Specs on the Veyron

Type: Quad-Turbocharged W16

Displacement cu in (cc): 488 (7993)

Power bhp (kW) at RPM: 1001(736) / 6000

Torque lb-ft (Nm) at RPM: 923(1250) / 2200-5500

Redline at RPM: 6500

Brakes & Tires

Brakes F/R: ABS, vented disc/vented disc

Tires F-R: 265-680 ZR500A - 365-710 R540A (PAX System)

Driveline: All Wheel Drive

Exterior Dimensions & Weight

Length × Width × Height in: 174.2 × 77.9 × 47

Weight lb (kg): 4162 (1888)

Performance

Acceleration 0-62 mph s: 2.5

Top Speed mph (km/h): 253 (407)

Fuel Economy EPA city/highway mpg (l/100 km): n.a. (24.1)

Base Price: 2006 Bugatti Veyron 16.4 - Approx. $1,700,000 (last update: 1/19/2007)

The British car program Top Gear had the proto one, and the guy drove it from Italy to London in 12 hours. He raced his friend who was flying overland in a small plane and they made it back to London at about the same time (admittedly the guy in the plane couldn't fly through the night).

I loved the rear spoiler - over a certain speed it just slides up from the back of the car to stop you turning into a low flying missile ... fantastic.

And yes, it is damn expensive - but it's an amazing piece of engineering. I read somewhere that the actual cost of the thing is much closer to $5m. Per unit. So it's a bargain for anyone who buys it. :)

Top gear is a great show!!

Some specs:

0-60MPH 2.5 seconds

Flat out it will burn it's entire load of 100 litres of fuel in 12 minutes

It's brakes are just insane, It can come to a complete stop from it's top speed of 400+ in 10 seconds about 4 foot ball fields in length

if you lined up the McLaren F1 and the Veyron side by side in a drag race

you can let the McLaren get to 120MPH as a head start the Veyron would still beat it to 200MPH!!!

It actually is produced at a loss by VW as they wanted to see how far they can push the current tecnology they have... Top Gear quoted that it cost's VW 5 million Pounds Sterling to build.....

Incredible car...

Still think the F1 McLaren would beat it around a race track though.....

Like the guy I was parked behind once in a Ferrari, who obviously got sick of waiting for the lights to change, so he revs the **** out of it, dumps the clutch, and U turns up and over the traffic divider ... which was about 8 inches high, in a car with no ground clearance. All this scraping and screaming from the undercarriage before he bumps off the island and tears off the other direction. Tossers like that should be held down and beaten to death.

I wonder what the insurance bill is for the Bugatti - I'm guessing aftermarket spare parts might be a bit hard to come by...

The engine is actually something over 1001 hp - when they originally anounced it, they said 1001 hp DIN which is less than 1000 normal hp. But Bugatti now says the engine is considerably stronger than that, but still spec it at 1001 hp DIN or normal.

It only goes to 253 if you put it into a special top speed mode, which lowers it to a couple inches clearance and retracts the wing to reduce drag. Makes it a little squirrelier, so it's pretty much a straight line machine at that point. The driver I read about said it was some work keeping it on the track as it was wandering a bit.

I wonder what the insurance bill is for the Bugatti - I'm guessing aftermarket spare parts might be a bit hard to come by...

I wouldn't be surprised if the car is worth more now if it's totaled... at least as far parting it out goes. Hmmm... maybe they should part out the owner too.

It's not totalled, Bugatti is going to be repairing it. The owner will be getting a CONSIDERABLE bill for the work.

And yes, the driver will probally be blacklisted by the uber-car industry, I know that Ferarri for one will not be letting him have any of their limited vehicles (just so you know- high end ferarri's come with a contract of what you can and can't do with your new ferarri; i.e.- if you crash it, you lose it, no bumper stickers, etc.). The guy won't be picking up an Enzo anytime soon.