Note to New Members ×

quiver

skatha

What the heck - sell the car, avoid stairs, grow your own food, stay indoors, wash hands regularly....just trying to point out that you are over-reacting to getting hurt while participating in a sport...it happens...usually about once a year for me. It's part of the deal...you'll be back. :biggthump

Hey Cuban, how you doing?

The rest of my year has been going pretty well. PNW weather has been very erratic - we've had everything in the past week from 50 degrees and sunny, to 15 degrees and snowing. The snowpack has taken a hit, but we've been getting a little bit of fresh and could get more in the next week.

I saw you finally got a couple of snow storms on the East Coast - that must have been nice. How are you fixed for snow now?

Riding with you guys at Big Mtn. and then with the PNW crew at the Oregon Expression Session has given me lots to think about - hope there's enough days left in the season to try to put some of it into practice.

• 2 weeks later...
What the heck - sell the car, avoid stairs, grow your own food, stay indoors, wash hands regularly....just trying to point out that you are over-reacting to getting hurt while participating in a sport...it happens...usually about once a year for me. It's part of the deal...you'll be back. :biggthump

hmmmm....

I make my living writing with my right hand and walking...most of my day is spent standing....

I like hiking and biking....

I've been threatened with needing an ankle fusion to treat a snowboarding injury. Thankfully, the cadaveric bone graft worked well and I'll still be able to hike and bike in the future.

I recently(as in 3/30) went through the drive thru at Chic-Fil-a to get my kids lunch. I reached back to put 3 drinks on the floorboard behind the front passenger sheet and had my shoulder pop out of joint. This too is related to a dislocated shoulder sustained last April at The Canyons. Thankfully, I got knocked out at the ER to re-locate the shoulder-I didn't have that option at the clinic in Park City. But now I have to have a shoulder recon, too-my right arm BTW. Gonna make it hard to do my job. Just like the neurosurgeon I work with who stopped skiing after he broke both thumbs, there's little point to continue when I run such a big risk of further injury that is career threatening, and, in the case of my ankle, possibly career ending.

Yes, I could die in a car wreck tomorrow-that would be a horrible accident.

Me strapping a waxed plank to my feet and speeding down a mountain would be self-inflicted and, at this point, hard to justify taking the risk, not with 8 and 10 year old kids I've got to fund through college.

So at this point, it's all up for sale....

Burton Alp 59, got from Kirk for $75(plus shipping)

Catek 2s-new, give me a price(plus shipping)

I'm with skatha on this one. I know several doctors that made the same desicion, unfortunatly. Its a hard one to make, but not with family involved. Hopefully its a desicion I hope to never have to make because I don't know what else I'd do in my winters. Start back up when kids are in college and you've retired. We'll miss you and I wish you the best of luck.

+another on the skatha train.

It's really a matter of lifestyle. Snowboarding is an "unnecessary" risk. Life will go on (for some of us anyway) without snowboarding. Kind of hard to get by in life avoiding the stairs, car, and grocery store :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Me, I'm a little kid. No one is depending on my paycheck for food (not even myself). My career is at stake to a certain degree, but I like to believe that I'm wolverine (I get hurt, but i heal too).

As for pulling your kids out of it... you can do that now. Shelter them while you can, just be careful of it backfiring. I know it did with my parents. Once I got older and a bit of freedom, I did anything and everything with little to no moderation. The craziest kids in college are often times the ones that were the most sheltered (they also happen to be among the most naive -- *points to self*). Now at 24, I'm doing a bunch of stuff I missed out on as a kid.

Anyway, good luck with that :biggthump:biggthump

Yup, I've got a fat disability policy too-I know enough from dealing with my patients trying to get disability that it's like pulling hen's teeth to get, let alone maintaining your self-respect in the process.....

Sorry...

Plus, it's got a 6 month exclusion...I'd rather save it for if I get cancer

Brass tack time...

Catek OS2, short plate, new, in box $250 plus shipping

Burton Alp, with the 3 hole plate for the Cateks.....$75 plus shipping(I'm throwing in the $40 plate as a bonus)-it's a 157, I misspoke about the length.

My 168 4807-I found my original bill of sale-thought I scored it for $125 but I didn't-$275...It's never used as well

Nidecker Proto 59-I'd like to get $300 for it...

Just to let everyone know, I'm keeping my Donek, my X-bone bindings, and my LeMans boots...you never know

Oh, and my 178 4807....too pretty to sell