Note to New Members ×

Fernie or Schweitzer?

Dan

I had so much fun this year that I'm already laying plans for my next ski trip in January 2008. The basic outline is: Amtrak from Portland to Whitefish, ride Big Mountain for three days, and then either: 1) Ride Fernie for 3 days and hop the train home or 2) Hop the train home, debark at Sandpoint ID, and ride Schweitzer for three days.

Should I pick #1 or #2? Which has better trails/cheaper restaurants and lodging?

Thanks!

I had so much fun this year that I'm already laying plans for my next ski trip in January 2008. The basic outline is: Amtrak from Portland to Whitefish, ride Big Mountain for three days, and then either: 1) Ride Fernie for 3 days and hop the train home or 2) Hop the train home, debark at Sandpoint ID, and ride Schweitzer for three days.

Should I pick #1 or #2? Which has better trails/cheaper restaurants and lodging?

Thanks!

Ive never been to Schweitzer but i can tell you Fernie ROCKS :biggthump incredible mountain!!!!!!

wow, you can get a train from your area to all of those? thats aweome maybe I'll go with you!

:)

You <b>can</b> actually get a train to Sandpoint and Whitefish from Portland. :biggthump

A Fernie trip would have to be by car from Whitefish. :-(

Fernie's not really a carver's mountain. More suited to freeride or skiis. Also, the weather is wacky there. Pouring rain one day, dry powder the next.

I'll second this. I really don't like Fernie, and it is definitely not a carvers mountain - but it looks like it could be a heap of fun on softies for a good rider. Plus lift tickets at $74???