more ankle support than a traditional binding. If you check ebay or the classifieds, you may be able to score an old 3 strap binding, or do some DIY work and make your own third strap. Just a few suggestions for beefing up your softboot setup.

for more ankle support, theres a boot from deeluxe at hardbooter.com that looks like it'd be good. From my experience, Flow bindings will also give more ankle support than a traditional binding. If you check ebay or the classifieds, you may be able to score an old 3 strap binding, or do some DIY work and make your own third strap. Just a few suggestions for beefing up your softboot setup.
I'm pretty sure it's not ankle support that he needs... just a better fitting boot. Do you have narrow ankles with a slim lower calf Louis? If so you are like me and you have always tighten boot just about your ankle a lot or it won't lock your ankle down (and you get heel lift).

For that I suggest getting a pair of Nitro Team boots. I've ridden virtually every boot in the Salomon lineup (Dialogue, Synapse, Malamute, F22) and the are decently narrow, but nothing matches the amount of contour a Nitro liner has around the ankle.

Personally I feel that a BOA system allows for a tighter fit than traditional laces, but i also know a few people that broke theirs. Mine have been working great for 2 years, and the boots that broke were all lower-end boots, so this leads me to think that the quality of the system lines up with the quality of the boot. So if youre looking into the higher end boots, and can choose between a boa and a traditional, I'd suggest a BOA for a better fit, more support and more response. just my 2 cents, feel free to disagree.

lonerider -

I have narrow (B width) feet. I have a pair of 3 year old Salomon F24 boots that fit great until late this year. Now I find that my toes get jammed into the front.

Unfortunately, with the F Series boots, the liner is fused to the shell & I can't replace the liners or put anything between the liners & shell.

Do you find that the Nitro Team boots work well for narrow feet? I don't know of any local shops that carry them. I'd like to try some out before I bought them.

I went back this season and had a lot more fun..especiallly in the late season......I was just using the Solomon Malamutes , Catek Freerides and an K2 Zeppelin..soft nose butr a lot of fun.......Im waiting on a Madd Freeride 159 WC and hope to have more fun and edge hold this next season.....ou rhill is closed now....but am looking forward to next year.theres a nice sounding Donek Incline 155 on the FOR SSALE. classifieds......has anybody tried the Burton Driver X boots are they really that easy to slip into and ride as the Burton site says?......the Malammute laces are a lot of adjusting especially if you get to the hill in a dark parking lot situation.........

lonerider -

I have narrow (B width) feet. I have a pair of 3 year old Salomon F24 boots that fit great until late this year. Now I find that my toes get jammed into the front.

Do you find that the Nitro Team boots work well for narrow feet? I don't know of any local shops that carry them. I'd like to try some out before I bought them.

Right, what I've found wearing Salomon boots for the last 5 years or so is that the liner packs out a LOT. In particular, it packs out in the "kink" just above your ankle (as this area has a lot of pressure on it). This leads to heel lift up and ankle slide forward.

What Nitro boots really well with is narrow ankles as that's the main "securing" point in the boot. If you are interested in "trying" them, I know that backcountry.com sells them and has a 30-day return policy (you just pay like $8 to ship it back to them). They have some Nitro Team TLS (TLS is like the Salomon's quick-pull lacing system, except it lets you tighten upper and lower portions separately) for like 40% off.

I have only had about 15 days on the Nitro Teams this season, so I don't know about their durability (I've read reviews saying they've lasted well over 50 days).

Louis,

You will find that you have to flex your ankles more in soft boots. By the end of the day your calves may be a little more sore than normal. As for driving your turns with your knees, it's pretty much the same as a hard set-up provided you have fairly steep angles on your bindings. I ride about 45 front and 48 back and CONSTANTLY drive with my knees but definately use more ankles than I do with hard boots. As far as stiff soft boots, don't bother getting real stiff ones. A medium flexed soft boot will do just fine. Remember the idea (for me at least) is that you want a little more flex in the boots, bindings and board while soft riding otherwise just stick to hard riding.

Guest JoelO

Doesn't the Malamute has an ankle strap to prevent heel lift? I just bought this year's Malamute, but haven't actually tried it on the slope. Can't wait to try it though. Going to Tahoe at the end of the month, hope the snow is still decent.

Doesn't the Malamute has an ankle strap to prevent heel lift? I just bought this year's Malamute, but haven't actually tried it on the slope. Can't wait to try it though. Going to Tahoe at the end of the month, hope the snow is still decent.
Yes, the ankle strap it pretty good at preventing heel lift, but the strap is attached into the shell above the liner, if you ankle was so skinny that it plus the liner tongue was still lower than the attachment point of the strap, then you will still get a bit of heel lift. I found this starting to happen a after the liner started to pack out a bit.